Spacecraft names

stanNL_97

I like the name Daedalus.

He was Icarus' father who flew from his prison to land, while his son (Icarus) flew too close to the sun and melted the wax that was holding his wings together and fell to his death

okay, Starlight, Quest, Endeavor, Persistence, Hope, Freedom, Independence, Columbia, Eagle, Odyssey, Aquarius, Tesla, Holland, Berlin, Beethoven, Unity, Strength, Prosperity, Domino, Chocleam, Aqueon, Justified, Iguana, Yeti, Wolf, Rose, Ivy, and, without further ado, the *insert project name here* Kyle J. Kerman (example, The Gourami V Kyle J. Kerman)

• 2 weeks later...

List of my craft names:

--------------------------

Accelleron

AmpiSat

Angel

Anhinga

Ascension

Astra

Clipper

Concord

Corona

Cougar

Crescent

Cyclone

Dart

Dawn

Deep Space Surveyor

Defender

Dragonfly

Explorer

Firelight

Goldleaf

Goshawk

Helix

Ibis

Kestrel

Kittiwake

Leviathan

Mercedies

Munar Searcher

Observer

Osprey

Polar Searcher

PoleComms

Puma

Quantum

Relay Conveyor

Sanctuary Conveyor

Scorch

Sea Vulture

Seagull

Seahawk Rescue

Sealynx

Searchlight

Sentry

Shadow

Silicon

Sincerity

Skypper

Softwhale

Softwing

Solar Observer

Solstice

Sparrow

Spirit

Starbus

StarHab

Starlight

Storm Petrel

Stormfront

Sunbird

Sunrise

Surveyor

Surveyor Advanced

Sweep

Swift

Talon

Transit

Tsinoy

Velocity

Vulcan

Werewolf

Wildcat

Wildfire

Wolfe

Aquila

Aspiration

Marauder

Orca

Polar Venturer

Seafox

Seakittyhawk

Seavixen

Spiral

Summersky

Valkyrie

Vauxhall

Vortex

Vulture

Mine usually have military style designations. SO is "Simple Orbiter", ORRV stands for "Orbit Rescue and Retrieval Vehicle". But those are usually the common missions with no advanced goal. SO is just for testings things like ORRV.

Now, when I get to do fantastic missions with special goals in mind, I name my craft properly. I tried a space station once, name Garfield station. It... didn't go well...

I build my rockets by building the main rocket first and saving it. I would give it a name, but the ones I use are extended to be launched by a multistage launcher.

I designate them by

Example, lets say the main rocket is called Main Rocket, the first one to be extended would be called MRMS-1, MR stands for Main Rocket, MS would be Multistage and the number at the back would tell me which extension model was it. If a extended model is modified and has a specific purpose, I would add a word at the end of the designation, for example, a model called FFMS-1 is equipped with lasers(using sunbeam laser mod) I would call it FFMS-1 Laser.

My rockets have a simple naming scheme:

{Job / Destination} Bastard {Version Number (using phonetic alphabet)}

So, my first version of a rocket intending to go into orbit would be Orbit Bastard Able. The seventh would be Orbit Bastard Golf. If I then decided I'd had enough testing and was heading to the Mun that rocket would become Mun Bastard Able. The eighth version of that would be Mun Bastard Hotel, which sounds like a band name.

As for the Bastard in the middle? My wife asked me about that, and my response, through gritted teeth as I tried to keep Mun Bastard Juliet pointed the right way was "Oh, they're <i>all</i> bastards..."

• 4 weeks later...

i name my rockets after poems, bible characters, or random things. Ex. My rocket light lifter rocket is part of the "David" series of rockets. My medium lifter is part of the "Ozymandias" series. I then name my payloads differently. So for example, my current favorite Mun lander is called the Kal-El II. I put that Kal-El II on top of my Ozymandias VIII Rocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.