Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

On a side note, if you want to post pictures and info about your plane you are working on. My advanced aircraft thread linked in my signature could benefit from your input. Besides it would be better to talk about this kind of stuff over there.

Well, here I am.

Been building an aircraft with which to test my rotating missile bays. The aircraft is nearly perfect, CoL right on the CoM, looks great.

(These pictures are big, I know. Imgur sucks at resizing.)

However . . .

dYpsGd2.jpg

. . .

vTX6eyz.jpg

. . . adding two vertical stabilizers causes the CoL to go whacko and point in slightly the wrong way. I don't know why this is, or how I can fix it. I'm using the B9 procedural wings. Help would be greatly appreciated.

MSn6rKm.jpg

As shown in the above photo. The jet itself is great and flies amazingly well!

5I02CWT.jpg

Well, here I am.

Been building an aircraft with which to test my rotating missile bays. The aircraft is nearly perfect, CoL right on the CoM, looks great.

(These pictures are big, I know. Imgur sucks at resizing.)

However . . .

http://i.imgur.com/dYpsGd2.jpg

. . .

http://i.imgur.com/vTX6eyz.jpg

. . . adding two vertical stabilizers causes the CoL to go whacko and point in slightly the wrong way. I don't know why this is, or how I can fix it. I'm using the B9 procedural wings. Help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/MSn6rKm.jpg

As shown in the above photo. The jet itself is great and flies amazingly well!

http://i.imgur.com/5I02CWT.jpg

Nice! I really like the split tail as well as the detail under the plane. First couple pictures look almost too simple, but I didn't notice all the detail you put under it. So do I see 3 bomb rotors? Looks like you've bested be my friend, keep it up.

Nice! I really like the split tail as well as the detail under the plane. First couple pictures look almost too simple, but I didn't notice all the detail you put under it. So do I see 3 bomb rotors? Looks like you've bested be my friend, keep it up.

The split tail is inspired by Sukhoi jets.

I like to keep things simple. One very wise man once said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

I hate designing wings (I have killer OCD,) so I kept them minimized by making the second, high(er) aspect ratio section of the wings all-moving so I wouldn't have to place elevons. They're like giant canards. That said, I enjoy making things a bit detailed. Each of the three rotors have eight Hellfire missiles in them; a total of 24 AGMs.

This thing totally destroys ground units. I pitted one of these jets against a huge Goalkeeper sea-whiz and the jet wrecked. The jet has some very good low-speed characteristics.

The center of lift being off because of the two vertical stabilizers is weird but has very little (but some) effect on the flight of the jet. I'd contact B9 or some of the devs about it but they're all too busy for this. No idea how to solve this aside from having only one vertical stabilizer but that'd drive me nucking futs.

Robzylla Requested cfg files for Spanners solid axle

I can't find my cfg files for Rollkage at the moment.

PART{

name = BeamAxleAlphaIR2

module = Part

author = Spanner

mesh = model.mu

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.219179, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.219179, -0.0, 0.0, 1.0

TechRequired = advancedMotors

entryCost = 6000

cost = 580

category = none

subcategory = 0

title = Beam Axle

manufacturer = SMSE Power Products Ltd. A division of SM Industries

description = The xxx2,When mounting ensure red faced drive flange faces forwards. Comes with combined power unit, retardation device and vector control, in short it goes, stops and steers and it beats walking

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.025

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.3

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 1

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 1200 // = 3600

crashTolerance = 200

bulkheadProfiles = srf

MODULE

{

name = ModuleWheel

hasMotor = true

resourceName = ElectricCharge

resourceConsumptionRate = 0.7

canSteer = true

controlAxisType = Forward

steeringModeType = AutomaticSteer

brakeTorque = 8

brakeSpeed = 1.5

impactTolerance = 3000

overSpeedDamage = 250

WHEEL

{

wheelName = wheel

wheelColliderName = wheelCollider

suspensionTransformName = suspensionTraverse

suspensionNeutralPointName = suspensionNeutralPoint

damagedObjectName = bustedwheel

rotateX = -1

rotateY = 0

rotateZ = 0

}

WHEEL

{

wheelName = wheel001

wheelColliderName = wheelCollider001

suspensionTransformName = suspensionTraverse001

suspensionNeutralPointName = suspensionNeutralPoint001

damagedObjectName = bustedwheel001

rotateX = -1

rotateY = 0

rotateZ = 0

}

steeringCurve

{

key = 0 20

key = 10 6

key = 30 2

}

torqueCurve

{

key = 2 8 0 0

key = 8 12 0 0

key = 20 0 0 0

}

}

MODULE

{

name = FXModuleConstrainPosition

matchRotation = true

matchPosition = false

CONSTRAINFX

{

targetName = steering

moversName = trackSteering

}

}

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = IR_RoboticRotatron

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS

{

mass = 0.125, 0.250, 0.500, 1

}

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS

{

name = MuMechToggle

}

}

MODULE

{

name = MuMechToggle

rotateJoint = True

rotateAxis = 0, 0, 1

keyRotateSpeed = 20.0

rotateLimits = True

//limitTweakable = True

rotateMin = -15

rotateMax = 15

//freeMoving = False

jointSpring = 8.0

jointDamping = 1.0

onActivate = False

rotateKey =

revRotateKey =

fixedMesh = Base

partMassOriginal = 0.3

servoName = BeamAxleAlphaIR

}

}

I guess with 50 mods, anythign is possible. Or impossible. My game cringes at the idea.

Lots of trial and error till I found the right way to run so many mods. And yes it is cheating but I only play on sandbox so eh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Jester I'm not sure what mod it is from, but your spirit bomber is missing a Heavy Strut Connector thing. I would really like to fly your bomber but I cant seem to find where that one piece is from

Hmm you are the second person to have an issue with that thing.... I'll see if I can just toss a new one together. Now the download is just the bomb bay, not the whole B-2. I ran into some major issues with it in 1.0x so I abandoned it for now. if you want the bomb bay I can see what I can do though.

Hmm you are the second person to have an issue with that thing.... I'll see if I can just toss a new one together. Now the download is just the bomb bay, not the whole B-2. I ran into some major issues with it in 1.0x so I abandoned it for now. if you want the bomb bay I can see what I can do though.

K thanks

Hey Jester I'm not sure what mod it is from, but your spirit bomber is missing a Heavy Strut Connector thing. I would really like to fly your bomber but I cant seem to find where that one piece is from

I updated the bomb bays with BD's JDAMs as well as (hopefully) the proper struts

Mods

IR

IR Rework

RKE Kanadarm

BD Armory

Cruise missiles: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_R0VJTzl2LVhYVkE/view?usp=sharing

Variety: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_MFpVbTl2VklFTk0/view?usp=sharing

I updated the bomb bays with BD's JDAMs as well as (hopefully) the proper struts

Mods

IR

IR Rework

RKE Kanadarm

BD Armory

Cruise missiles: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_R0VJTzl2LVhYVkE/view?usp=sharing

Variety: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_MFpVbTl2VklFTk0/view?usp=sharing

Hey thanks man, it all works now.

• 2 weeks later...
wait, do you use mods with ksp 64bit? as to get by the constant lack of RAM crashing? how?

In the OP there are spoiler tabs under "50+ mods and running strong!" Those spoiler tabs have a ton of info on how to setup KSP as well as get x64 running. Look thru there and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Great thread, V8jester!

Lately, I've been exclusively building replicas. I think there's no greater lesson in effective building than trying to perfectly recreate the shapes and proportions of real aircraft. Every build has taught me something new and my "bag of tricks" continues to grow.

Here are some of my recent builds.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Oh wow! The p-38 looks great! I love scale builds like that. Just sucks you need some substantial hardware when you need a couple hundred parts to pull it off. But it looks like you did a nice job of keeping the part count down as well. What is the part count on the P38 and the Corsair? Also do the wings work on your F14

Oh wow! The p-38 looks great! I love scale builds like that. Just sucks you need some substantial hardware when you need a couple hundred parts to pull it off. But it looks like you did a nice job of keeping the part count down as well. What is the part count on the P38 and the Corsair? Also do the wings work on your F14

Thanks! I'm not near my computer, but I believe both the P-38 and Corsair are under 100 parts.

The Tomcat's wings work but I built it back when I didn't know much about Infernal Robotics. I'll probably redo the sweep mechanism in the future.

If you run into symmetry issues hit me up. I've figured out a lot with the osprey and V-44. I now have limits assigned to all the rotors, so I can use action groups to toggle between flight modes. That way I can leave the HUD of for videos.

If you run into symmetry issues hit me up. I've figured out a lot with the osprey and V-44. I now have limits assigned to all the rotors, so I can use action groups to toggle between flight modes. That way I can leave the HUD of for videos.

I ended up working out the kinks when I built the folding wings on my Corsair. I just need to apply that knowledge to the Tomcat.

Pretty much mastered rotor dynamics and flight control (rotor articulation) on an "OMG" scale with the Mil V-12 project.

aMGkFpI.jpg

It's awesomely stable with none of the wobbling associated with my previous rotorcraft projects. Possibly because I used not one but two airliner wings to support the driveshafts.

Craft thread

Also, circular wings. Could double the wing area of your wing design while retaining the same wingspan, if you're insane enough!

TQpGHWE.jpg

Craft thread

Edited by pandoras kitten

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.