[outdated] SETI-Greenhouse, for a realistic process, consider the BioMass mod

Yemo

That TAC mining mod was exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned a "Mulcherator" a few pages back. So, now from Ore I can produce LS oxygen and water, CO2 and waste water, and "biomass" (which is actually counted as Waste).

So I've got my base up and running on Minmus, mining Ore and Metalore. I've got more of the SETI greenhouses on that base than there are Kerbals, and the ISRU unit can produce excess WasteWater, CO2, and Waste. The greenhouses are all activated, as are their food-nutrients converter.

I didn't think it was all gonna work at first, but time warp 1000x showed the food increasing. Perfect. Now I can grow bases using local materials.

Edited by edrobotguy
fix my stupidity

I modified the TACLS mining cfg file so that the "biomass" converter produces Nutrients for the SETI greenhouse. I like this compromise for extended exploration or colonization missions, because food will last indefinitely on a planetary surface (as long as you have enough greenhouses and keep mining nutrients), but it won't last indefinitely on a vessel. Does anyone foresee a problem with this? Is it close to the long-term plan for "nutrients" in SETI? I love realistic life support, but Roverdude's MKS/OKS is way more complexity than I want to deal with.

I just started using the New Horizons planetary mod, and I'm trying to take a crew to the surface of Ernus, which requires a perfectly insane amount of delta V and many years of travel, so a multi-stage mission with ISRUs and resupply posts seems like the only route.

You don't need to modify the TAC mining config file. The "biomass" is counted as Waste, and the SETI greenhouses can convert Waste, Waste Water, and CO2 into Food, Water, and Oxygen. To get an indefinite food supply on a planetary surface, you'd just need 25% more greenhouses. For instance, an 8-kerbal base would need 4 greenhouses to produce 80% of the food requirements (for while you're in transit), but once you're on Ermus, you can build a fifth greenhouse and use TAC mining to produce the excess Waste, Waste Water, and CO2. That will give you an indefinite food supply. Build a sixth greenhouse to increase your food supply.

This is what I'm currently doing on my Minmus base. I have two 3-star engineers there now, but there is room for another ten Kerbals. However, when I sent the two Kerbals down there I had forgotten to include Food, Water, and Oxygen at the base, so they only had the supplies on their rover. They did however have six greenhouses to work with, and with all of them running for only two Kerbals it built up their supplies pretty fast. I had them build another two greenhouses and big TAC storage, and by the time more crew arrives the life support supplies will be built up considerably.

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/robot_guy/media/screenshot10.png.html

• 3 weeks later...
Want to add snacks? I am currently running IonCross as well.

I personally want to concentrate on USI and TAC at the most (I just do not have the time to keep track of others).

But if you could provide configs/mm statements for other life support mods, I would would be happy to just add them to the download and list you as a contributor.

@TAC LifeSupport mining: That is an interesting. In hindsight, I m glad to have chosen the 80%. Also keep in mind that the multiplier within the config is 1.02 (as far as I remember) per kerbal, so there should be a slight overproduction if you supply enough "waste" materials, if you have the specified number of kerbals on board.

• 2 weeks later...

"Also keep in mind that the multiplier within the config is 1.02 (as far as I remember) per kerbal, so there should be a slight overproduction if you supply enough "waste" materials, if you have the specified number of kerbals on board. "

That is indeed what is happening on my Minmus base. I have way more greenhouses than are required for the Kerbals at the base, and I'm using TACLS mining to supply excess Waste, Waste Water, and CO2. The big bottleneck is the CO2, as it requires a lot of ore to make (same with LS oxygen). Most of the greenhouses were built on Minmus using Extraplanetary Launchpads, and about a third of them are only converting food into nutrients until the nutrients gets full, after which they too will have the greenhouse part activated and be producing Food, Water, and Oxygen. The balance between the SETI greenhouse and TACLS-mining is damn near perfect. The player doesn't get instant results, but it doesn't take forever either.

• 3 months later...

First of all: This mod seems great and has the exact right difficulty for my taste. So I really would like to used it, but I'm a little frustrated. My long planned mission to Jool came to an abrupt end when my kerbals died of oxygen deprivation!

I'm using the greenhouse together with TAC LS and DID NOT change any consumption rates. So i built a spacecraft with the big SETI greenhouse and 3 kerbals on board, of course enough electric charge, solar panels, food+water and (small) buffers for the ressources as explained in the description for the greenhouse. Put that thing in high orbit, activated greenhouse and nutrient converter. And everything works like a charm, when the vessel is active!
But: As soon as I switch to another vessel or watch it from the Tracking Station, the TAC LS Monitor handles the ressources as if none were produced at all. Hence oxygen is all out after 2 days and my kerbals die. When I switch to the vessel then, the oxygen is in fact completely gone.

After fiddling around for quite some time, I still couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate some help =)

versions are:
KSP 1.0.5 32bit
TAC LS 0.11.2.1
SETI greenhouse 0.9.3
(+ a great bunch of other mods which hopefully don't have anything to do with the issue)

Thanks and merry christmas everyone!

Edited by cordilon
forgot to mention, I activated the converter and stuff.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2015 at 11:23 AM, cordilon said:

But: As soon as I switch to another vessel or watch it from the Tracking Station, the TAC LS Monitor handles the ressources as if none were produced at all. Hence oxygen is all out after 2 days and my kerbals die. When I switch to the vessel then, the oxygen is in fact completely gone.

After fiddling around for quite some time, I still couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate some help =)

You need the background processing mod.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/302/BackgroundProcessing

On 27.1.2016 at 3:09 AM, cordilon said:

@edrobotguy Huh... some things really can be solved easily. Thanks for the information =) Sadly the mod doesn't seem to be up to date.

Sorry about that, I was on hiatus and when I came back I just missed out on this thread, with all the forum migration and other stuff going on.

I'll move that mod to the main SETI thread so that does not happen again and work on an update, both in terms of the config as well as the information provided.

• 4 weeks later...

@Wardstone111, just one post above yours:

On 28.01.2016. at 4:22 PM, Yemo said:

'll move that mod to the main SETI thread so that does not happen again and work on an update, both in terms of the config as well as the information provided.

Also, what Stone Blue said, SETI Greenhouse is available on new SpaceDock site and I belive that CKAN also cached it with latest boot indexing.

EDIT:

Btw. Welcome to forums.

Edited by kcs123

8 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

@Wardstone111, just one post above yours:

On 1/28/2016 at 10:22 AM, Yemo said:

Sorry about that, I was on hiatus and when I came back I just missed out on this thread, with all the forum migration and other stuff going on.

I'll move that mod to the main SETI thread so that does not happen again and work on an update, both in terms of the config as well as the information provided.

I read that too, I guess its not clear to me either, if that means Yemo wont update THIS thread anymore, and everything will be on the main thread... ???

If thats the case, then maybe @Yemo should clarify that and link in the OP, and close THIS thread, so future questions for THIS mod get directed to the SETI thread... ???