Base customization/Off-world facility mod?

Ryu Gemini

I am wondering if there is a mod like this already, or if it is even possible. 

After thinking on the subject a bit, I came to the conclusion that my ideal base construction mod would NOT be something based on any sort of parts themselves.  Instead, it would be something that lets you build actual buildings (i.e. the same kind of object that the actual space center's buildings themselves are).

Once a building is constructed, it could either be upgraded with funds (if on Kerbin/a populated world), or with some sort of "Parts" or "Supplies" resource (if on NOT-Kerbin/an unpopulated world).

At its core, it could simply be a mod that lets you build the Kerbal Space Center the way YOU want it to be layed out.  You would start out with a single building that lets you purchase/place another building, in a vaguely sim-city style, where you want said building (in a career mode, the first one you'd get would probably place would be the rocket launchpad, and some of the administrative buildings, which for purposes of balance would all cost 0 for the level 1 version).  The starting building itself could be upgraded to increase the number of different buildings you can build. 

A necessary aspect of the mod would be the launch button in the vehicle designer bringing up a short list of all nearby launchpads and runways (in case you decide to build more than one, such as having two runways facing different directions).

Another necessary aspect would be the ability to switch between different space centers, and a part that allows you to build the lowest level version of the building you build all other buildings from (in a sense, using the part places a new space center at that location).  So you could build another KSC on the north pole if you wanted or something. 

Lastly, there would need to be a tag or value for a planet that basically tells the mod whether or not it is a populated planet, so that you can't just construct bases on other planets that work the same way that the KSC does. 

Either way, once you had this, the next step would be to apply it to other planets.  On other worlds, instead of currency, there would presumably be some combination cost of ore (easy to get there), parts/supplies (have to bring with you until you have a building capable of manufacturing it from ore and energy), and in some cases construction time based on energy and how many kerbals are there to work on it.  In the event a building is destroyed, it would leave rubble behind that you can select and repair for the appropriate resources, just like the default buildings. 

If the mod were to just keep itself light, it could be that you can only build structures for things like hangars (buildings that store/unload a nearby vessel until you want it to be spawned again either outside the hangar, or at the base's launchpad), habitation (basically, like the training center except you cannot recruit new astronauts there, only store the ones you have so you can put them into any ships you take out of hangars). 

If you wanted to go further, you can also have VABs and/or SPHs, which could only use parts that you actually have there, or which can only work if you have some sort of factory building to produce the parts there (the level of which could effectively correspond to what research level of parts can be used there). 

I could go on listing various things that could be cool, but I've already rambled enough.  Are there any mods that let you build actual BUILDINGS?  Not just building-like parts, but true, proper buildings?

Edited by Ryu Gemini

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Ryu Gemini said:

So is it actually possible to mess around with the "building/structure" objects in this game much via mods?

As far as I know - not really.  There are some ways to add/move bases on Kerbin - but only at KSP load, not anything dynamic.  (And they all operate as if they are one base.)

Kerbal Konstructs allows you to build bases similar to the KSC while in game. 

Building does require a ship present at the location, but doesn't require resources so you would have to somehow roleplay that aspect. It is a very ambitious mod with a lot of capability, but also a steep learning curve, so be prepared to study the forums a bit for answers. 

Unfortunately, it's not very interactive. It has built-in LiquidFuel and Oxidizer tanks, but afaik doesn't allow to enter a room or store custom resources, or make a working plant or so.

You can build a mockup of base, but to operate with it you still need to make vessels.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.