[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

Yep. I do it all the time for big fuel tankers and huge ships - makes them easier to launch (or possible at all, in some cases). Inflatable stuff can keep a lower profile, which is better for ascent (i use FAR), as large stuff can be tricky.

Since youre taking suggestions. I second the suggestion of parts with 2.5m connections. Maybe also 3.75m. A Huge centrifuge is also on the top of my list.

Yes, 2.5 meter interface would be nice. parts don't need to be much larger, at least not the inflatable hab. The egg module might make an nice bridge for an interplanetary ship, long distance ships always use 2.5m anyway.

Edited by magnemoe

Hi, after messing around with your parts, I solved the problem/bug about the Centrifuge Animation

I looked at this similar centrifuge I've used in the past and saw how he managed to make it work. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-1-mpss-nautilus/

You need to integrate the mod with vanguard technologies/ (Just tell them to download the plugin or include the dll in your package.

then use these lines on the cfg (replace the old animation lines)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrAnimation
extendAnim = deploy
extendGUI = Inflate Ring
retractGUI = none
energyConsumptionExtend = 20
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrAnimation
extendAnim = rotation
extendGUI = Start Rotation
retractGUI = none
energyConsumptionExtended = 3
}
}

This will make it a "one time use" only habitat, once you use it, it will continue forever. It consumes electricity too while deploying and spinning. The only problem now is that the Model now starts extended.(If you try to extend it will magically switch to retracted position again and extend animation will play) but maybe you can edit it out in the model itself.

EDIT: still messing around, I might try the animation module in the firesplitter plugin, see if that's better

EDIT2: okay tried the firesplitter plugin on both animations. it was better but there's also one problem. the centrifuge keeps on spinning. Starting or Stopping them only seem to change rotate direction.(clock wise or counter), My solution was to use the stock module for the rotation, but that made the centrifuge unstoppable once activated. maybe you could edit the model to fit the plugin better

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = deploy

startEventGUIName = Inflate
endEventGUIName = Deflate
startDeployed = False

customAnimationSpeed = 1.0
availableInEVA = False
availableInVessel = True
EVArange = 5
layer = 1
useActionEditorPopup = True
moduleID = 1
playAnimationOnEditorSpawn = False
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = rotation
startEventGUIName = Rotate
endEventGUIName = Stop
}

Edited by lyndonguitar

Thanks for your efforts lyndonguitar! I've experimented with the vanguard plugin before, but I was dissapointed that it made it "one time use" only. Havn't looked at the Firespitter one tho. I was actually hoping I could make it work with the Infernal Robotics plugin at some point. This would make it actually physically rotate and perhaps enable me to add windows like it was suggested on the previous page. (right now the interior isnt actually spinning, which can sometimes be seen on the glitchy alpha transparent grid on the ceiling) But I first want to make that flat habitat with the integrated docking port functionality that took me so long to get working.

So, about the size suggestions, this next hab will be 2.5m and toroidal, and I'll probably change the bottom end of the big inflato to 2.5m too (this thing needs a complete art-pass anyway)

S7lgNxl.jpg

It's really great work, Porkjet. I like the way it seamlessly fit with ships built with standard KSP parts. If You think about new parts - maybe 2.5 to 1.25 connector with windows, cool science lab with IVA (manned equivalent of SC-9001 Science Jr to make some science on the surface of Jool moons) or small thingy intended as main part of single seat escape pod (just add engine, parachute and go..)

Just wanted to add my "This is an awesome pack!" to the pile. The IVAs make these parts, IMO. "Walking" around the centrifuge is spot on.

And I wouldn't mind a larger (in diameter, anyway) centrifuge. Would work well for interplanetary ships.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.