The 'new forum' is a joke.

Robotengineer

See this is the problem with the Internet these days, people have one source of information and no matter how outlandish the story or claim that comes from it they take it as true. I mean comon was it really that believable that they would charge us to see older posts, limit forum posts to 140 characters or post our IRL name, age and current location? If Max posted on twitter "good bye KSP" what would your reaction be, think that he is leaving ksp? Or to wait until you have further information before making a decision on what was ment by that tweet. Honestly it's the same reaction that this community has over anything. Look at the destructible buildings fiasco, the amount of cries that it was a useless feature were immense, even though it had been stated that it was only the ground work for another major feature in the game.

Honestly these forums need to ingest a healthy amount of skepitcism.

Edit: Oh post 888, nice.

I mean comon was it really that believable that they would charge us to see older posts, limit forum posts to 140 characters or post our IRL name, age and current location?

Yes.

Okay, for KSP forums it's not such a realistic prospect, but the first two are already happening in places (SA charges to view old posts, and as far as I know has done for a long time. Using real name rather than a username is encouraged on a lot of sites, not the least youtube. Age and location are already parameters on the forum).

The 140 character limit is pretty unrealistic, though more because the effort required to allow tweeting posts would be too high than because it's a bad usability decision. (Too many sites make horrible usability decisions, I have no specific example.)

The idea was pretty good as an April fools, but having been done so early it was understandable that it would be taken with complete credulity. Much crazier things have happened online.

Also: Congratulations on your repeating digits.

Yes.

Okay, for KSP forums it's not such a realistic prospect,

My point precisely. It doesn't matter if it is happening where it's happening, what matters is how likely it is to happen to the KSP forums.

but the first two are already happening in places (SA charges to view old posts, and as far as I know has done for a long time. Using real name rather than a username is encouraged on a lot of sites, not the least youtube. Age and location are already parameters on the forum).

What's SA? I'm guessing it's really obvious. WRT real names being used the big issue was that it said that it would also reveal our current location and age as well, at least in my opinion that was a big clue. Also yeah they are parameters but

who can see them is customizable.

The 140 character limit is pretty unrealistic, though more because the effort required to allow tweeting posts would be too high than because it's a bad usability decision. (Too many sites make horrible usability decisions, I have no specific example.)

No objection here.

The idea was pretty good as an April fools, but having been done so early it was understandable that it would be taken with complete credulity. Much crazier things have happened online.

I don't think timing was an issue, personally as I said I think that it was outlandish enough not to need any significant indicators. And yeah many a crazy things have happened on the Internet.

Also: Congratulations on your repeating digits.

Thanks! Honestly didn't think that I posted that much.

Man, people are sooooo gullible. This thread reminds me of reading the comments when The Onion posts articles to Facebook. Come on guys, just think for, like, a second.

1. Squad isn't The Onion.
  2. It looked like a 100% legit announcement until they added the text at the bottom after they confirmed it to people who PM'd KasperVld.
  3. One does not simply post an April Fools joke 12 days before April Fools and expect it to be easily seen as a joke.

2. It looked like a 100% legit announcement until they added the text at the bottom after they confirmed it to people who PM'd KasperVld.
  3. One does not simply post an April Fools joke 12 days before April Fools and expect it to be easily seen as a joke.

4, Hindsight is 20/20.

Come on, 140 words per post? That point alone is such an utterly obvious joke, there is no logic why you'd ever want to do that to a forum.

To be completely honest, it is kinda cynical to assume that was true for more than a second. Do you think SQUAD are total idiots? They made KSP, so of course they aren't. Their Early Access Program is one of the best, if not the best in the whole industry. It would need quite a collective mental breakdown to arrive at the notion implementing those ideas would be good thing. Or not flatout dangerous and illegal in a lot of countries.

If you feel like blaming the initiator of the joke, which might well be valid, then you should also blame yourself for falling for such an obvious joke.

Edited by Temeter

If you feel like blaming the initiator of the joke, which might well be valid, then you should also blame yourself for falling for such an obvious joke.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...well you won't fool me again.

As I said, skepticism. People have a bad habit of takeing things as true no matter how redicious it is when it's comes from a reliable source with no cross referencing, people really need to start withholding judgement until more information is collected.

My point precisely. It doesn't matter if it is happening where it's happening, what matters is how likely it is to happen to the KSP forums.

What's SA? I'm guessing it's really obvious. WRT real names being used the big issue was that it said that it would also reveal our current location and age as well, at least in my opinion that was a big clue. Also yeah they are parameters but

who can see them is customizable.

No objection here.

I don't think timing was an issue, personally as I said I think that it was outlandish enough not to need any significant indicators. And yeah many a crazy things have happened on the Internet.

SA is Something Awful. They charge to view posts older than 6 months, among other things.

Real name was probably a pretty good indicator that it was fake, since that's not an existing parameter. Location is more interesting to imagine implemented (I'm interested in how many other users are currently Landed at Eve. I can't see any from here.)

Since the original thread is gone, it's becoming increasingly hard to remember what I was thinking at the time.

AHA this came and went un noticed to myself.

ahahaha very good.

If you were to try charge me to use the forums i just wouldn't use the forums. Simply. I wouldn't even say im not using the forums.

It is the most outrageous thing i have ever heard, funny

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...well you won't fool me again.

See? Squad even taught you something about the internet. This time it's just a harmless joke, next time it might be a fraud.

So this is what Maxmaps was talking about in Squadcast. That's quite an extreme April Fool's joke, perhaps a little overplanned; it worked TOO well.

Thanks for the great prank squad, and yes, i mean it. All the dramaqueens here provided the laughs that your a little off timing lacked to deliver. :)

Tldr: very funny, thank you ;)

I've actually gone and read all 37 pages. Highly amusing.

I think the worrying thing is that it seemed entirely reasonable to expect that a forum would attempt changes like that. It says bad things about how websites can be run today, and what people expect of them.

<snip>

So as a joke towards the current state and trend of websites, I like this week early april fools, now that I know that's what it is.

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that this kind of thing does happen, so could be believable. I think Kasper made a valid point with this.

Okay, for KSP forums it's not such a realistic prospect, <snip>

Yeah, I'm amazed people believed SQUAD would actually do that to the forum; it's so completely out of character. But then again, some companies would.

AHA this came and went un noticed to myself.

ahahaha very good.

If you were to try charge me to use the forums i just wouldn't use the forums. Simply. I wouldn't even say im not using the forums.

It is the most outrageous thing i have ever heard, funny

Yeah, I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread. I would definitely not have believed it, as it's too far-fetched that SQUAD would do that. I mean okay, the rush to 1.0 may raise a few eyebrows, but it's pretty obvious they're going to do a good job of it, and always do the best for the game and the community. If this had been real I would probably have spent half an hour writing a very long-winded but eloquent message to Kasper (and probably others) explaining in detail exactly why it was a terrible idea and that it would alienate quite a large chunk of the community.

EDIT: Now what was I doing before I got distracted by this thread? Oh yeah, reading Devnote Tuesday, another example of what makes SQUAD a good game deveolper.

Edited by TheMoonRover

See? Squad even taught you something about the internet. This time it's just a harmless joke, next time it might be a fraud.

"Harmless" is debatable.

Now some people have lost trust in Squad. Lost trust in Kasper.

"Harmless" is debatable.

If they "lost trust" in someone for a hilarious joke, they never had much trust to begin with. With internet "friends" people tend to have near zero actual "relationships" despite how close they pretend they actually are. Of course, given the state of what we call "technology" these days, some of these changes could actually pass as acceptable if a company (say... Apple) decided it was "the next great thing."

It would be hilarious if someone decided to resurrect the office assistant again in a mobile device. "It looks like you're trying to send a text message, do you want to try voice activated messaging instead", "It looks like you're having marital problems, do you want to seek marriage consoling", "It looks like you're about to throw me in the river, should I back up all your data to the cloud and order a new phone."

And then, the next day, it'll be on your doorstep. "It looks like you tried to get rid of me, lucky that I found you again!"

If they "lost trust" in someone for a hilarious joke, they never had much trust to begin with. With internet "friends" people tend to have near zero actual "relationships" despite how close they pretend they actually are. Of course, given the state of what we call "technology" these days, some of these changes could actually pass as acceptable if a company (say... Apple) decided it was "the next great thing."

It would be hilarious if someone decided to resurrect the office assistant again in a mobile device. "It looks like you're trying to send a text message, do you want to try voice activated messaging instead", "It looks like you're having marital problems, do you want to seek marriage consoling", "It looks like you're about to throw me in the river, should I back up all your data to the cloud and order a new phone."

And then, the next day, it'll be on your doorstep. "It looks like you tried to get rid of me, lucky that I found you again!"

Hilarious? That joke was no where near hilarious! It was preying on people not reading the whole post (it gets SUPER obvious that it's a joke if you read the whole thing, but not everybody does that...).

And why have you gone off on a tangent about something barely related?

"Harmless" is debatable.

It isn't Squads fault that people are gullible. As I said one source of information is never sufficient to take something on face value. I find it extremly unlikely that the majority of the people who were up in arms about the "new forum" gave the post a very through examination as to the likelyhood of it being true or sought out secondary information. If people are hurt because they got duped then tough luck.

Hilarious? That joke was no where near hilarious! It was preying on people not reading the whole post (it gets SUPER obvious that it's a joke if you read the whole thing, but not everybody does that...).

my honest opinion: If people didn't care enough to read the whole thing, then why did they care enough to complain about it like it was going to be the end of the world?

Get the facts, then complain. -words to live by