[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

As for your raster prop monitor, I'll look into that too when I've figured it all out.

Tho, as nice as those instruments look, the Orb is not intended to be a primary cockpit, and is supposed to only feature a bare essential of instruments. I'd love to include that camera monitor tho, to replace my mock-up monitor.

Nice, I hope I'll be able to use at least the rasterprop camera monitor soon! :)

The transparency issue is probably caused because gratings are rendered before walls. Walls are then not rendered at the same pixels. This is how 3D graphics works. You can only fix this by making gratings texture to have only fully-transparent and fully-opaque pixels.

I think we need some bigger rotating ring. Like 2x size of this from this pack!

And not inflatable, with curved parts, but more like this shape (but not this enormous size from movie)

GPN-2003-00093.jpg

But even if its not size of from movie, it still probably had to be deliverd to orbit in parts and assembled there.

Edited by kiwiak

I think we need some bigger rotating ring. Like 2x size of this from this pack!

And not inflatable, with curved parts, but more like this shape (but not this enormous size from movie)

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/GPN-2003-00093.jpg

But even if its not size of from movie, it still probably had to be deliverd to orbit in parts and assembled there.

Someone made that part already. I think... Devo? Check spaceport. I'll try to find it later if you want.

No, it isn't much. For reference, the internal model for the hitchhiker storage container is 21.5mb alone.

All my parts have interior models that are more complex than that, and still they are only 17mb together.

I do keep these things in mind and constantly try to find ways to minimize texture sizes, but I'm not a sorcerer.

these parts are really good! But 18.9 MB, isn't that much for 3 parts? Maybe someone can make a low-res release?

If you want really big, check out KOSMOS. 350MB on disk with a load of parts. The thing cracks out my computer. With full-sized textures I think it runs at least 1GB of RAM by itself! :0.0:

Average part "size" is around 5MB per part for tga or mbm textures at 1024x1024. This mod even has three IVAs which all are extra weight on memory, so to be only 18.9MB is actually pretty darn good. I've seen individual IVAs weigh in at 25MB, I think.

If the size still worries you, check out the Active Memory Reduction Mod. Saves me about 1GB of memory running a ton of mods (including B9, KW, NovaPunch, Infernal Robotics, FAR, and KAS).

Great mod! Love it..

The only thing.. The toroidal radius seems kinda short to provide a noticeable artificial gravity.

That's correct, but on the other hand it rotates rather fast (10rpm) the proposed nautilus x centrifuge (that the guy I'm quoting below so coincidentally linked) is apparently estimated to produce 0.5g at 10rpm and a radius of 9m. My centrifuge is about 7.5m in radius so theres no big difference. Also most things in Kerbal is smaller and slightly exeggerated than RL, like the rocket fuels are about 5 times more dense than real fuels, and don't get me started about planet densities. For those longing for a bigger centrifuge, I will make one like I statted on the first post. It will be HUUUGE, possibly accomodating 16 Kerbals or more. But I first want to sort out how to make a centrifuge work properly and bug-free.

I just saw that the second image on this wiki page is extremely similar to the part in this mod ;) Cool!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity

Or here is the wiki page of the full Nautilus-X project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus-X

Yupp. This was my reference. (Possibly moddled it a bit too close to the original... it feels like stealing nasa designs lol)

Could there be a version of the inflatable habitat that doesn't reduce to 1.25m on both sides? A 2.5m docking node on (at least) on side would make it more useful for interplanetary ships.

I get asked this a lot. I might agree to making the flat cap 2.5m. Eventually. hmm

I get asked this a lot. I might agree to making the flat cap 2.5m. Eventually. hmm

Or, what would be even better, is to leave this small as it is now, and make a larger version (with lower RPM, higher radius) matching the 2.5m parts :)

What's the point? Use an adapter.

The point is something that looks nice. Have you tried what you're suggesting? I have and it's not as nice.

Or, what would be even better, is to leave this small as it is now, and make a larger version (with lower RPM, higher radius) matching the 2.5m parts :)

I think he was talking about the TransHab / Bigelow styled hab, not the ring.

Porkjet, have you thought about separating the core section and the inflatable section into different models? That would let you make different sized habs using the same models and textures. In the cfg you'd then use Two MODEL nodes, each scaled as needed.

The point is something that looks nice. Have you tried what you're suggesting? I have and it's not as nice.

Yes. It looks fine to me. There are many 1.25 to 2.5 adapters especially if you use mods. I'd prefer not to be swamped by multiple parts that vary only minutely. After all, that's what the adapters are for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.