[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

So the latest RO, kind of broke my RO install.

I now have a stock Kerbin system with RO configs.... nothing is right.. like the planet scales are all stock with all the stock planets.

So the latest RO, kind of broke my RO install.

I now have a stock Kerbin system with RO configs.... nothing is right.. like the planet scales are all stock with all the stock planets.

Well its RSS that does all that, not RO. I'd double check (or re-install) RSS.

Did you by chance install another mod that uses the RSS plugin to do its own thing, like the better atmospheres mod? Those come with their own solar system configs which would/could overwrite RSS's

Did you by chance install another mod that uses the RSS plugin to do its own thing, like the better atmospheres mod? Those come with their own solar system configs which would/could overwrite RSS's

Nope, nothing else has changed. Downloaded the latest version of RO from the github page, installed it, and it did this.

I do not want to remove the mods completely.

I just want parts in the editor be their native size so they fit nice to all other parts and their interiors look native.

Things like engines may be the real size but Kerbals are still always Kerbal in size so sitting them in human size crew capsules does not look nice to me. That is my personal opinion but all these mods are to give us the flavor of more complex rocket science and make things more challenging... We are still running the Kerbal space program... To replicate all sorts historical and modern real missions and crafts there are things like Orbiter... Again that is only my personal opinion.

Can I just erase the lines that rescale of the stock parts and their attachment nodes in the Realism Overhaul config files? I suppose the module manager just will not touch anything then?

The mod removes all the reaction wheels from the pods. Is there a way of getting to the realistic style of operation of the reaction control system? Like a short powerful punch to start the rotation and then another one to stop it and turning one axis at a time? Every single thing that tries to control my attitude that I have seen in the game is making long and gentle inputs like those required for the reaction wheels and that as you may guess wastes lots and lots of fuel...

Also are there any mod parts like inline stackable blocks of thrusters or something like that? The big hungry external thrusters are good for big things like service modules they look just ridiculous on a quite small crew capsule with a complex shape. Often there is just no place to put enough of them for fast reliable control in all three directions. Or they eat so much that the fuel tank is bigger than the pod itself. And they get ripped of quite often during atmospheric entry. Squad crew pods have their thruster nozzles visible on the texture. Are there any config files or something of that sort to turn them into actual working thrusters? I would take time write them myself if I knew how...

What is wrong with the flotation of the parts? When a part or a craft of a few parts hit water without Realism Overhaul they just float in the water much like expected. When they hit water with the mod installed they start jumping and flipping over and it seems that it will continue for a few days with physics warp applied.

Thank you!

Nope, nothing else has changed. Downloaded the latest version of RO from the github page, installed it, and it did this.

Well that might have happened, but RO didn't touch it. Do a fresh install.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I get rid of the rtfs engines? I'm using the stockalike RF pack

Delete the RtfS folder.

I do not want to remove the mods completely.

I just want parts in the editor be their native size so they fit nice to all other parts and their interiors look native.

Things like engines may be the real size but Kerbals are still always Kerbal in size so sitting them in human size crew capsules does not look nice to me. That is my personal opinion but all these mods are to give us the flavor of more complex rocket science and make things more challenging... We are still running the Kerbal space program... To replicate all sorts historical and modern real missions and crafts there are things like Orbiter... Again that is only my personal opinion.

Can I just erase the lines that rescale of the stock parts and their attachment nodes in the Realism Overhaul config files? I suppose the module manager just will not touch anything then?

The mod removes all the reaction wheels from the pods. Is there a way of getting to the realistic style of operation of the reaction control system? Like a short powerful punch to start the rotation and then another one to stop it and turning one axis at a time? Every single thing that tries to control my attitude that I have seen in the game is making long and gentle inputs like those required for the reaction wheels and that as you may guess wastes lots and lots of fuel...

Also are there any mod parts like inline stackable blocks of thrusters or something like that? The big hungry external thrusters are good for big things like service modules they look just ridiculous on a quite small crew capsule with a complex shape. Often there is just no place to put enough of them for fast reliable control in all three directions. Or they eat so much that the fuel tank is bigger than the pod itself. And they get ripped of quite often during atmospheric entry. Squad crew pods have their thruster nozzles visible on the texture. Are there any config files or something of that sort to turn them into actual working thrusters? I would take time write them myself if I knew how...

What is wrong with the flotation of the parts? When a part or a craft of a few parts hit water without Realism Overhaul they just float in the water much like expected. When they hit water with the mod installed they start jumping and flipping over and it seems that it will continue for a few days with physics warp applied.

Thank you!

That's not the idea of RO or RSS, so I'm going to leave you to be on your own. If someone else wants to help, then by all means, have a ball. All because the little people are too little.

Fly manual, or write a new autopilot. Try RLA micro RCS pods. No because transforms aren't included with the model, what you see is paint, that is all.

Could be a CG thing.

Kitspace: if you want your reentries to be about 3x harder than they should be, then yes, you can just comment out the rescaleFactor and node_* lines in the the RO part configs (as long as MODEL nodes aren't used, rescaleFactor is all that controls scaling). If MODEL nodes are used, then it gets...complicated.

I fully intend to replace Kerbals with human astronauts, btw.

That said, you're welcome to try with realistic masses but smaller parts; just understand that aerodynamics will get *weird* if you suddenly have 1/3 the ballistic coefficient you used to.

As for RCS: those "big blocks" are actually as powerful as the Apollo Service Module RCS, which was used on a 30ton (45 ton with LM attached) spacecraft. So even them firing full blast is very slow. KSP has trained you to think of dozens to a hundred degrees per second turnrate as normal; it's really, really not.

Until we had ModuleRCSFX, due to bugs in Squad's code, stack-mounted RCS was broken. Now that we do have ModuleRCSFX, we can finally make stack-mounted and part-of-the-pod RCS...

There's nothing wrong with flotation in RO; that appears to be a float precision issue regarding collision detection. If you actually calculate what the precision of a float is at 6,371,000, it's around one (i.e. can't be more precise than a meter). That seems to be why things sink into (or float above) the ground, and why things bounce on the water.

tl;dr RSS issue, not RO issue.

RedAV8R: actually, sounds like along with !RftS we also need !Stockalikes or whatever....

dlrk: From the file:

FoodConsumptionRate = 3.0
WaterConsumptionRate = 1.7
OxygenConsumptionRate = 550
ElectricityConsumptionRate = 4320
BaseElectricityConsumptionRate = 17280
EvaElectricityConsumptionRate = 28800
CO2ProductionRate = 506
WasteProductionRate = 2.0393
WasteWaterProductionRate = 2.0
DefaultResourceAmount = 86400
EvaDefaultResourceAmount = 43200
MaxTimeWithoutFood = 2592000
MaxTimeWithoutWater = 259200
MaxTimeWithoutOxygen = 180
MaxTimeWithoutElectricity = 259200

This is TAC, so that's units per day. Food is 0.8kg/L, O2 and CO2 are at STP per liter, and wastes are around 1.01kg/l (you can find the exact numbers in RealFuels).

Edited by NathanKell

Thanks, and what are the new consumption rates for TAC?

TAC resources are now based on a 1L = 1Unit system, like all other items (per RealFuels).

That said, food is 3L, water is 1.7L, and O2 is 550L. All per day.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info.

Also, about !rfts/stockalikes, should I replace all the !rfts with !stockalike if I'm using stockalike and not rfts?

You can...or wait about 30min and I'll have a new small point release that does so.

Thanks for the info!

By the way, would you guys mind if at some point in the unspecified future, I forked RO to create a 'realistic but still Kerbally' version?

Thanks for the info!

By the way, would you guys mind if at some point in the unspecified future, I forked RO to create a 'realistic but still Kerbally' version?

That's fine with me.

RedAV8R: actually, sounds like along with !RftS we also need !Stockalikes or whatever....

Done! Appears it's under !RealFuels_StockEngines, at least that's what they named their :FOR[tag] with, works for me.

Is that up now?

It is in GitHub, now present is what 6.0 will look like, including TweakScale support for numerous items, depreciating many and reducing part count substantially.

With NathanKell and I (RedAV8R) officially combining forces this thread and mine will be closed and move to a new one.

New RO Thread here!

Mods, please also close this thread. If one could please delete and or move any/all posts after this one to the thread above, thank you!