Kerbin Geographic And Science Society

togfox

I have been hunting for a glacier in Kerbin over the last few days, would you say this classifies as such an example?

screenshot41j.png

I check, because it seems I have trouble identifing the difference between a pinnacle and a plateau ???

Edited by Rich

Just curious:

Has anyone had success with/even tried TileMill for rendering your csv data?

It sounds like something that can be used, but I haven\'t tried it and it might be totally unsuited to the purpose, but there it is if you want to give it a go, and it has a Mac version.

Could we call this location 'Atlantis Bay'?

I know I don\'t have exact location of this place but if you need to have that, I\'ll be happy to collect any data needed.

Yeah, we will need a screenshot of your ship/capsule splashed down in the bay. In addition to this the longitude and latitude, which can be obtained from the Tracking Station once you have landed.

I will have to let togfox decide whether this feature will need to go to poll, or is small/obscure enough to be named immediately.

Happy exploring :D !

Rich

Whilst it is a region I think it is obscure enough to name without a poll. I don\'t think too many people will be lining up to contest that location.

We\'ll need lat/long co-ordinates and a capsule there so we know you\'ve actually been there and you just haven\'t picked a random place from the orbital map.

Altitude is also very handy. If you can\'t get that in the screenshot then just type it into your post - it helps with the map markers to have the correct altitude for each name.

Name:To be decided by poll

Nominated names: Tear Duct Glacier

Latitude: 71� 34\' 55' N

Longitude: 75� 35\' 34\'\' E

Altitude: 31m

Celestial body: Kerbin

screenshot46td.png

screenshot44a.png

screenshot45g.png
Edited by Rich

In recognition of this mission, I would like to propose to the Kerbal Geographic Society that the Munar highlands located near 70° 06\'N, 52° 18\'E be named the 'Mercator Highlands'. The Mercator I probe detected peaks as high as 3315 m in that region.

In honor of your excellent work and achievement:

Name: Mercator Highlands

Latitude: 70° 06\'N

Longitude: 52° 18\'E

Altitude: 3336 m

Celestial Body: Mun

It\'s hard to say if any has changed when looking in map mode. There are some familiar landmarks (Jebs landing) but there are other parts that don\'t look the same. I\'m guessing there might have been some touch up but not much. If even a little bit has changed then we\'ll need all new maps.

Nice to know - I\'m on my way to Minmus to map this very slowly and painstakingly ... not from orbit - that\'s how girls do it ... I\'ll be mapping from the ground ... eek!!!!! The sign of a true nutcase cartographer!

Name: To be decided by poll

Nominated names: Zoot Gateway, God\'s Goalposts, The Squad\'s Loops, Delicate Arch

Celestial Body: Mun

Since this is an Easter egg feature, it is probably best just to stick with giving it a name via poll, and leaving its position a secret. Though I will ask togfox if we can have a spoiler version of the maps, which includes the locations of Munoliths, Kerboliths, Minoliths and Arches.

I would like to have Mt. Maxwell (my dog) named on the surface of Minmus.

I have a surface photo, a photo from high in altitude and the coordinates North and West. It\'s pretty easy to find, though.

Coordinates listed in map view are, 37o 30\' 44' N | 95o58\' 44'W

I can\'t believe this hadn\'t been named yet. I\'m thinking this needs a poll, it\'s kind of a semi-major feature especially given the location.

I suggest the name of 'Spaniel' for this island, northeast of KSC. The smaller companion island can be known as 'Beagle'. Both are a play on words on the real-world Labrador, but the Kerbals wouldn\'t know that - the islands would have been named those things for their own reasons, though there are two breeds of kerbal dog-analogues that were developed on these islands and named after them... ;D

The pictures were taken near the highest point on the island, 112m above sea level.

I ended up visiting Spaniel after a failed spaceplane launch caused me to jettison the rocket engines, recover from the spin they\'d caused, and land at the nearest available location.

View from the ground, looking towards Beagle.

3qG7K.png

Aerial view of the island.

kfluh.jpg

Satellite views, with and without lat/long.

8sNAD.png

qEAjC.jpg

Edited to include persistence file with landed craft. Requires MechJeb. Please ignore other crafts in the sfs!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.