The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Sorry guys. Definitely not out today, nor this weekend. New test builds are being pumped out, such as the one Harv is playing. If I am able to get a more definitive answer on a date or some type of range, you will definitely hear it in here. Thanks for being so patient.

*punches keyboard*

Why do you do this to us?! :(

Sorry guys. Definitely not out today, nor this weekend. New test builds are being pumped out, such as the one Harv is playing. If I am able to get a more definitive answer on a date or some type of range, you will definitely hear it in here. Thanks for being so patient.

I appreciate this. Now I can go about my weekend. It's not the waiting, it's the uncertainty.

I think now would be a good time to placate us by choosing and announcing an actual release date...

It's all part of their evil master plan. Squad has an internal betting pool on how big this thread will grow before the actual release. There's money on this, I can feel it.

thats exactly this

That's not exactly how it goes. I look terrible in beige (or is that light gray) and kicking grannies is far harder than it looks.

I choose to remain in denial... in my experience Squad always has their community manager lie about the release date immediately before any release involving asteroids.

Sorry you feel that way, Flex. I know it's frustrating not to have a release date firmed up with all this info out there. As I said, once I have something other than "soon" or that which I just posted which I am able to say to the community, it will be done.

Umm, what releases involving asteroids?:D

All of them. 100% of the 0 previous updates. (And Rowsdower I'm pretty sure he was joking. And if he wasn't, I surely am!)

So steam did troll me...:(

Nope. You read more into the information you had than that information was telling you.

Just stop saying "SOON" then. It's done when it's done, whatever. But do NOT hype us with "SOON".

This is a long-running meme/gag, it's the simplest answer to the most asked question on the forums.

I think now would be a good time to placate us by choosing and announcing an actual release date...

Why would, if they had the game ready to go, you want them to then pick a date? I'd rather get the game the moment they have it ready than wait for the "official release date."

Edited by 5thHorseman

I blame the asteroids, those things must be buggy as hell if we can see them a week in advance, but then have to wait for experimental phase builds to fix all the problems dealing with them.

Well ^%^* it. I'm out. *gun cocking* BLAAAAMMM! *wakes up* It was all a dream. *looks at self* IMAKERBAL! SWEEEEEEETTT!

Making a release date is a very difficult thing as a game developer, because when you take longer than you have previously guessed when publishing the release date, you either have to do a rushed release full of bugs, or you have to delay the release. Both of which would make lots of people rage.

On the other hand, if you are taking shorter than you guessed, you still need to stick to that release date and let the community wait for something which could be released immediately if you didn't set that date.

Some people will say that they should at least give us an estimated release without any warranties, but it will still cause lots of disappointment in the community if they take longer. In fact even if you don't release any release date and the community only sees some hints, which is exactly what happened here with the steam thing, people will be really disappointed if they turn out to be wrong.

Not really raging, my .gif was more just my brain melting down with all this info available, then something seems to step it all up a notch, then Rowsdowner comes along and hits the reset button on all these 'advancements' by only being allowed to say 'soon'TM

still can't wait... hanging about on this thread says that for me though :wink:

Making a release date is a very difficult thing as a game developer, because when you take longer than you have previously guessed when publishing the release date, you either have to do a rushed release full of bugs, or you have to delay the release. Both of which would make lots of people rage.

On the other hand, if you are taking shorter than you guessed, you still need to stick to that release date and let the community wait for something which could be released immediately if you didn't set that date.

Some people will say that they should at least give us an estimated release without any warranties, but it will still cause lots of disappointment in the community if they take longer. In fact even if you don't release any release date and the community only sees some hints, which is exactly what happened here with the steam thing, people will be really disappointed if they turn out to be wrong.

Yeah... but... I work in a software development environment (I write motion control software and work with application developers on industrial equipment), and we definitely have deadlines and schedules we adhere to.

Maybe schedule commitment is coming in v0.25 ;)

This is supposed to sound tongue-in-cheek. When you're the developers of the best game the world has ever seen, you get special treatment. I would never say a negative word about Squad.

I work with software developers, rather than as, and even them most agile/independent of them do keep private schedules. What they don't do are press conferences only to promise "soon" updates. That drives reporters up the wall because they are the ones looks like chumps when their articles end up incorrect.

Just gonna repost this from the Sneak Peek thread (not mine):

Guys guys guys....Squad just recieved the GDC Audience Award, and told us it was because of how great of a community we are...let's keep it that way. Continually asking about when it will come out, getting upset at Squad for not releasing the version sooner regardless of bugs, and especially speculating that the devs enjoy teasing us and making us wait, is not behavior of a great community. ARM will come when it comes. and when it does, you will enjoy it more than you would've if you got it now and it had bugs. It would be best for the community, best for Squad, and best for you if we just backed off about this subject. Instead of yelling at Squad for not releasing it yet, maybe we could just display our excitement for the realease, and for it going to be awesome. Just a thought from a community member who cares.

Sorry, but some of us are customers and not fanboys. Discussions of how a Squad is handling the media side of this update is valid criticism, especially given the number of promotional vids appearing online and via streams.

Screaming is always bad. Cogent argument based on facts released by Squad is constructive and informative to potential customers reading this forum.

i just want to avoid starting a new career save, only to start another one less than a month later.
I believe your existing career save will work and give you everything new but the asteroids. With .24 set to bring the big career changes, maybe take .23.5 as a time to focus more on sandbox.

Also, am I the only person who's not OMG WANT ARM NOW? It's going to be cool and all, but really, I'm hardly short of stuff to do in the KSP I have.

I recall back in the days of 0.20 when the devs would release the version just a little earlier than they should have, and as such there were bugs a plenty, sometimes game-breakingly so. With the advent of the new Experimentals team, we've been seeing better and better public releases (0.22 and 0.23 didn't even need a .1 patch after release). I support this, as it saves a lot of headache in terms of playing later on, and we generally only have to wait a day or so extra.

That still won't make this weekend any easier though :P