Gordon Dry

How to swap crew members in a full vessel?

10 posts in this topic

Or when an air lock is attached but this is also occupied?

How to swap the seat2 of the pod with the seat0 of the airlock, for example?

Like in life - someone has to go out, wait on the ladders. :)

1 person likes this

This is bad.

What if the seat next to the hatch is occupied by a tourist? Very bad circumstance, right?

@SQUAD: crew member swapping when no free seat available should be possible.

Moving to Suggestions.

1 person likes this

Unless the craft is filled with tourists, someone should be able to EVA correct?   ...did you leave the ground with tourists occupying a pilots seat?  ...and put your crew in a cabin with no doors?  I 'think' a little pre-planning solves the problem, am I missing something?

If the need is dife enough you can send in a crew pod with a claw. Latch on, while not realistic you can now move crew into the spare pod and move them around.

On 17-7-2017 at 3:39 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Like in life - someone has to go out, wait on the ladders. :)

So if you want to switch seats with someone on a moving train, you're going to open the door and hang down the side of the carriage? :wink:

It's plausible enough that there is enough space inside a module to temporarily stow a Kerbal if you want to swap seats. After all, how are they going to get to the door if they're in the farmost seat away from it? If Kerbals can magically pass through anything (including fuel tanks, girders and 0,625m adapters) when you transfer crew, then a Kerbal in the target seat shouldn't be in the way.

My suggestion: If you want to transfer crew to an already-full module or a full seat, the Kerbal in that seat gets kicked out and moved to the first available seat on the craft. If the craft is completely full, their places will get swapped.

Extending this logic will also allow entry or exiting of a craft via a module that is full, when a Kerbal wants to enter, they get moved into the first empty seat that exists. If there is none, "Cannot enter, craft is full" error pops up.

Conversely, if a Kerbal wants to EVA but the hatch on the module they are in is obstructed, the nearest unobstructed EVA hatch can be chosen. Right now, the method to do exactly that is transfer to the module with unobstructed hatch, then exit, which seems counterintuitive.

1 person likes this

On 7/23/2017 at 11:23 PM, Stoney3K said:

So if you want to switch seats with someone on a moving train, you're going to open the door and hang down the side of the carriage? :wink:

I noticed the smiley, and I assume that there was some humor in the post. I would still like to reply with a serious note. Perhaps pictures can revealthe difference between a train and a typical spacecraft.

Soyuz with its 3 typical passengers/crew:

CV75-ejWEAEx1Cp.jpg-large-512x341.jpg

Commuter train with 3 typical passengers:

alamy-2.jpg

2 people like this

The conversation seems to be turning from "How can I swap crew members?" into "Why can't I swap them the way I want?"  

...which is of far less interest to me.

Agreed - it would be really nice if there was mod to let you, say, go into a menu and drag nametags around to swap crew quarters.   

Yeah, you can do it manually with either EVA or the transfer crew button.  But that can take a really long time if you're moving a lot of kerbals (as I have been lately with my tourism industry).  And it's fairly easy to forget who's supposed to go where when you have to do them one by one.