Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

I wasn't meaning that it was KCT that made it, its just that it influences the game to flash fast enough for it.

also, I have found a weird thing, not sure if its a glitch or just they haven't coded it yet, but whenever I research a node, whenever I exit out and back in, it shows that I haven't purchased the node yet, it might only be a graphical glitch or something. I still have the node researching and I get it when its done, but it says that it hasn't been researched yet in the RnD

not gamebreaking because I remember what I have researching, but a bit annoying

Research is by design for the way KSP works as it has not been researched until the amount of time has passed. If you click to research the node again, it will show up and get a text that it is already being researched with the amount of time remaining. The science points are not deducted for doing this.

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I wasn't meaning that it was KCT that made it, its just that it influences the game to flash fast enough for it.

also, I have found a weird thing, not sure if its a glitch or just they haven't coded it yet, but whenever I research a node, whenever I exit out and back in, it shows that I haven't purchased the node yet, it might only be a graphical glitch or something. I still have the node researching and I get it when its done, but it says that it hasn't been researched yet in the RnD

not gamebreaking because I remember what I have researching, but a bit annoying

There was someone who had an issue with the flashing before which is why there is an option to limit the maximum warp that KCT will use. In the end they decided to just warp in the Tracking Station, since you can also warp in that scene and in flight. Unfortunately there are issues with launching from the tracking station and so that had to be disabled, so it's a bit inconvenient to swap back and forth.

The node not showing up is an annoying graphical thing that happened with a KSP update. KCT used to show them when you opened up the R&D window, but that got messed up a while back and I never found a work around that I liked. You can safely unlock the node again and it won't cost anything. I can't leave the node as "purchased" because then you'd get access to the parts, so I manually lock it again, but the way I unlock it no longer updates the R&D UI right away. It seems like I might have to unlock it before the R&D screen opens. I may be able to tie into an event if there's one that fires between the button press and the UI opening, instead of using the event that fires when the UI is opened.

wat will cause kct to do a recalculate of all vessels construction  time in construction list?

found this in out_put.log

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Input is null for field 'initialName' in config node 'MODULE'
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at BaseFieldList.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at PartModule.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ShipConstruct.SaveShip()
   at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel..ctor(.ShipConstruct s, System.String ls, Double bP, System.String flagURL)
   at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Utilities.RecalculateEditorBuildTime(.ShipConstruct ship)
   at KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.EditorRecalculation()

edit:

long story:
after installing the MKS update, the new changes broke my ships.
i recalled a ship from the launchpad and did an edit to fix it.
wen i presed ,save changes, the ship disapeard.
i didnt see it ready or in the construction list.

i edited the construction list to be faster (*30000) and spend the 300K on a new ship.
FF for 30 game minutes then edited the the construction speed back to nurmal.
after lunching the ship i started getting messages that ships are ready and noticed that ships that are sopuse the be ready in 23 days will now be ready in 1-2 hours

how can i fix the time without editing every ship in the list (i have a long list. ~18 ships)?

Edited by danielboro

15 hours ago, danielboro said:

wat will cause kct to do a recalculate of all vessels construction  time in construction list?

A ship being completed causes all of them to recalculate, ironically it's because of the part inventory/part tracker which isn't currently in the mod. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to either roll back to a previous save (KCT makes one when you recover to storage that you could load) or edit all of them in the save file since they're all stuck with the new BP value. You might be able to "edit" them and get them to reset, but you'll probably lose any progress you made on them.

That's an interesting bug with the edited ship that I'm not sure I can actually fix since it's buried within Stock code. It would prevent saving the ship at all. If it was recovered from flight then I'm not all that surprised though, since KSP doesn't natively allow going from a Vessel to a Craft file.

If you revert or have to do this again in the future, instead of speeding up build times or modifying settings just modify the BP value of the ship in the save file while it's being constructed. Just open up the save in a text editor, search for the ship name and look for a line like "BP = 8234723.3723" and change the number to something fairly low. Then open the save and it should be nearly complete. The line in the save might be something different since I don't have a save file to reference right now, but it should be close to that.

Alright, reporting an issue. The following error gets spammed to the log constantly while I'm in the VAB, even when I don't have any parts in use yet:

[EXC 17:35:12.207] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Utilities.ProgressBuildTime ()
	KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.FixedUpdate ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime:FixedUpdate()

My log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xirsr2czjorilt/KSP.log?dl=0

Mod list (excerpt from above log): http://pastebin.com/X2pzbCUJ

Just the slight (barely noticeable) lag of spammed NRE's. Nothing serious. Just thought I should report it, as it is an error and this is a beta version of the mod. :)

*ETA: It also makes tracking down bugs from other mods more difficult as my log is full of NREs. Right now I'm not having any such bugs, but with such a heavily modded game it's a process I do on a regular basis with mod updates. 

Edited by Fobok

You're only seeing that in the VAB? Hmm. That's the function that updates build progress as time passes. In the VAB it checks the time a different way (since my EditorTime modlet allows time passage in the VAB/SPH) so that could at least partially explain why that's happening. If you get a chance to test it in a new save I'd be curious if it happens with no ships in the build queue and with just one (or a few) ships in the build queue. I am wondering if it is somehow specific to a craft that's queued up, if it happens for any craft, or if it is totally independent of any crafts in the queue.

Just did a quick test, it is happening in a fresh save as well. It was happening with nothing in the queue, then still happening with a ship building, and in my original save I had a tech researching but nothing building when I noticed it. 

Oh, and I just checked and it is happening in the SPH too. I never noticed before as I never actually go in there. (My attempts at planes usually end up nose-first in the runway. ;))

53 minutes ago, eberkain said:

When returning to the KSC overview screen, the KCT window should auto open, it currently is not.  Every time I leave from the astronaut complex, mission control, etc..  I have to reopen the window. 

I've similar desires for improvement.

• The "hover over button, KCT window flashes open" is something that maybe could be removed.
  • I'd also like to see KCT be more sticky about keeping the window open in the various scenes.
  • Remembering different screen positions in different scenes would also be nice.
  • Font/UI scaling would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, a question:

Should I expect any incompatibility regarding the way KCT handles building interactions and timers if I use Custom Barn Kit to give all my buildings four stages instead of three? Like, is there a hardcoded assumption that a specific building (like R&D) can only have three stages, or that a specific stage of a building has a specific feature (such as a certain launchpad mass limit)?

I plan on running this on KSP 1.2.2, using whatever latest mod version I can get my grubby fingers on :)

Edited by Streetwind

20 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Hey all, a question:

Should I expect any incompatibility regarding the way KCT handles building interactions and timers if I use Custom Barn Kit to give all my buildings four stages instead of three? Like, is there a hardcoded assumption that a specific building (like R&D) can only have three stages, or that a specific stage of a building has a specific feature (such as a certain launchpad mass limit)?

I plan on running this on KSP 1.2.2, using whatever latest mod version I can get my grubby fingers on :)

I don't believe there's anything hard coded, but that doesn't mean there won't potentially be incompatibilities. There might be an assumption that there are three levels in there since (for whatever reason) building levels are given as a float between 0 and 1 and I need them as an integer, so I multiply. That would potentially affect any formulas that use the building level, and has a (lesser) possibility to affect the checking of restrictions (vessel size/mass, etc). I'd love to know whether or not it works properly since I'd like it to be general and not care about specific levels.

...A float? Why would they use a float?! :confused: That's silly as heck.

I suppose I can keep a look out for edge cases that go the wrong way while I'm playing. I'll report back later - I'm still building this install and will be building for a while, since I'm customizing like half the game by hand :wink:

3 hours ago, magico13 said:

I don't believe there's anything hard coded, but that doesn't mean there won't potentially be incompatibilities. There might be an assumption that there are three levels in there since (for whatever reason) building levels are given as a float between 0 and 1 and I need them as an integer, so I multiply. That would potentially affect any formulas that use the building level, and has a (lesser) possibility to affect the checking of restrictions (vessel size/mass, etc). I'd love to know whether or not it works properly since I'd like it to be general and not care about specific levels.

I can confirm weirdness ensues on building upgrades with additional levels. I added two more levels to mission control and the astronauts complex, and when the timer hit zero after upgrading them from level 1 to level 2 (of 5), I saw "building already upgraded" on the screen and my funds started spinning upwards. I had to edit my persistence file to get it back to normal. So current KCT does not like upgrading buildings modified with additional levels as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm supposed to be working on this and/or ScrapYard, but for as a fun project to try to get me back into modding and KSP more I've been working on a rewrite of the simulation code from KCT as a separate mod. That effort finally reached the point where it actually sort of functions, although the UI is basically nonexistent and there's no real gameplay yet. I apparently forgot how difficult it is to get something to actually work: I spent the past two days trying to get it to load the backup file and change scenes...

Expect more news on that at the end of the weekend. Assuming this effort has the effect that I'm hoping for of making me want to mod some more, and doesn't instead make me so frustrated that I don't want to look at code anymore, then I might try to get ScrapYard to a beta version ASAP (with KCT integration) and then move to a potential rewrite of KCT after that. IF, and it's a big IF, I attempt to rewrite KCT then I'm going to try to knock it out in about 4 to 6 weeks, with weekly progress reports and a publicly visible progress tracker so that you can all yell at me if I slack off.

If I could time the KCT rewrite with 1.3 release that would be awesome. That's probably 4 to 6 weeks from now though (based on pre-release being in 2 weeks), and ScrapYard should be a higher priority.

Edited by magico13

Thanks for the update @magico13, I've been dreaming on KCT having a rewrite recently, wondering how i could be done better.  You are on to it (or will be)!

4 minutes ago, eberkain said:

JciTXBal.png

photoshop

This would be the best, perhaps with integration with Kerbal Konstructs.  I'd prefer to have the up three launch sites arranged with a KK static for the crawlerway having a junction and two additional stock launch pads flanking the crawler way.  Then you can have each of the launchpad tiers for different sized rockets.

Peace.

19 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

This would be the best, perhaps with integration with Kerbal Konstructs.  I'd prefer to have the up three launch sites arranged with a KK static for the crawlerway having a junction and two additional stock launch pads flanking the crawler way.  Then you can have each of the launchpad tiers for different sized rockets.

Peace.

FYI: Research Bodies manages to add an observatory to the KSC without relying on Kerbal Konstructs.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.