Science after maxing out the Tree

Cornholio

Hello, all.  When you max out the tree (modded or non-modded) what do you do with extra science?  I always assumed that patent licensing would be a great way to convert any science gain into $$$ (I recently learned that it's not all science that gets converted).  Is there a mod that either converts all science or something niftier that I have yet to discover?

Personally, when it gets to that point, I tend to just view science as my "score" and see how much of it I can rack up by exploring everything everywhere.  :)

I never see any point in bothering to convert it into funds, because by the time I get to that stage of my career, I generally have funds coming out of my ears and finances simply aren't any concern at all-- I can basically launch whatever I want as many times as I want.

My current solution to this issue is to run some combination of Community Tech Tree, DMagic orbital science, Karbonite/K+, Near Future Propulsion, MKS, EPL, and Alcubierre Drive.

While DMagic means a lot more science overall, Community Tech Tree massively expands the size of the tech tree (and the science cost of filling it out,) and the high-tech mods actually put useful parts into those expensive technology nodes. (Whereas the stock tech tree has a lot of nodes worth 550, and a handful worth 1000, the overpowered Karborundum Engines and super-high ISP ion engines are in nodes valued from 3k-5k, and the Alcubierre Drive node is worth 10K. I've never actually gotten that high in career mode.)

While a lot of the higher-end parts in these mods are decidedly "overpowered," the science and Tech buy-in costs (not to mention part costs) of getting them are so high that you'll have sent many conventional missions around the solar system before your game becomes completely sci-fi - and by then, you're in what might be called the "end-game" already, at which point I'm not really opposed to overpowered toys.

TL;DR: Instead of maxing out the tech tree around the Mun and Minmus, use Community Tech Tree to make the Tech Tree longer!

I have science yield set to 10% (or whatever the lowest amount there is) and just "buy" the nodes by buying science when I can afford it. That way all the resources keep being relevant (money and reputation) even when I'm done researching the tech tree. My career is obviously modded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.