[1.2.2] Contract Pack: Bases and Stations 3.6.1 (30/04/2017) (formerly Kerbin Space Station)

severedsolo

This is why you don't release things 5 minutes before you leave the house ;) Sorry about that.

Kerbin Space Station 2.3.4.1 Released!

Re-package of 2.3.4 - new version number for CKAN purposes. (thanks timmers_uk)

Cool, thanks.

If you are interested, last night whilst fixing things up myself, I pulled your work in progress from github and fixed up the contract configurator parsing issues with it - mainly just 'AllVessels()' instead of 'AllVessels', and updating the contract groups on the individual contracts - I can (probably, if I can remember how to do it) send you a pull request for the changes if you like - I just couldn't resist having contracts for all those other bodies available.

Timmers

Do you get contracts for placing a space station in useful space station pack?

You'll get the stock ones, I don't provide my own in USS.

I can't seem to get core contracts complete, tho I saw a hint here. I need to have 4 kerbals on board? do I need to have a spesific, or all docking ports?

Can you provide a screenshot of your craft and the contracts window where it should complete? I'll take a look and see if I can see what's going wrong. Space for 4 Kerbals should be sufficient - they don't have to be on board.

Any docking port that uses the ModuleDockingNode should work.

Cool, thanks.

If you are interested, last night whilst fixing things up myself, I pulled your work in progress from github and fixed up the contract configurator parsing issues with it - mainly just 'AllVessels()' instead of 'AllVessels', and updating the contract groups on the individual contracts - I can (probably, if I can remember how to do it) send you a pull request for the changes if you like - I just couldn't resist having contracts for all those other bodies available.

Timmers

Go ahead and submit the pull - I left off halfway through, hence the errors. If it saves me a little time, I'll take it.

Well, as Timmers has let the cat out of the bag:

A bit of news on the next version of KSS.

As alluded to above, the next version will include contracts to place space stations around EVERY stock body in the game. Now, I didn't much feel like typing

LKOStationNEW, MunStationNEW, MinmusStationNEW, DunaStationNEW, EveStationNEW

and so on.

So, instead, I am going to merge Useful Space Stations into Kerbin Space Station. This has the happy effect of making maintenence missions generate for all stations, rather than just the defined "official" KSS Stations. However, you will still only get one "launch a station" mission for each body.

So if you want more stations, you are launching them for free (but you'll get maintenance contracts for them).

Of course this flexibility comes at a price. Firstly, it's quite likely it will break any existing contracts. (So make sure that you finish up any actives before upgrading when the release comes out).

Secondly, Useful Space Stations is going to be unsupported once KSS 3.0 comes out. Instead, if you would rather have the stock contracts, you can simply remove the core missions, and KSS will function exactly as USS used to.

Personally, I think this change will be the best of both worlds. In hindsight (isn't it always the way), this is what I wish I had done with KSS in the first place.

Edited by severedsolo

Oh yeah! The station contract around every body(and not only kerbin/mun/minmus) was the only reason I uninstalled KSS and replaced it with USS.

When is the update coming out?

Soonâ„¢ ;)

Seriously though, I don't know. When it's done. It's not a massive change, like going from 1.x to 2.x was, as that needed a complete re-write from the ground up, but it's still alot of work.

Mainly copy/pasting, but as we've established with the 2.3.x releases, I suck at copy/pasting and errors creep in :)

Add onto that the fact I have a 2 year old daughter, and a full time job I don't get a massive amount of time to work on this stuff. If you are lucky, I'll have a pre-release ready by Sunday evening (british time). If not, then Soonâ„¢

Can you provide a screenshot of your craft and the contracts window where it should complete? I'll take a look and see if I can see what's going wrong. Space for 4 Kerbals should be sufficient - they don't have to be on board.

Any docking port that uses the ModuleDockingNode should work.

My station core, with just the requirements. contract open. http://i.imgur.com/836sxEY.png

room for 5, electric charge, docking port. (before I unlocked the normal docking port, a normal sized port called "KSS thingajingy" appeared in vab, this disappeared later)

My station core, with just the requirements. contract open. http://i.imgur.com/836sxEY.png

room for 5, electric charge, docking port. (before I unlocked the normal docking port, a normal sized port called "KSS thingajingy" appeared in vab, this disappeared later)

You are missing a science lab. Also, looks like you are running an old version - I fixed that exact bug about 2 versions ago. If you are running 2.3.4.1 you'll need to reject your active contract and wait for it to regenerate.

a normal sized port called "KSS thingajingy" appeared in vab, this disappeared later)

Odd... you should never see this, it's an old legacy part. Are you definitely running the latest Contract Configurator and Module Manager too?

I've sent a pull request - feel free to redo, reject, mock, or whatever takes your fancy with it.

Thanks!

Edited by severedsolo

You are missing a science lab. Also, looks like you are running an old version - I fixed that exact bug about 2 versions ago. If you are running 2.3.4.1 you'll need to reject your active contract and wait for it to regenerate.

Odd... you should never see this, it's an old legacy part. Are you definitely running the latest Contract Configurator and Module Manager too?

Thanks!

The contract might have been from the bugged version, I found much more info on demands on a diferent save. other than that, am using CKAN and it's current versions. damn, I hoped adding a sciencelab was its own mission. i'll try to replicate conditions for the thingamajingy another day

The contract might have been from the bugged version, I found much more info on demands on a diferent save. other than that, am using CKAN and it's current versions. damn, I hoped adding a sciencelab was its own mission. i'll try to replicate conditions for the thingamajingy another day

You don't have to launch it all in one go. If you dock a science lab later the mission will still complete.

What is this 'Useful Space Stations' mod? I can't find it anywhere. I would like to use it until this mod is updated to have stations for any planetary body.

EDIT: I'm a dummy, it's at the bottom of the post. I thought it was made by somebody else. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Kerbin Space Station 3.0 is ready!

I'm going to release as a pre-release for now, as I have only done smoke testing (that is, the contracts all load in KSP without throwing an error).

Just a reminder of the design goals:

I am going to merge Useful Space Stations into Kerbin Space Station. This has the happy effect of making maintenence missions generate for all stations, rather than just the defined "official" KSS Stations. However, you will still only get one "launch a station" mission for each body....

...if you want more stations, you are launching them for free (but you'll get maintenance contracts for them)...

...it's quite likely it will break any existing contracts. (So make sure that you finish up any actives before upgrading...).

...Useful Space Stations is going to be unsupported once KSS 3.0 comes out. Instead, if you would rather have the stock contracts, you can simply remove the core missions (folder), and KSS will function exactly as USS used to.

Have a play, see what you think :) Should also make it fully RSS compatible.

EVERYBODY will need to do a full delete/reinstall as the folder structure has changed.

Changelog:

• Added functionality so that any space station (not just KSS stations) will generate maintenance contracts if they are selected as stations (right click -> rename -> (select type station) (as per Useful Space Stations)
  • Various minor bugfixes.
  • NEW TO BETA 2 Replaced Core Missions with a generic (expression based) contract. This also enables stations around every single body in the system.

Massive props to timmers_uk who saw the direction I was going in, and did alot of the hard work for me.

Download Link

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Appreciate the mod, like it a lot! It defenitely brings more purpose to building a space station.

I've built a spacestation with parts from the StationScience mod to complete a set of missions from your mod. The mission says I have to return the experiment module back to Kerbin. I suppose this is by design, so it will give a little more challenge to de-orbit the experiment module before you get the reward. But i've built a station with several experiments, capable of interplanetary transfer, so I can complete missons for other planets without launching new stations. Is there anyway I can complete the experiment-missions without returning the experiment module it self back to Kerbin?

Edited by sebbemann

Hi!

Appreciate the mod, like it a lot! It defenitely brings more purpose to building a space station.

I've built a spacestation with parts from the StationScience mod to complete a set of missions from your mod. The mission says I have to return the experiment module back to Kerbin. I suppose this is by design, so it will give a little more challenge to de-orbit the experiment module before you get the reward. But i've built a station with several experiments, capable of interplanetary transfer, so I can complete missons for other planets without launching new stations. Is there anyway I can complete the experiment-missions without returning the experiment module it self back to Kerbin?

Are you sure that's one of mine and not a Station Science mission?

Station Science contracts require the whole pod is returned (I believe it's designed to stop you from doing exactly what you intend, as stations should be long terms installations, but you'd have to ask ethernet about that).

My contracts on the other hand, don't care. Just return any piece of science to Kerbin, by hook or by crook.

TL,DR:

If the title says "perform <experiment name> in orbit around <body>" that's Station Science - and you will need to return the module.

If it says "Perform a science experiment on <your stations name>" - that's one of mine. Just return it in any science container, as you normally would.

Word of advice though, if your experiment is already in space, you need to accept my contract before you dock it ot the station - otherwise it won't complere.

Well nobody has complained so I'll assume it's stable.

Kerbin Space Station 3.0 Released!

• Replaced Core Missions with a generic (expression based) contract. This also enables stations around every single body in the system. (should also support custom planet packs/RSS)
  • Added functionality so that any space station (not just KSS stations) will generate maintenance contracts if they are selected as stations (right click -> rename -> (select type station) (as per Useful Space Stations)
  • Various minor bugfixes.

Everybody should delete the full KSS folder and re-install as the folder structure has changed

Obviously USS users will also need to do this.

KSS users: please make sure you have no active KSS contracts when you upgrade. I'm not sure what the impact will be if you don't, but USS and KSS didn't play nice together.

Useful Space Stations is now deprecated, and anyone who chooses to continue using it should consider it unsupported. If you wish to keep USS functionality (ie, stock station missions instead of my own) - just delete the "Core Missions" folder and everything will work as it did before.

On a personal note: I am on holiday for the next week, so support will be non existent.

Edited by severedsolo

I'm a little confused where to install this. Do I put the KerbinSpaceStation folder in the GameData folder like other mods, or do I put it in the GameData/ContractPacks folder like other contract packs?

Oh, whoops - I messed up the folder structure. It doesn't really matter, but best practice would be to place it on GameData/ContractPacks (it will work fine whichever though) - I will fix this when I get back next week,

Is it WAD that with the latest update, you can accept several identical station contracts at once...and presumbly fulfill them all with the same station in order to make huge wads of cash?

Also, I keep getting contract offers to put up a station in orbit around...Kerbol...This...err...sounds like an expensive, impractical suicide mission for the Kerbals involved, and likely a one way trip. Has anyone done this before/have any tips on making it practical?

Just eject from Kerbin orbit, and you'll be in Kerbol orbit (you may want to adjust the orbit some time after ejection to make sure that you don't cross Kerbin again after several years). Unless there is an altitude requirement?

Are resupplies and crew changes not going to be massively awkward? It's presumably going to quickly get out of sync and end up on the opposite side of Kerbol from Kerbin, right?

Are resupplies and crew changes not going to be massively awkward? It's presumably going to quickly get out of sync and end up on the opposite side of Kerbol from Kerbin, right?

I dunno, never got that far in the game. I assume it'd be something like transfering to Eve or Duna in needing to wait for the right phase angle.

Is it WAD that with the latest update, you can accept several identical station contracts at once...and presumbly fulfill them all with the same station in order to make huge wads of cash?

Nope. Sorry about that. There was logic in to stop more contracts when the station was up, but I forgot to add the uniqueValue flag for the bodies. I've just put a fix in. If that doesn't work, I have another way of limiting them, but I'd rather not go down that route if I can help it, as it will severely limit the contracts available.

Also, I keep getting contract offers to put up a station in orbit around...Kerbol...This...err...sounds like an expensive, impractical suicide mission for the Kerbals involved, and likely a one way trip. Has anyone done this before/have any tips on making it practical?

As Spheniscine said, it's just like doing a normal transfer to a planet (albeit a bit more difficult as the target is smaller). Hohmann transfers around Kerbol aren't too difficult, you just have to think bigger. I.e. in a LKO transfer, you are aiming for within a couple of kilometers on your first transfer, before you get closer. Around Kerbol, you aim for more like a couple of thousand km before getting closer. It's a case of buyer beware really, if you don't want to do it, just reject them.

Having said that, you would struggle with the contracts as they are, as they require low orbit. Around Kerbol, that is 10Mm (and takes alot of Dv to get there). I always forget that a generic Celestial Body check will return Kerbol as a valid target.

Kerbin Space Station 3.0.1 Released!

Fixed multiple core contracts for each body.

Kerbol Station will no longer require low orbit. (Anything below Eeloos Ap will do)

Fixed minor textual bug in Core Mission

Fixed folder structure (please delete the Kerbin Space Station folder and reinstall if installing manually. CKAN will sort it out by itself)

Edited by severedsolo

I'm having an issue with the "repair power module" mission. I have an engineer on my space station, and it seems to detect this, but the timer never goes down when I send him on EVA. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it. I noticed some other people reported this issue earlier in the thread but I thought it was fixed - so any idea what the problem is now?

I'm having an issue with the "repair power module" mission. I have an engineer on my space station, and it seems to detect this, but the timer never goes down when I send him on EVA. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it. I noticed some other people reported this issue earlier in the thread but I thought it was fixed - so any idea what the problem is now?

Appears to be working ok for me. Have you downloaded the latest Contract Configurator? (1.7.7) - There was a bug with the duration parameter which nightingale just fixed.

If you have upgraded, but accepted the contract before you did, you may need to reject/reaccept the contract. Otherwise, I'd guess mod conflict. If you post a screenshot of your contract window, I might be able to help further.

Edited by severedsolo