Mun Landing Help

Hi all, newbee questions?

First some history I have been flying flight sims for years and have built and flown my own "ultralight" plane, look me up on youtube.

Main question:

What view is best for landing?

I have been using a top down chase view but this gives me no clue what kind of slope

I'm coming down on?

Trying to land just east of the huge crater on Mun from a 7000 m circular equitorial orbit.

My lander is a MK1 capsule with a 100 and 200 tank and 909 engine so it is a bit top heavy.

Make nice landings some times and still fall over LOL

Does thrusting at low altitude over a slope cause you to start drifting in a direction that you weren't previously traveling?

This game is hard but I love it!!!

V.9 installed right after Elon Musk mentioned it in the news!

Edited by Gent Harris
spelling error

What view is best for landing?

I just use the default camera view, myself. That said, I often move the camera around with mouse to get a better perspective and a better look at the slope.

Does thrusting at low altitude over a slope cause you to start drifting in a direction that you weren't previously traveling?

I'm not sure about that one, but I expect somebody else can answer it.

This game is hard but I love it!!!

Yes!

Happy landings!

The trick for me (i have alot of "airplane" type designs, err sci-fi sstos that get 4K dv in orbit), is to go in at a shallow slope to the target, and burn retrograde as late as possible, but not so late that i risk hitting the ground. Idealy your decent will look liek a reverse gravity turn, at least thats what ive found to work well for me.

The entire way down you should be looking to make sure the area you picked is going to turn out to be as flat as you hoped. Make your corrections to flatter areas early if possible. In the last hundred meters or so I think it's easiest to leave the camera in the normal (auto) mode and constantly scroll the view around with the mouse to make sure there's not a better spot to land just a few meters away, and to keep an eye on how far away the ground is.

In the last 10 meters or so I just watch the navball, making sure I'm landing at low speed, straight down.

Auto view gets my vote. Burning vertically over a slope doesn't give you horizontal movement.

If you want to know about the slope of the ground before you land, I recommend SCANSat - it's fun, and adds a reason for unmanned probes too.

First, keep pointing to the surface retrograde vector. Click the label above the navball until it shows "Surface" and your speed, and then point to the retrograde marker. Apply thrust aiming for 10m/s in the last few hundred meters.

Being top-heavy doesn't help, but you are tipping over because you have too much horizontal velocity on touchdown. If you do the above, you can kill all velocity a few meters above the ground, then you can simply point to the center of the navball and then proceed to a gentle vertical fall.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.