universe corruption

so i play with a whole ton of mods, which most of the time works just fine.  sometimes, however, Something Terrible will happen spontaneously and it renders the game (both current saves and brand new ones) completely unplayable. i've never been able to pin down the source and i sure would love to so i could figure out the culprit.  sadly, even describing the problem is quite difficult, but perhaps the best way is that motion and velocity don't... work properly any more.  a good example of this is maneuver nodes:

in a 100km kerbin orbit i told mechjeb to create a maneuver node for an eve transfer. i made this gif at 1000x warp.  the maneuver node drifts (and seems to match up with the procession of the anti-target marker) over time.  likewise, if one actually tries a transfer orbit (even to the mun), your destination mysteriously ends up at some other point in its orbit when you actually arrive.

i'm throwing this out there in the hope that someone will recognise this issue and help identify what has gone wrong.  it never appears immediately after i add a mod, but rather after a lot of playing on a save.

Either you have a kraken attack or your maneuver placement is not optimal. IDK, but mostly stuff like this is caused by glitches or bug when adding a mod. So yeah, my guess is you are being attacked by kraken

Your gif doesn't really tell about anything weird, apart that you made a node almost 2 years in the future. The synodic period of Eve from Kerbin is 679.9553 kerbin days, therefore is guaranteed that the first possible transfer window can't be beyond that; however Mechjeb placed the node at (1 year = 426.09 days) + 399 days + (5 h = 0.83 days) = 825.92 days in the future.

The node "drifting" isn't anything weird. Given you were in a 1000x timewarp, SAS wasn't keeping the ship oriented, so the node would move away from the "nose" of the ship even if you actually tracked the node (which you hadn't). The direction of the burn at the node position remains fixed in space; you see that direction move because of the relative position on the orbit of your vessel changing, but the change is relative to the body you are orbiting, while remaining fixed in space (and that goes with the Eve antitarget marker too). Do the same with a stock (unmodded) KSP install, you'll find the effect just as well.

Isn't clear what you state with "if one actually tries a transfer orbit (even to the mun), your destination mysteriously ends up at some other point in its orbit when you actually arrive.". If you set up a transfer manually so to show an encounter, executing it correctly will bring to the encounter (may require some mid-course adjustment for interplanetary transfers, certainly not for Mun). If the transfer is planned by MechJeb and doesn't fit, that is a MechJeb issue to be reported with that add-on thread (but is probably due to other add-ons interfering, MechJeb alone isn't known to make such evident errors). Bodies in the KSP universe don't move erratically, not even while using Principia: their position with time strictly follows keplerian laws, so if they "mysteriously" end somewhere else is because the time of your transfer isn't the same of what was planned. Which most often is caused by navigation errors.

no principia

here's a list of what i play with:

Spoiler

alternate resource panel
aviation lights
all the b9 packs
comm resource packs
comm tech tree
comm terrain texture pack
custom barn kit
deployable engines
distant object enhancement
dmagic science
editor extensions
eve
filter extensions
firespitter
hangar extender
hyperedit
indicator lights
interstellar fuel switch
k aircraft expansion
k attachment
k inventory
kopernicus
lithobrake exploration
mark iv
mechjeb
mk3 stockalike
modactions
modular flight integrator
mm
navball adjustor
all the near future packs
opm
planetshine
realchute
scatterer
sigma dimensions
smart parts
spacey heavy/expanded
texturereplacer
timecontrol
toadicus
toolbar
totaltime
trajectories
tweakable everything
tweakscale
universal storage
usi tools/exploration/core

it's clear that my difficulty in explaining the issue is even moreso than i realised.  i've put thousands of hours into this game over a 4 year timespan... i'd like to think i can tell when something is fundamentally Wrong.

here's another example: often, when it reaches this state, if i create a maneuver node and start burning it, the remaining delta-v count will go up.  that indicates to me that something is rotten in the state of kerbin.

15 hours ago, antgeth said:

here's another example: often, when it reaches this state, if i create a maneuver node and start burning it, the remaining delta-v count will go up.  that indicates to me that something is rotten in the state of kerbin.

That is what happens anytime thrust is applied in a direction away from the correct maneuver (more than 90° from that). You certainly know that being the result when overburning a maneuver (applying more than the required DV), after having reached the minimum. The DV counter shows the amount required to fulfill the maneuver (that is, how much the current ship velocity vector is away from the required ship velocity vector) irrelevant of the direction. If that happens while correctly aiming at the maneuver marker, one of the following is the probable cause: burning at a orbital position very far from the node position; using engines thrusting in a direction different than the root part axis; or a bug with the marker placement. The latter could be verified by using an alternative way to place navigation nodes (e.g. if you experience the bug using MechJeb, check if the same happens executing any maneuver with a manually placed node).

10 hours ago, diomedea said:

That is what happens anytime thrust is applied in a direction away from the correct maneuver (more than 90° from that). You certainly know that being the result when overburning a maneuver (applying more than the required DV), after having reached the minimum. The DV counter shows the amount required to fulfill the maneuver (that is, how much the current ship velocity vector is away from the required ship velocity vector) irrelevant of the direction. If that happens while correctly aiming at the maneuver marker, one of the following is the probable cause: burning at a orbital position very far from the node position; using engines thrusting in a direction different than the root part axis; or a bug with the marker placement. The latter could be verified by using an alternative way to place navigation nodes (e.g. if you experience the bug using MechJeb, check if the same happens executing any maneuver with a manually placed node).

sadly it does indeed happen when burning right on the node (both in space and time), with a variety of different ships, and regardless of how the node was created.

honestly i'm not really expecting a fix for this, since it's so difficult both to describe and replicate.  i've since made a new copy of the game and re-modded it (i have yet to try copying the save file i was in the middle of over).  i just hope that someone else might have encountered this issue who has a clue as to the culprit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.