RCS Thrusters

Press R to turn on RCS, then use WASD, SHIFT, and CTRL. Turn on Docking Mode (bottom left corner) and then press V a few times to turn the camera to CHASE mode. This is probably the easiest way to use RCS thrusters. Make sure you have the RCS thrusters positioned accordingly (as far away from the center of mass and in sets of 4).

I've got a ship with 6 RCS thrusters evenly spaced on the ship's CoM. I tried docking for the first time yesterday, and found I was unable to translate forward or backward, only rotation and sideways. Is the positioning of the thrusters on the middle of the ship responsible for lack of forward or backward translation?

I've got a ship with 6 RCS thrusters evenly spaced on the ship's CoM. I tried docking for the first time yesterday, and found I was unable to translate forward or backward, only rotation and sideways. Is the positioning of the thrusters on the middle of the ship responsible for lack of forward or backward translation?

While it's hard to answer your question without seeing your ship, I suspect you may have the unidirectional thrusters and not the 4-way thrusting ones.

If you put 4 4-way thrusters around your ship right on the center of mass, it can translate in any direction without rolling. You don't need 6, but they shouldn't hurt (other than wasting fuel)

Were you in rotational mode instead of linear mode? Pressing space while in docking mode allows you to switch between RCS rotational and RCS linear.

In normal mode, RCS assists rotation with wads, but you can also use ijklhn for translation. In docking mode, wads + shift + left ctrl is used for translation. In all the docking I do, I find it easier and more convenient to keep the mode normal so I can both rotate and translate.

I suspect you may have the unidirectional thrusters and not the 4-way thrusting ones.

That may be it. I'm using the round, ball-like thrusters, not the ones with the four nozzles. I thought they looked better than the nozzled ones, and assumed they worked the same way, only using one nozzle that can point in any direction instead of four fixed nozzles.

Were you in rotational mode instead of linear mode? Pressing space while in docking mode allows you to switch between RCS rotational and RCS linear.

I think it was linear. I saw the two mode lights, the one on the right was lit up. I didn't know how to switch them. :)

Edited by AbuMaia

That may be it. I'm using the round, ball-like thrusters, not the ones with the four nozzles. I thought they looked better than the nozzled ones, and assumed they worked the same way, only using one nozzle that can point in any direction instead of four fixed nozzles.

That's it. Those thrusters only shoot straight out, so you you'd need one per direction you want to thrust, and several more to be able to rotate (which isn't as big a deal as you can do that with reaction wheels). That means to be able to go all 6 directions you'd need 6.

I just use the 4-way ones myself, toss 8 (or 12 for big ships) on the sucker and call it done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.