Please teach this forum to remove pictures from quotes

Enceos

Lots of people don't bother to remove pictures when they quote smb. In many cases their quotes end up hundreds times longer than their message.

99% of the time pictures are not needed, people just use the quote button to avoid a hassle of typing someone's name, because there's no obvious "Reply" button.

Please teach this forum engine to remove pictures from quotes. Those who'd like to preserve pictures will go and copy them by hand.

Edited by Enceos

I'm not sure the software supports this option directly. You can, of course, collapse quotes you find too long if they bother you. Just click the little arrow by the name at the top of the quote.

14 hours ago, Enceos said:

because there's no obvious "Reply" button

Not sure how much more obvious it could be. It's a large colored button at the top of each page and an open text entry box at the bottom of each page.

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'm not sure the software supports this option directly. You can, of course, collapse quotes you find too long if they bother you.

That's exactly the same poor excuse that was used when this very same issue came up for the old vBulletin forum. People kept saying it could not be done despite other fora already using that very feature. It was just a matter of installing the appropriate plug-in. After a lot of lobbying the forum admins finally came about and it was installed.

If vBulletin could do it it would surprise me if this piece of crap can not.

8 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@Red Iron Crown The "Reply to this topic" button just sends us to the text box. We need a way to tag people without having to type their name manually.

Do we? It might be useful sometimes but I don't really see it as a pressing issue, and indeed I am sure there are many members who would object to making it easier to tag them.

8 minutes ago, Enceos said:

And the pics in quotes are really not doing us service, don't you think?

Personally I don't find it bothersome, and it is sometimes helpful. I can see where people who are bandwidth constrained would dislike it if the quote is on another page I guess.

8 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Personally I don't find it bothersome, and it is sometimes helpful. I can see where people who are bandwidth constrained would dislike it if the quote is on another page I guess.

People abuse the quote option just as a quick way to tag/ping a person and many don't bother trimming the quote. It is possible to teach the forum to just reduce the image size to a thumbnail, if you find them useful.

My personal grudge is that I frequently encounter several quoters who, one after another, quoted a post with 5 fullscreen images just to write the word "Cool!"

Edited by Enceos

18 hours ago, Enceos said:

People abuse the quote option just as a quick way to tag/ping a person and many don't bother trimming the quote. It is possible to teach the forum to just reduce the image size to a thumbnail, if you find them useful.

Well, I'm no programmer. If you can locate a plugin that does this for IPS we can see about implementing it (start here, I couldn't find one in a cursory search but it's very much possible I missed it). Or, barring that, I guess someone could write one.

18 hours ago, Enceos said:

My personal grudge is that I frequently encounter several quoters who, one after another, quoted a post with 5 fullscreen images just to write the word "Cool!"

Agree, that's pretty annoying.

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Agree, that's pretty annoying.

I wonder if there is a way to have the quote collapse into a spoiler-esque bar if the quote is over a certain line length or contains more than x images?

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
spolier is not a word :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.