[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Here are some planned changed:

1. Tank size changes

Replace HH-77 orange tank with a 5m tank (see above)

Trim HH-78ab from 1.75m to 1.5m tall (same diameter)

Trim FL-R1000 (the orange 3m tank) from 3.5m tall to 2.5m tall

This makes the tanks scale directly (doubling length, because well.. it makes more sense.)

2. Depreciating one part: The HH-78 Long alternate, since it was only a different skin.

3. Texturing all tanks in a Saturn-style

4. Creating an entire alternate texture pack for all tanks (including the orange ones) --like the Ares series in the wiki image from before

Thus you can mix and match styles to your heart\'s content, and part bloat is reduced by a few parts.

It might invalidate some Craft files if you used the HH78 alt tank, but if you load it and swap to the regular one before updating it should be fine. You might need to re-snap some tanks after they get shortened too, but that is no big deal.

Getting some work done on the saturn-based textures now, and I think Omnivore is gonna edit the tank meshes for me.

I really am only hacking textures though, so if an actual artist wants to tackle these, feel free.

Here are some planned changed:

1. Tank size changes

Replace HH-77 orange tank with a 5m tank (see above)

Trim HH-78ab from 1.75m to 1.5m tall (same diameter)

Trim FL-R1000 (the orange 3m tank) from 3.5m tall to 2.5m tall

This makes the tanks scale directly (doubling length, because well.. it makes more sense.)

2. Depreciating one part: The HH-78 Long alternate, since it was only a different skin.

3. Texturing all tanks in a Saturn-style

4. Creating an entire alternate texture pack for all tanks (including the orange ones) --like the Ares series in the wiki image from before

Thus you can mix and match styles to your heart\'s content, and part bloat is reduced by a few parts.

It might invalidate some Craft files if you used the HH78 alt tank, but if you load it and swap to the regular one before updating it should be fine. You might need to re-snap some tanks after they get shortened too, but that is no big deal.

Getting some work done on the saturn-based textures now, and I think Omnivore is gonna edit the tank meshes for me.

I really am only hacking textures though, so if an actual artist wants to tackle these, feel free.

You might want to scale up some of the 3m adapters (the ones with the multiple 1m mounts) for the 5 meter tanks as well.

Thanks to the great and powerful Omnivore, we have our first new part, a double length (5meter) 1m tank, the S100L.

Old tank on top of new tank

2kZo5.jpg

Also fiddling with the textures today. Here is a shot of all of the current tanks and their skins. Its a bit of a mess. But each one of them has a fan out there, so I am not sure which direction to go.

NGUgP.jpg

I am thinking - make a B&W Saturn-style pattern, and then perhaps release a separate orange-centric texture pack that you could overwrite the other one with. Thoughts?

Here\'s the origin of most of these textures, for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saturn_V-Shuttle-Ares_I-Ares_V-Ares_IV_comparison.jpg

maybe if you 1-2 meter tanks in saturn V and the 3-meter tanks in orange cause the big tank reminds me of the space-shuttle tank with no cone.

(and despite popular belief, you can make that tank feed from it to the main craft from a side mount like this:http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=4232.0)

My suggestions.

Make the SAS-2 vernier pod th? true maneuvering liquid fuel engine with thrust vectoring. Add thrust vectoring to the Omnipotent Bertha - as it was with its real prototype, which actually consisted of many independent engines, and the deviation of the thrust vector was achieved by the difference in thrusts of opposite engines. Interchange characteristics of the Twin Bertha and the Large Bertha - just because the Twin Bertha looks more powerful. Remove thrust vectoring from the RMA-3 - it only interferes with the orbital maneuvering. Make the longer versions of the TK-421 decoupler, so they can cover engines above them.

the HH78 is a SIDR part, all of the 1.75m parts are. There are adapters for going between 1.75 and 2 as well.

The shrouds need a pass on their attachment nodes, some are too shallow, some too deep. Some intersect collision meshes with certain parts, making the game explode.

Its going to be a big job.. haven\'t started yet. If anyone just loves attachment nodes... go for it :P

I am almost done with the Saturn skin. We also have a new Yawmaster, broken up into several parts - submitted by Straight Chillen.

More later.

Okay I think I have the Saturn-ish textures done, for now anyway.

X6Esg.jpg

So I decided against shorting the other 2 tanks, so the only major tank change is the double-length 1m tank.

I am removing 2 tanks for the next version, because they\'re duplicates. The small orange 1m tank and the 'Alt' 1.75m long tank are gone (but the 'normal' long tank, which was orange, is B&W now) - so if you used those in a saved ship you might want to load them up and swap tanks before upgrading next. In the end, its less clutter and load times, so its important.

I also darkened some textures on the big 3M engine in the screenie there, it always seemed a little washed out.

I do plan on making the orange 'Ares style' skin pack after I get this version ready and released.

Okay, getting close to an update here, probably some time tomorrow. Just waiting on some model tweaks (for some new stuff).

Changes so far:

1. Upon reflection, I reworked the HH-77 1meter tank again with a new texture, so its not being removed.

1a. Still removing the 2nd 1.75m 'long tank' - update your ships to use the currently orange one before upgrading!

2. Decided to just use new long tank as the S100. If you were using the old, shorter S100 from Wobbly, your rocket will still load, it will just have a longer tank and possibly require you to re-attach stuff properly (since the nodes moved)

3. New Saturn-ish textures for all tanks.

4. Tweaked 3m engine texture

5. Added new Yawmaster CSM parts; RCS Tank | ASAS Module | CSM Fuel Tank -- the RCS thrusters are also trimmed off the model and added as a heavy RCS thruster part (Thanks to Straight Chillen!)

6. Adjusted which engines are gimballed (to add some variety)

Gimballed:

SPS-10 Orbital maneuvering engine

GG-M4 1m Quad engine

K2-X 1m engine

Twin Light Bertha

Medium Bertha

Omni Bertha

Not Gimballed:

RMA-3 lander engine

M-50 1m heavy lifter engine

NERVA

Large Bertha

4X-800 3m engine

Pending/Underway:

NEW 1.75m and 3m RCS tanks

New 'Orange' Ares-style textures

Landing leg (maybe)

Todo:

Fixing pass on shrouds and decouplers

Matching textures on Shrouds

Other stuff I am forgetting.

So I got a little sidetracked today learning some stuff in Blender, so no release today.

I do have the 2 RCS tanks mostly done, short of some texture tweaking, and hopefully once I clean up the yawmaster parts a little, the new version will be ready.

Bonus: as something to experiment on, I actually made a longer 2m tank mesh, so if I can get some UVMap issues resolved I\'ll have that to add too. :)

New version released, with new tank textures and gimbal tweaks. Yawmaster and other stuff didn\'t get finished, having some Blender issues.

Download/changelog on 1st page

Stackable 1.75m booster? My modeling skills are rudimentary, so I don\'t know if I can pull it off yet. I\'ll try, but if someone wants to whip out a model I can do the rest.

Straight Chillen: I actually got C7 to help me smooth them out, I was having issues with them in Blender, but he performed some Wizardry on them and they are perfect now. Almost got the new texture done too:

PNSXe.jpg

Andras: That\'s the right texture, there is just an issue with the shading on it. The 2 new RCS tanks have it too, where the shadows are all wrong.

This is the new skins for the 3 1m tanks - note how the long one is all dark and mysterious

hSE6n.jpg

I\'m working on it. Yawmaster will definitely be in for next version. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.