[1.12] Explodium Breathing Engines v1.8.0: "Jet" engines for use on Eve and Jool [10 OCT 2021]

Gordon Fecyk

Edit: SOLVED (see next post)

Could use some ideas about how to troubleshoot using this mod... been trying for a few days and just can't get a working spaceplane on Eve. It seems like maybe there's something up with ModuleResourceHarvester in 1.12.3 - I'm just not getting any Explodium vapor into my engines. I created a test plane and used Hyperedit to place it on Eve... Here's what's on the plane:

non-Explodium Breathing parts: mk2 cockpit, control surfaces, mk2 engine adaptor, landing gear

parts from this mod: mk2 oxidizer fuselage, big Ox delta wings, a J-X5 "Beelzebub" ramjet, and four XV-G51 harvesters for ExV (overkill, just to be sure)

I landed the jet in the Eve Midlands biome, pointed it downhill and let it roll until it hit > 20 m/s ground speed, and then fired the engine.... instant flameout! The harvester part says it has a vapor rate > 2/sec, but the ExV filter has the note "nothing to harvest"

Advice on how to get past this problem? **Edit: I should note that I went into the resource definition config file and upped the ExV concentration by a factor of 10, thinking it would help. It didn't, but it did result in really high vapor rates

hBcJQxU.png

Edited by attosecond

Follow-up: stock game + Explodium Breathing Engines + HyperEdit, same result.

Doesn't appear this mod is working on 1.12.3

Added even more harvesters, and the engine fired up! Just didn't have enough, apparently...

Edited by attosecond

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, PrimeDirective96 said:

How would one add the Explodium Vapour resource to another planet's atmosphere in say a planet pack config?

Make a copy of one of the PLANETARY_RESOURCE nodes from Resources/ExplodiumVapour.cfg. Replace the PlanetName field with the (internal) name of the body you want the resource to be on, and replace the MinAbundance and MaxAbundance fields with the concentration (in percent) of hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

I did this for GEP, and it worked great.

Alternatively, you could probably do all of what I describe with a Module Manager patch, but I'm not sure what the exact syntax for that would be.

13 hours ago, Leganeski said:

Make a copy of one of the PLANETARY_RESOURCE nodes from Resources/ExplodiumVapour.cfg. Replace the PlanetName field with the (internal) name of the body you want the resource to be on, and replace the MinAbundance and MaxAbundance fields with the concentration (in percent) of hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.

I did this for GEP, and it worked great.

Alternatively, you could probably do all of what I describe with a Module Manager patch, but I'm not sure what the exact syntax for that would be.

Thank you so much!

Question: How much does changing the concentration percentage affect engine performance?

Edited by PrimeDirective96

1 hour ago, PrimeDirective96 said:

How much does changing the concentration percentage affect engine performance?

I don't think it does; it instead affects the rate at which air intakes harvest explodium from the air. You don't need much: I was able to operate a Sphinx engine with a single diverterless supersonic intake at 1% concentration.

4 hours ago, PrimeDirective96 said:

Question: How much does changing the concentration percentage affect engine performance?

The harvest rate that you get depends on the product of the abundance you set, the current atmophere pressure and your given air speed. The deeper or faster you fly, the better you scoop. After that comes the matter of if you're burning it faster than you're scooping it.

1 hour ago, Leganeski said:

1% concentration.

It's amazing how effective a "trace element" can be at what it does. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.