Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

Very cool indeed! Especially like the X-19

Now I'm off to look for and download nertea's MKIV parts which I didn't know about till now... :cool:

The link to his release thread for the MkIV is below the photos of the 'X-19'. :)

Edited by Raptor9

I might have to grab that part pack for a tank-carrying SSTO... It looks really good!

Edit. Actually, after finding the thread, it might be a bit small still for the kind of stuff I am going to put there. The X-19 ends up with a bay about the same size as my Quinjet, and I want something that can fit very wide eight-wheelers. But you know, still worth a look so thanks.

Edited by Rune

I might have to grab that part pack for a tank-carrying SSTO... It looks really good!

Edit. Actually, after finding the thread, it might be a bit small still for the kind of stuff I am going to put there. The X-19 ends up with a bay about the same size as my Quinjet, and I want something that can fit very wide eight-wheelers. But you know, still worth a look so thanks.

Yeah, I tried wheeling my mobile surface lab in there, you have to design a 2.5M-based rover with the bay-width in mind. It might be doable, but you have to really consider your wheel selection and placement. You ever see a Humvee inside a CH-47 Chinook? You're talking inches on all sides, and driving it up/down the cargo bay ramp like an inch-worm. :P

EDIT: @Rune, you might be interested to know that Nertea is considering making lift-fans for a possible atmospheric propulsion pack in his Near Future Tech thread. They might be a good addition to your QuinJet. I'm gonna make a QuinJet with those myself if he decides to do them.

Edited by Raptor9

• 1 month later...

EDIT: Current prototype designations referenced in this post are depreciated after 1.0 redesign of all craft files.

Updated my OP with the re-optimized craft designs after the release of 0.90. Most of the existing designs weren't edited too much, but some were, to take advantage of more precise airfoil orientation and angles using the editor gizmos. The X-19 was redesignated as the HV-X, and a lightweight drone was inserted. Additionally, three more designs (not including the X-19 drone) were introduced. A modern X-17 with the remade Mk3 parts, and two advanced spaceplanes with VTOL capability using stock parts.

Here's a publicity screenshot of the X-21 using Lack's Mk3 tail ramp from his STock eXtension mod. I threw it on there for this photo since Squad hasn't released any tail ramps for the Mk3 parts (yet?). A try to keep away from mods with these designs, and I'll probably use an X-21 with an inverted cargo bay to drop 2.5m modules to the surface since they won't fit through this anyway. But it still looks cool.

X-21atnight_zps7dc5e8ac.png

SXT link

Edited by Raptor9

• 4 months later...

My 1.0 SPH file revamp is still underway, and it's really fun to rediscover how to make these experimental planes under the new aero model. Here's some pictures of the activity inside my SPH hanger...

A recently tweeted picture from one of Wernher Von Kerman's interns:

SPH%20006%20Daily%20bustle%20of%20activity_zpsuahhgf7e.jpg

Edited by Raptor9

Nice! Can you get good maneuverability on the X-12 without all-moving pitch surfaces though? I would have thought that the fixed parts of the tail would make it too stable.

Nice! Can you get good maneuverability on the X-12 without all-moving pitch surfaces though? I would have thought that the fixed parts of the tail would make it too stable.

The X-12 isn't nearly as maneuverable as the X-13 since, like you said, it lacks all moving tail surfaces. However, it's still able to pull off 6-12G's, depending on what speed you initiate the pitch back between 200-350 m/s. In real-world terms, that's really good. The X-13 can max out in the red portion of G-meter easily during the first several seconds of the turn, and that's without thrust-vectoring (gimbal is locked, the X-12's aren't). It should also be noted that the forward most sections of both aircraft, the long adapter and even the nose cone, can hold fuel, but normally don't for most flights. They can be fueled for longer flights while maneuverability takes a penalty, however. At least until you burn off some fuel.

For fictional immersion, I justify these setups in that the X-12 was built for speed and stealth, whereas the X-13 was more in focused on maneuverability and cheaper costs. Not to mention that real-world fighter planes are restricted in their maneuverability when carrying external fuel tanks or heavy ordinance (however that is due to structural limits, not CG issues).

Edited by Raptor9

While the CV-15 revolutionized the air logistics mission by providing long-range transport without the need of a runway, there was limits on what it could do. It's VTOL capabilities gave it flexibility, however it suffered from a poor power-to-weight ratio when landing vertically with a heavy payload.

CV-15%20Landing%20Vertically_zpsxnsqiyss.png

CV-15%20At%20a%20Field%20Site_zpsnzgiknyl.png

A new series of aircraft needed to be developed...STAY TUNED

Edited by Raptor9

After realizing that hybrid verti-planes (airplanes with VTOL capability) could only go so far in terms of capability and performance, lead engineers at the Kerbin Space Agency's SPH RAC cell developed a brand new aerospace concept with a focus on vertical propulsion. The goal was to create a new series of aircraft that could hover just as easily as conventional airplanes were capable of flying at high speeds. As a result, the XV program (eXperimental Vertical) was created. Interested parties soon took interest, namely civil emergency services, the Kerbin Defense Forces (KDF), as well as executives from the KSA itself. At the outset of construction, two prototypes were developed, the XV-M and the XV-A...

The XV-M (Mobility) was to be the baseline behind the concept of vertical propulsion. It's purpose was to provide the ability to carry personnel or cargo and deliver them safely and reliably anywhere big enough to land the aircraft.

XV-M%20Test%20Flight_zpsu5xyoqes.jpg

The XV-A (Attack) was a design aimed for purchase by the KDF. While it was heavier than it's unarmed counterpart, the XV-M, it had a 60% increase in fuel capacity. Further, due to many commonalities in design with the XV-M, namely the propulsion and portions of the fuselage, this aircraft became an attractive prospect for the KDF from a logistical and pilot training perspective.

XV-A%20NOE_zpsep3zmkfr.jpg

After the initial successes of the flight tests of the XV-M and XV-A, the XV program was expanded to determine what future growth this concept could provide...STAY TUNED

Edited by Raptor9

After realizing that hybrid verti-planes (airplanes with VTOL capability) could only go so far in terms of capability and performance, lead engineers at the Kerbin Space Agency's SPH Engineering Department developed a brand new aerospace concept with a focus on vertical propulsion. The goal was to create a new series of aircraft that could hover just as easily as conventional airplanes were capable of flying at high speeds. As a result, the XV program (eXperimental Vertical) was created. Interested parties soon took interest, namely civil emergency services, the Kerbin Defense Forces (KDF), as well as executives from the KSA itself. At the outset of construction, two prototypes were developed, the XV-M and the XV-A...

The XV-M (Mobility) was to be the baseline behind the concept of vertical propulsion. It's purpose was to provide the ability to carry personnel or cargo and deliver them safely and reliably anywhere big enough to land the aircraft.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/SPH%20Showcase/XV-M%20Test%20Flight_zpsu5xyoqes.jpg

The XV-A (Attack) was a design aimed for purchase by the KDF. While it was heavier than it's unarmed counterpart, the XV-M, it had a 60% increase in fuel capacity. Further, due to many commonalities in design with the XV-M, namely the propulsion and portions of the fuselage, this aircraft became an attractive prospect for the KDF from a logistical and pilot training perspective.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/SPH%20Showcase/XV-A%20NOE_zpsep3zmkfr.jpg

After the initial successes of the flight tests of the XV-M and XV-A, the XV program was expanded to determine what future growth this concept could provide...STAY TUNED

Getting ready for that....

Awesome dude, just awesome..

After the successful flight tests of the XV-M and XV-A concept demonstrators, the engineering team at the SPH RAC cell began designing a larger, more powerful version of the XV concept, the XV-H (Heavy). This airframe would have twice the power of the previous designs, and have a pair of augmentation engines for horizontal propulsion, giving it dash speeds far exceeding the top speeds of the M or A variants. The XV-H, after construction, was tested to have a max takeoff weight (MTOW) of 40 tons, which equated to 10 tons of payload available at sea level if fully-fueled.

XV-H%20Departing%20KSC_zpsutytmjcc.jpg     XV-H%20On%20Approach_zpskp6i5lwu.jpg

XV-H%20Landed%20at%20Island%20Airfield_zpshpmnb4bm.png

Even with dash speeds as high as 115 m/s, the engineers in the RAC cell felt they could lift more with less. Again, they returned to the drawing boards...STAY TUNED

Edited by Raptor9