Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

14 minutes ago, garwel said:

Sorry. Try this one.

That one worked. But, it also worked. As it, not having an problem with the KCT build window in the VAB. What resolution are you running KSP in? I'm running at 1920x1080. If you're running something different I'll change mine to try and recreate your setup more closely.

I'm starting to think it might be working, but it off your visible screen. I was able so somewhat simulate this by dragging the windows down to the bottom of the screen and it then gave the appearance of nothing happening with I pressed the KCT button. If that's the case, maybe a safeguard to prevent moving a window off the screen could be in order.

Good news, you're not crazy :) Better news, you've found a problem that likely would have been missed.

Problem: When using lower screen resolutions (confirmed problem in 1366x768) the build window in the VAB and SPH appears outside of the visible screen area. This results in the window not seeming to appear to the user. However, due to the functions working there is no error showing in the log.

I'm going to assume I'm failing the 10% rule (ie. one must be at least 10% smarter than the object one is attempting to manipulate) as I've been unable to get the dev version to work at all. Serious error bit and UI elements semi-functional (toolbar icon shows up and toggled main VAB, etc UI but sub-elements are null.

After a little frustration I figured  was doing it wrong and wiped the KCT folder and the /gamedata/magicore.dll, grabbed the starter kit from a page or two back that Jeffry posted. I decompressed that into my gamedata folder, no joy.  Then shuffled every last mod but KCT, module manager, and some world flags off to a temp folder just in case... no change in symptoms.

TL;DR on the output log, first errors show up as:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KerbalConstructionTime': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Followed by multiple pages of essentially the same thing as:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel' from assembly 'KerbalConstructionTime, Version=1.3.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Doubt it would be worth it to upload the whole thing to dropbox since I didn't see anything else freaking out.  I.e. All Error and Exception tags belong to KCT.

I'm assuming I'm still messing something up here, since that read to me like it's trying to import data from a non-existent file... But I'm just an old network engineer/infosec guy, not a dev so I could be wrong there.

Other details: 
Win10
KSP 64-bit
Prior to isolation I had 29 mods, probably about 1500 patches worth :wink:  No contract configurator yet though.  Been lazy, pulled that to my "need to update" folder and haven't bothered yet.

Any ideas what sort of ID-10-T or PEBKAC error I've wandered into?

It looks like somehow you've gotten an older version of the KCT DLL file in the mix. The error is showing version number 1.3.4.0 while the current dev build is 1.3.4.1 that I included in the starter kit. the filename ends in 1.2_1 for the correct DDL

59 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

It looks like somehow you've gotten an older version of the KCT DLL file in the mix. The error is showing version number 1.3.4.0 while the current dev build is 1.3.4.1 that I included in the starter kit. the filename ends in 1.2_1 for the correct DDL

Ugh.  So yeah, going to chalk this up to HTTP 500: Insufficient Coffee.

Went back and read the last few pages again and made a connection I'd missed.  Fired up KSP to confirm and... yup.  Get the error on initial new-game load, but quitting and resuming makes that go away and then everything works.  *hangs-head in shame*  I think I might have to turn in my IT guy card for that one.

My bad.  Well, hopefully if that hasn't been narrowed down this helps.

I'm guessing it's looking for save-specific data that doesn't exist yet, since that data gets written on save/exit, not creation?

Edited by storm6436

:) We've all been there. My first testing of the 1.2 builds I didn't install the dang thing correctly missing the MagiCore.dll :P 

Try anything. We are looking for anything that breaks. Since different people try different things based on their own style, the most that test the better the possibility of finding the problems for Magico to do his magic with.

6 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Good news, you're not crazy :) Better news, you've found a problem that likely would have been missed.

Problem: When using lower screen resolutions (confirmed problem in 1366x768) the build window in the VAB and SPH appears outside of the visible screen area. This results in the window not seeming to appear to the user. However, due to the functions working there is no error showing in the log.

Problem with this is, I still had the problem even running 1920x 1080, and the numbers in the window configuration that was crashing making the window not show up was definately within the bounds of my screen.

Edited by MarcAFK

Curses!  2-3 hours magically vanish and I realize I'm tired because it's 0100... Noticed something odd, and didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages.  Too tired to aggressively narrow it down tonight, but will follow up tomorrow once I'm done with chem and diff-EQ homework, but:

1. Rollback a rocket. 

2. Immediately scrap it. *whistles innocently*

This appears to "crash" the KCT UI,  causing the sub-menus to show up blank.  I had a building upgrade request pending, so I used KAC to warp to completion which cleared the null menu issue. 

I know I've done similar in previous versions and not seen this behavior. 

Edited by storm6436
Derp Removal

Sorry I mistyped, I meant I was running in 1920x1080 and the window wasn't showing up, untill I manually changed the window position in the configuration file, but if you remember the configs before and after were both under 1920x1080. maybe it's just a specific window position that makes it screw up?    

xPos = 773.571411
   yPos = 899.571411

If the save was started in a lower resolution the positions could get goofed. starting in higher res should show up, then changing to lower should make it stop working, then going back to higher res should make it return if my guess is right on what's going on.

Scrap while rolling back confirmed. Scrapping a vessel while it is in rollback causes bad things to happen. Tested under the modded version, have not tested under clean myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nexaj9htxfgg7c/output_log.txt?dl=0

New ksp1.2_2.dll. Drop it in GameData/KerbalConstructionTime/Plugins and DELETE THE OLD ONE :wink: I didn't have time to address everything but am hoping to get a bit more time today (unlikely though). Only thing possibly fixed is that the build list and the editor gui have been clamped to the screen. The build list is "strictly" clamped where none of it is allowed to go off screen (except the BL+ window might, I should really roll that into the main BL). The Editor GUI is "softly" clamped in that half of it is allowed to go off screen but not all of it.

I started trying to work on getting new games to work properly. The error doesn't popup, but things aren't getting loaded correctly and so you still have to reload the save before it will work. Haven't gotten a chance to look at rollback yet.

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

New ksp1.2_2.dll. Drop it in GameData/KerbalConstructionTime/Plugins and DELETE THE OLD ONE :wink: I didn't have time to address everything but am hoping to get a bit more time today (unlikely though). Only thing possibly fixed is that the build list and the editor gui have been clamped to the screen. The build list is "strictly" clamped where none of it is allowed to go off screen (except the BL+ window might, I should really roll that into the main BL). The Editor GUI is "softly" clamped in that half of it is allowed to go off screen but not all of it.

I started trying to work on getting new games to work properly. The error doesn't popup, but things aren't getting loaded correctly and so you still have to reload the save before it will work. Haven't gotten a chance to look at rollback yet.

Wish I knew more about C# to help with the coding.  Unfortunately, my day job was finding security vulnerabilities, not writing new code.  The extent of my debugging experience is all C++ and PHP... and even then that's mostly finding missing ";" and syntax errors :P

Cool, it looks like the editor window issue has been resolved (at least in the initial test). Now going to test it in a modded install and new game.

EDIT: Yep, the problem's fixed.

Edited by garwel

Where a bug or possible bug is found please remember to include the output_log.txt link so debug errors can be found. Sometimes that can point to the cause so the problem can be fixed in the next build or if there is an install error it can be identified.

I'll check out the technode unlock issue with 1.2_2 asap.

EDIT: Unable to duplicate problem with tech tree nodes in either existing save or new save :(

Edited by JeffreyCor

Hi!

i experience a gamebreaking bug using the new (1.2.2) dll 

It appears as if kct cant save upgrades. Whenever i enter the VAB all upgrades are reset (and earned points by unlocking technodes are lost) 

Since i use a ton of mods, i cant tell if this is caused by some sort of incompatibility.

Save folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4w4qlilk0ij77nu/AAA-K3GsXfyMevJPgpd2YQ1ra?dl=0

KSP Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zw25nf9ccv0vpei/KSP.log?dl=0

37 minutes ago, Filigan said:

It appears as if kct cant save upgrades. Whenever i enter the VAB all upgrades are reset (and earned points by unlocking technodes are lost) 

Since i use a ton of mods, i cant tell if this is caused by some sort of incompatibility.

More likely the display isn't updating itself. It's been like this for a long time. If you click on the * next to "Build Time at <x> BP/s" in the GUI it will update itself to your actual build rate.

No, its not this old one.

Start a new game

in the Spacecenter screen: distribute my kct upgrade points

enter VAB

leave VAB

the points are undistributed 

i have jsut played around with this issue and realised, if i distribute them again after the first three steps, the problem seems to fix itself.

BUT, when i start a new save, without restarting KSP before i do so, kct seems to load (or carry over?) some its values from the previous save.

-> i started a new game and had 30 upgradepoints, instead of the usual 16, 26 of them where available for distribution, 4 where spend on for research speed. AND in the tech tab all the research projects from my previous game where present.

and yes, i deleted the old save before i started the new one + the new one had another name 

You missed an important step.
1) start new game
2) Exit to main menu
3) Resume game from 1

There is a known problem with starting a new game that causes this to be required presently otherwise weird things happen including carrying over previous information from another save. For new games always perform all 3 of the steps until the new game bug is fixed.

I haven't really noticed any gamebreaking bugs (other than the new game one). But here are a couple of minor things:

1. I don't really understand how ship edit times are calculated. Sometimes what intuitively seems like a small change takes a lot of time, but other times a large edit can take very little time. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or I simply don't understand how it's supposed to work (probably the latter).

2. It'd be really nice to have build list open by default when you go to the KSC screen. It's annoying to have to open it manually every time.

3. This scroll bar is bugging me, and I can't resize the window to get rid of it:

wZX3NAa.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.