Rescue command module in elliptic orbit

Hi

My son launched a command module (mk1) and detached the rocket, so now we have a kerbal in an elliptic orbit (inclined) with no way of getting him back. I promised a rescue mission, but what is the best way to go about this?

1.) I hate EVA's, I generally loose complete control

2.) there is no docking port

My plan was to rendezvous and use the grabbing thing to connect, then get in an orbit that will bring both to verbal, detach and land both craft.

Question is: will this work?

And probably too: I can do hohmann manoeuvres in circular orbits, but am unsure about elliptic ones. I guess I have one shot when I time the rendezvous precise.

Any tips?

Regards

Chris

Tip 1: get better at EVAs, no time like the present. The Key to a successful EVA is to only make small adjustments, tap, don't hold. If you think you're moving you are, if you know you're moving you're going way too fast.

Tip 2: you're plan would work perfectly, the thing with Rendezvous is it's not like the movies where you just burn towards your target and you're there, you will have a close approach, make sure this is as close as possible (2.5km is good enough 0.0 is perfect) at this point plop a maneuver node there, but don't actually do anything with it (It's a countdown clock) at that point point to target retrograde (you may have to switch the navball by clicking the speed indicator) and watch the map until you get close to your close approach, Zero your velocity and use RCS to grab with the claw. Don't worry about undocking them when you hit the atmosphere, assuming they both have parachutes you will be fine.

You could always EVA the stranded space Kerbal after pointing your capsule at Retrograde when at Apoapsis, then use your jetpack to reduce your Periapsis into the atmosphere... Depends what your orbit is though. If your 80km x 300km or even 100 x 250 it should be possible I think before you run out of fuel in the jetpack. Just don't run him down to 0, you still need to get back into the capsule.

If you're deploying a rescue using the grappling arm, keep in mind that as long as your inclination between the orbits is the same, you are not restricted to any particular point of interception. Obviously the most dV-efficient solution is to intercept at the periapsis of ellipse, but that requires a specific, narrow launch window. If you can make it into orbit with enough dV available to the rescue craft, you can drag the navigation node along your orbit to easily find intercept solutions at any point in time.

Then once you intercept within a few kilometers it's simple to gradually kill relative velocity until you're in matched orbits and a few meters apart. But remember, when doing intercepts, the more dV you pack, the less specific you have to be about points in time and space.

• 11 months later...
9 hours ago, MacLuky said:

Just realised I never replied to this, thanks for all tips. Kerbal has been safely returned and skills were vastly improved by this endeavour. Thanks!

Glad to hear it worked out!  :)

A couple of additional comments, for anyone else reading this:

• +1 for developing EVA skill.  As @Taki117 points out, the key to EVA is don't try to hurry.  Slow slow slow.  Tiny little taps on the keys, as brief as possible.  You want to be drifting at centimeters per second.
  • If you did, in fact, latch on with the Klaw, bear in mind that you don't have to actually bring both craft back to Kerbin.  Once the Klaw is engaged, the two craft act like they're docked, and you can transfer kerbals back and forth without going EVA at all.  So one way to recover from a situation like this without any EVA is to send a rescue ship with empty seats and a grabber.

If you did, in fact, latch on with the Klaw, bear in mind that you don't have to actually bring both craft back to Kerbin.  Once the Klaw is engaged, the two craft act like they're docked, and you can transfer kerbals back and forth without going EVA at all.  So one way to recover from a situation like this without any EVA is to send a rescue ship with empty seats and a grabber.

This.  Grabbing something with the klaw makes it part of your ship, so you can transfer fuel and kerbals to between your original ship and whatever you grabbed.

Also, EVA is fun when you get the hang of it.  I'm getting no end of enjoyment building up stations using KIS and KAS.  Like in real life, the key is to take it really slow at first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.