Newbie question on acquiring science

All,

I keep hearing there is some "trick" to acquiring science.  What do people mean by this?  Am I supposed to get a science read with thermometer/barometer/goo and then EVA and let my kerbal grab it and bring it back to the capsule?  

Will my capsule store everything I grab that way?  If so, how do I grab that info?  Just bring my kerbal close to the science instrument and hit ???

Thx
jonpfl

In essence, yes. When your Kerbal gets close enough to an instrument, right-click it and then hit "take data". You can get one of each experiment from each biome and store them in your capsule. You can also transmit the reusable experiments (not Goo or science Jr) to get some science, then bring the hard data home to receive full value for it.

Alternatively, if you've unlocked it, you can just use the data collection box (experiment storage unit). It makes collecting multiple samples quite a bit easier.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

Or, if you're early in the game and can't even EVA yet, you can just recover the whole vessel. If you recover the science parts, the science will still be in them (if you haven't removed it with a Kerbal) :)

Science is a huge portion of the game, and there are many many tricks to it:

Accessing all the minibiomes at KSC (and the several tricks involved with that). Getting "landed" science from biomes when you are "splashed". Finding the places on each CB (especially Kerbin) where the biomes are concentrated in a small area. Getting EVA reports while jumping. Getting science reports while you are hanging on a ladder. Carrying multiple copies of science reports while you are on EVA. Storing copies of science reports in pods. How the external command seat can help. Using the mini science container. Knowing that the advanced relay antennas and probe cores are also mini science containers. The benefits of having a scientist on board.

But yes, the basics are that you are in a vessel. You take a reading  You go on EVA and get close to the device. You right click on it to open its context menu. You click "Take Data" or "Download Data". You maybe take an EVA report. Then you board your vessel again. The science reports get stored in the vessel's command pod, and the device is usually ready to be used again. (Except there are some tricks there with using scientists to do the EVA.)

There are alot of little tricks for gaining more science.  as mentioned above pulling results out help alot, as you can then run new test. and it gets easier when you unlock the science container since it can do it for you much faster.

one of the biggest tips i can give is to learn what are global and biome specific, as well as the altitude marks different levels.  and after that(if you not opposed to using information sources)  study some biome maps.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science can give you alot of that info. and has links to the planet and moon pages so you can find the biome maps

with that information in hand, its best to plan your mission before launch.  eg. where are you going, and what biomes will you pass along the way.  WHen fully planned you can create a checklist and grab them as you go.

If you upgrade to get your EVA for when you reach orbit,  the first time your in orbit you can grab a miminum of 5 EVA reports in low orbit.

You can also often get an extra EVA report when your landed on a surface by jumping and quickly hittin report. so long as you havent got that biome yet lol

It should be mentioned that gathering science doesn't have any real effect in the sandbox mode of the game however. You can still take the readings during a sandbox game, but there is no value to the data.

Gathering science is a required element of gameplay in science mode and career mode, of course, as it allows you to unlock technology. All technology is already unlocked in sandbox mode.

Edited by HvP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.