What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Landed two rovers on the Mun (Mun Explorer 1 and Mun Explorer 2). I did a lot of DMagic-Science and sent the results back to Kerbin to get the parts I need for my manned Mun mission in the tech tree. Positioned the rovers so they could easily navigate to three biomes each resulting in roughly 250 Science points for each rover. I am happy! :D

16 hours ago, ValleyTwo said:

Still working on the space tugs, different versions.  Even one with a manned command module and stuffed Jeb into it.  Still over-corrected to everything - even on launch it over-reacts.  Now, I would love to blame MechJeb2 but can't.  I used HyperEdit to place one of the designs into orbit and told its SAS to do this and that.  Same results.  Yet, I have tried out a half-dozen designs and they all have the same problem.  Also, I know MechJeb2 was able to place the cores into space (mostly) so I am starting to feel that my ship designs are just unbalanced.  Could it be the nuclear engines?  They do weigh a lot and having two on the sides could be causing issues when the main body in the middle may be lighter.  And they are the only thing that is in each design - two side mounted nuclear engines.

I know Ion Engines will not work for tugs - unless I want to wait till the next ice age - so can anybody suggest a different engine useful for orbital work?  I wonder if I place lighter engines on it, will it be able to steer properly.  I know some people prefer different engines because the nuclear do take a long time AND overheat so quickly.

Try the poodle engine I use it for my Gama space craft. It is powerful and efficient you may want to use rcs when you get close to your target. Use I.j.k.L to pilot the tug to a steady speed of 0.4-0.5 M.P.S to dock.

20 hours ago, ValleyTwo said:

Even one with a manned command module and stuffed Jeb into it.  Still over-corrected to everything - even on launch it over-reacts.

This happens quite often if there's too much flex between where the torque/gimbal power is applied and the controlling part.

1 minute ago, Val said:

This happens quite often if there's too much flex between where the torque/gimbal power is applied and the controlling part.

Nice video.  But it isn't the launch that is a problem.  Anyway, somebody looked over my design and re-designed it.  

Just now, ValleyTwo said:

Nice video.  But it isn't the launch that is a problem.  Anyway, somebody looked over my design and re-designed it.  

Overcompensation can happen anywhere, when there's too much flex between the control part and the torquing parts (RCS, Reaction wheels, gimbals, control surfaces). Launch is just where it is most often encountered.

Been working on a collection of low-action, low altitude planes. They really serve no purpose other than some relaxing flights inbetween all these high-speed spaceplanes and rockets.

Built an air trike today. It's really not the plane you use for stunts, but it's fun to fly around, and does fly quite well. Accidentally discovered an interesting and quite awesome "IVA" mode, by zooming the camera all the way in.

f17553ddf56c3aa97415ef1ede8100e6.jpg

daba19607e27313e99697e134d67f71f.png

I quite enjoyed the whole IVA thing, and even managed to land it that way!

Edited by DoesDoodles

On 5/24/2016 at 11:41 AM, PTGFlyer said:

I also learned that Rapiers and Swivels have almost equal efficiency, and I already have enough power, so I'll put in a Terrier instead.

That raises an interesting notion about the efficiency of RAPIERS as reusable booster engines... hmm...

On 5/25/2016 at 9:46 AM, ValleyTwo said:

Well, I was on a roll, with so many ideas, I had to put the third core into space.

ACjM7BR.png

I will place it on the far side of the station, away from the hab, because it is full of atomic reactors.  I know that does nothing to the crew but I like to role play.  Feel sorry for the poor sap who had to check the lab.  I suck at EVA also. ^_^

For roleplay purposes, I always thought it would be neat to put a big wide fairing between the nuclear reactors and the habitat sections, pretending it was a giant radiation shield to protect the crew.  

Well, progressing in my new career mode by landing a Kerbal on Minmus and the Mun, and then sent a three crew mission to Minmus and a rover, but I forgot to add RCS to the rover, so it didn't have any RCS on Minmus. Still a fun mission, next, three kerbal crew to the Mun, and a rover!

Got my first kOS script up to a working state. It'll eventually be a one-size-fits-all ascent profile script (I haven't started working on TWR management during atmospheric ascent yet, so the script only works well with rockets with sea level TWR of 2+/- 0.2):

Edited by blorgon

The high-falootin' administrative types at good ole KSC got impatient.  They have recently been all excited from recent technological advances, namely the lazy scientists finally figuring out how to derive fuel from moon-rock, and were itching to try mining and converting ore.  So, they commissioned the engineers to build a ship that would go to Minmus, land, drill, convert, and return with a boatload of fuel.  The prudent thing would have been to wait until some 3rd party submitted a contract for such an operation to offset the costs, but no, they went ahead and did it anyways, spending over $365,000 and taking a big bite out of the budget.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%207.40.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%207.44.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%207.49.1

This mission included a scanner probe...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%208.01.3

… and two autonomous robots to sniff out the highest concentrations of ore on the ground: 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%208.24.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%208.32.0

Much amusement was experienced manoeuvring the two rovers around, the controllers at KSC learning all about drifting and slaloming down the various slopes on the surface.  Finally the second robot settled on a decent spot that the main ship could land at, ore concentration there is 2.77%, the highest found after a couple hours of prospecting.  The factory ship landed nearby and begun operations.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%2011.34.

After several days, a 3rd party company was intrigued enough to offer a contract to return 950 units of ore back to Kerbin's surface.  This propitious offering was gratefully accepted, and shall be undertaken within a few weeks.  Mission control will first oversee the return of the vessel to low Kerbin orbit so that it can refuel two or three ships waiting for the best transfer window to Eve, about 40 days away.

Edited by justidutch

With the mobile drill delivered it was time for the habitat testing.

F3DD68EEBB929EBF5AE3E8E648077B294B4BBDB3

F25A2B2BA8FCBE3704D8B1F1DE1AA904A6D2F466

9883F5684010A1B1B3A37A0819B869245D611638

After several 'splosions and many, many deaths, some modifications were needed for the cargo plane.

It actually worked.407378110B4536E6CE455B0F3C4E4301DE30B601

ABBBF2B2F5667400A38E35822F63B433BB8F13D5

Landed the plane "safely" a couple miles and a couple engines shorter than I started with.

E94BDDCD173AB60922778BCA5BD02DB869593220

2B6F005732BEE54E54A9D44856E756846A9B7C7B

Side note. As long as I have been playing it never occured to me that KSP 2 was in a huge K depression.

AA87828717D35A4365E3730CCBAB48083D44FE6C

6692D6E4DF8F6F55EB9C312EE539A05CC15E1D6E

I like tacos.

01EFC31AF623FD4A577CA7C85B8E1FFE3AAA9425

With my finding of that Mun Arch, I decided some more exploration was in order. This was a good opportunity to practice my precise landing skills! (Full disclosure: I was lazy and Hyperedited my rover with skycrane to Mun orbit. :P

TgreCOh.png

All the assorted landing craft and the tanker arrived at Jool and I found out that juggling 4 ships in flight around Jool was .. Exciting. But every thing is there and now I need to scrounge up fuel from all the the landing craft and put it in the tanker to transfer the fuel to the the miner so it can land and make more fuel. Not in the plan but this is still doable. 

(And had a visit from the decaying orbit bug that kept pushing the lander for Tylo into Jool but reloading the game cured it. For now)

Mean while the expedition crew arrived at Val.

screenshot398_zps1jfh5bhg.png