List of places and biomes in KSP (planetary geology & geography) - UPDATING FOR v1.0.x.

lajoswinkler

Today I threw another probe on Eve. South pole. It does not register a region, but it's a great place. Lots of weird islands and a cliff.

eve_s_pole_v022.png

I've landed just right of the cliff and rolled down its slopes. Nothing broke. :confused:

Interesting enough, when you do a scan with Gravioli, it mentions slight variances in gravity as you pass over a massive crater. Doesn't matter how high the orbit is. It still counts it as "surface" so it's just flavor text.

The limit for "flying at Eve" is 20 km. The upper atmosphere is now at 96 km, so I guess it has been raised by 6 km. It was 90 km just like it still says in the description.

Eve also has "possible seismic activity". Atmosphere analysis gives you a whooping 1600 points at 90% transfer with a simple rod antenna.

I've also sent a double lander to Duna system. One went to Duna, another is still orbiting Ike which near orbit is at ~50 km. I'll check it in detail tommorow.

When entering Duna's atmosphere, the sensor array computing nose cone doesn't let you do anything in upper atmosphere. It starts working when you reach the flight altitude. I haven't been able to detect upper atmosphere at all. It might be a bug.

Gravity variations are also mentioned. Flavor text.

Since this some what relates to this. Found out if you do 2 fly-byes and then return the craft to Kerbin. Only one of them will count it seems. The one with the most point gains seems to be it. Need someone to help confirm this. Will Hit Mün again to see if I stil get points for doing a fly-bye. Also noticed that the Kerbin Orbit ones dont count either and I still had points left for that. Will double check.

When entering Duna's atmosphere, the sensor array computing nose cone doesn't let you do anything in upper atmosphere. It starts working when you reach the flight altitude.

Confirmed. The sensor aray doesn't let you do anything initially. However,

I haven't been able to detect upper atmosphere at all. It might be a bug.

Jeb briefly detected the upper atmosphere of Duna during his descent at ~13.5 km altitude. Data was successfully recorded. Now Jeb is going to sit tight on the surface for about 60 days waiting for the return transfer window to open. He has orders to look again for an upper atmosphere on the way back up.

EDIT: Bill just plunged down to 11 kms altitude in Duna's atmosphere doing an aerobrake on the way to Ike. The nose cone did not activate at all. It seems like you have to be travelling subsonic or give it time to activate or something.

Edited by Kaa253

Confirmed. The sensor aray doesn't let you do anything initially. However,

Jeb briefly detected the upper atmosphere of Duna during his descent at ~13.5 km altitude. Data was successfully recorded. Now Jeb is going to sit tight on the surface for about 60 days waiting for the return transfer window to open. He has orders to look again for an upper atmosphere on the way back up.

EDIT: Bill just plunged down to 11 kms altitude in Duna's atmosphere doing an aerobrake on the way to Ike. The nose cone did not activate at all. It seems like you have to be travelling subsonic or give it time to activate or something.

The nosecone is an atmospheric sensor and you can only activate it in atmosphere: You have both upper atmosphere and flying who both can be sampled during aerobrake. landed is another sample zone, not sure if flying in low attitude is another on duna.

The nosecone is an atmospheric sensor and you can only activate it in atmosphere: You have both upper atmosphere and flying who both can be sampled during aerobrake. landed is another sample zone, not sure if flying in low attitude is another on duna.

Also, if landed, you can only activate the atmospheric sensor on dry land ... not when it is (partially) submerged

-space near Eve (96 km - 390-400 km)

-space high over Eve (390-400 km - SOI limit)

-space near Moho (0 km - ~50 km)

-space high over Moho(~50 km - SOI limit)

The space over Eve seems to extend to an even lower altitude than expected ...

I made a flyby with a manned capsule to Eve, assuming that, with a close flyby (85km altitude) I could get into the upper atmosphere in order to perform experiments (Goo, Science jr., instruments), as well as do an EVA while within the atmosphere.

It turned out however that, even at 85 km, my spaceship was considered to be "in space near Eve" and not in Eves upper atmosphere.

Maybe you need a certain minimum pressure before your ship is considered to be within the atmosphere of a planet

Has anyone actually landed on Tundra? All of the light green locations I've checked have been Grasslands, even the landmass underneath the ice.

I have. It was just south of the edge of the north polar cap. Direction was almost north of KSC.

The space over Eve seems to extend to an even lower altitude than expected ...

I made a flyby with a manned capsule to Eve, assuming that, with a close flyby (85km altitude) I could get into the upper atmosphere in order to perform experiments (Goo, Science jr., instruments), as well as do an EVA while within the atmosphere.

It turned out however that, even at 85 km, my spaceship was considered to be "in space near Eve" and not in Eves upper atmosphere.

Maybe you need a certain minimum pressure before your ship is considered to be within the atmosphere of a planet

This is weird. It looks like a bug.

I'd like to thank to all people who are dumping their probes, taking measurements and reporting here. It's a lot of work for just one person, so when several people are doing this, errors can be corrected at a faster rate and unknown data is quickly provided. :)

Edited by lajoswinkler

... Someone MUST do science on the Moholes!!!!!!

I will start planning a mission when I get home from school, even though I don't have many parts and I only have the medium docking ports, but I have pretty much everything I need.

Someone should also do a massive grand tour to do TONS of science

Moho: GET AWAY!!!!

Eve: *ships starts aerobraking* BUUUUUURRRRRRRNNNNNNN YOU METAL CAN!!!!!!!

Gilly: Eve do you want me to call the doctor?

Kerbin: OW THAT HURTS!!! STOP BLASTING OFF MY SURFACE!!!

Mun: They scanned me!! Those pervs!!

Minmus: ...

Duna: Ike I found some lunch for you!

Ike: *Ike encounter* NOM NOM NOM!

Dres: I'm so lonely :(

Pol: can I poke you?

Bop: GET OFF ME!!

Tylo: *grumble*

Vall: :|

Laythe: NO!! YOU WILL NOT COLONIZE ME!!!!! *volcanos erupt*

Jool: Laythe, calm down -_-

Eeloo: so cold... Why can't I go into that light? :(

Jeb: *returns home* Well that was interesting...

Edited by Deadpangod3

Well guys, I delved into the KSP API and managed to write a little partmodule which extracts all available biome maps. So far it's only Kerbin and the Mun. I might take another look at it tomorrow and read out the color->description data. But here's what I got so far:

EDIT: Had some extra time and added the info to the pics:

GlNczBN.png

Ju5Mhhv.png

Enjoy :wink:

Edited by certissian
New Data

I've landed a probe on Moho. Its near orbit starts at exactly 80 km, not 50.

I'm going to take a pause with this fast probe exploration because I'd like to start sending Kerbals to Mün, so if anyone is going to Dres and beyond, please take notes.

I can confirm the space near Eve and space high above Eve boundary is 400 km should have info about Gilly, Vall, Bop and Pol soon.

Edit: Eve upper atmosphere limit seems to be about 60 km and flying is 20-21 km.

Edited by boomerdog2000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.