should you keep used probes?

If you just mean probes in space that can't do anything, no, there's no purpose for them, really.

Removing them will make the game run smoother, also.

I don't like to remove anything, so I tend to keep all of the junk in space. It's your choice, really. :wink:

I did that as well, but now my save is so full with rubbish that it takes forever to launch a rocket! :/

Well, you need a junk clean up program :D just like the Japanese are intending or planning to do :P

And that's what I plan to do later when orbit starting to become crowded with debris

I don't delete them in the map view, I retain some fuel and deorbit them into the nearest solid object. I make designs that don't leave debris.

My save is pretty clear TBH. Just part of the game for me.

Anything I land and don't need again, I either delete or lift off with again (and probably just smash into the ground). Satellites, I'll usually try to return without parachutes unless I'm too low on fuel for that.

I tend to delete stuff floating around in space to de clutter and help things run smoother. Landed probes can be worth keeping though, as they provide a coordinate reference point for any future missions. That can help enormously with finding the right landing area.

Im fond of leaving them up there.

Even if its a spent sample probe (xmitted its data) with no reusable experiments, i'll tend to leave it hanging around until my lab+claw can come along and reset it. I have a number of 'scrapper' designs based around the claw that deorbit or otherwise reposition/repurpose stuff.

Because money.

I set the max debris to 0. Considering fairly heavy modded game, 4gb max ram(in reality closer to 3.2-3.5) cause of 32 bit system, why clutter the game with stuff I dont need. auto cleanup makes game run smoother :) Apart from debris I also tend to clean up un-needed probes. Delete from tracking station or send on collision course and forget about them

Send Kerbals out on pilgrimages to the first robotic lander on Duna or somesuch.

http://www.xkcd.com/1504/

be carefull with that :P

By right clicking the command pod and selecting "rename vessel", you can set a vessel ad debris. It will eventually be deleted unless your max debris is set to unlimited. You won't be able to see it in the tracking station unless you choose to show debris, once you select it though it's still perfectly useable. I usually find it to be a nice compromise.

I had a huge amount of satellites in orbit of every body in Kerbin's sphere of influence (20-25) and never really experienced any game-changing issues, only the bad taste in my mouth for not being able to squeeze every little bit of use that I could for the funds, I think it's a matter of preference, if you prefer clean, delete them, if you want to remember the good times, keep them!

Firstly, even when all science is farmed, you may use em as relays for RemoteTech.

Secondly, you can capture them with grappler (or USI probe-sized grappler) and return to Kerbin for refunds.

Thirdly, if there is no profitable way of return (launching a return-tug to outer planets is costy), you may disassemble em into useful resources with MKS/OKS in situ.

In my current career game, I equip most satellites that have precious scientific equipment with DR heatshields and parachutes for self-return. Proves to be very money-effective, even though I need a bit bigger launchers and a bit heavier upper stages.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.