What Are Things You've Heard That Made You Facepalm?

michaelsteele3

World of warcraft:

A random player told to me:

"let me explain you the STRAT you NoOb !!!"

Me think:

(did this guy know the "strat" he is talking about , that it's me and my pal that shared it on the internet to explain the basic for naabs ? ... it happen all the time so boring that they're rarely able to read between the line of the fights deep mechanics and auto scale and adapt to others teamates skill level, situations & original groups configuration, nope, no way 95% of time they badly need to dumbly apply THE strat, like if there is only one ... and sadly without really understanding the fights choreographies for what they worth)

this made me /facepalm to death ... so many time ... so many time ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
giggles ® ® ®

Niger is the river, not the country. The country is Nigeria. :)

Facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

And the racial slur is spelled differently anyways.....I'm seriously questioning the reasoning of that teacher...

Not a teacher. Just a quiz night at someones house.

school is a long long time ago.

Some serious facepalming here the other day. I'm studying electronics engineering and we were in the PLC lab when one of my co-students asked me a few "how to"s. Bear in mind now, the computers in the lab are all hooked up to the internet. He asked about a timer function in the PLC programming environment and I asked if he had looked in the help file for the software. He hadn't. He did not even know where to find the help file, the one accessed by clicking "help" on the toolbar. I asked if he had looked around on the internet. He hadn't. He never considered the internet to be of any use in finding info. In fact, he doesn't think the ability to find info is a relevant ability for engineers to have. No wonder we have jokes about engineers.

I am seriously wondering what makes the guy think he made the right choice when applying for engineering studies.

Not facepalm, but certainly confusing.

Teacher asks our store for a "USB to HDMI cable". As it's technology, and not everyone knows everything, we are polite and say "sorry, they don't exist, as it's a different format. We do/other places do sell converters, but they are about the same cost as a new device. Which device do you have, does it have VGA/HDMI? We can help you find the correct cable."

They answer "No, it's definitely USB to HDMI. I had one I used every day from my laptop to the school projector. I lost it/left it at home and need a new one".

"Oh." We say, now having a little more info, but still rather confused as to what they need. "Do you mean VGA to HDMI? Or micro/mini HDMI to normal HDMI? As they certainly do not and have never made a USB to HDMI cable."

They still reply with "No, I do have one, I just need another."

To which we decide to get out examples and photos. As I consider it possibly being a mini/micro DVI or a firewire/displayport.

"No, it looks exactly like the USB you showed me, not those other ones." They insisted.

Now, we do not laugh at people like that usually, as we don't expect everyone to know everything. Even we don't know every cable to ever exist. But when someone says something that's impossible, and insists it's true, we might giggle a little and wonder if they really wanted a USB type B connector, but insisted we were wrong when we offered one (I finally guess it was a software driven projector, not a display driven, eg https://youtu.be/AxMAZYJABrM ).

They never came back in, so I don't know if they ever did find the right cable.

Edited by Technical Ben

Not facepalm, but certainly confusing.

Teacher asks our store for a "USB to HDMI cable". As it's technology, and not everyone knows everything, we are polite and say "sorry, they don't exist, as it's a different format. We do/other places do sell converters, but they are about the same cost as a new device. Which device do you have, does it have VGA/HDMI? We can help you find the correct cable."

They answer "No, it's definitely USB to HDMI. I had one I used every day from my laptop to the school projector. I lost it/left it at home and need a new one".

"Oh." We say, now having a little more info, but still rather confused as to what they need. "Do you mean VGA to HDMI? Or micro/mini HDMI to normal HDMI? As they certainly do not and have never made a USB to HDMI cable."

They still reply with "No, I do have one, I just need another."

To which we decide to get out examples and photos. As I consider it possibly being a mini/micro DVI or a firewire/displayport.

"No, it looks exactly like the USB you showed me, not those other ones." They insisted.

Now, we do not laugh at people like that usually, as we don't expect everyone to know everything. Even we don't know every cable to ever exist. But when someone says something that's impossible, and insists it's true, we might giggle a little and wonder if they really wanted a USB type B connector, but insisted we were wrong when we offered one (I finally guess it was a software driven projector, not a display driven, eg https://youtu.be/AxMAZYJABrM ).

They never came back in, so I don't know if they ever did find the right cable.

should have sold her this cable :

gn8XwjC.jpg?fb

What the heck would you use such a cable for anyways? :confused:

Well, besides a projector, but that would more properly be VGA to HDMI, VGA or HDMI extender...

for a laptop with no HDMI or VGA output, like my old one.

"Seriously?! There is a trans-Atlantic highway!?" - a girl I didn't marry.

- - - Updated - - -

"Brownie, you're doing one heck of a job!" - G. H. W. Bush on how the head of FEMA was responding to Hurricane Katrina victims.

Edited by DarkGravity

Not the most idiotic phrase i heard, but one of the first i heard myself:

I was at the London Science Museum one day (My dream come true!) At the Space Exhibit. There, a series of models of certain rockets was displayed - The Space Shuttle, Ariane 5, Buran, Saturn V- A lot. I heard a mother say to her child; "Look, all of the spaceships that went to the Moon!"

To be honest, I don't really blame her - It's not too bad of a mistake anyways, and it's not too contrary to popular belief.

Not the most idiotic phrase i heard, but one of the first i heard myself:

I was at the London Science Museum one day (My dream come true!) At the Space Exhibit. There, a series of models of certain rockets was displayed - The Space Shuttle, Ariane 5, Buran, Saturn V- A lot. I heard a mother say to her child; "Look, all of the spaceships that went to the Moon!"

To be honest, I don't really blame her - It's not too bad of a mistake anyways, and it's not too contrary to popular belief.

She was 25% correct... :P