1.1.2 Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics 2.0.2

sirkut

Hello,

This mod looks very cool, but could you please clarify: in the current version, is it still needed to add an additional mod on top of it ("rework") ? This seems optional from the description, but I think someone in this thread had problems that were solved by using the extension.

Thanks !

The parts in this mod are mainly intended as examples for other modders to use to create their own versions. As such there are a few issues with them which aren't possible to update (e.g the hinge has broken symmetry). The rework adds in a bunch of new and replacement parts so is recommended to get the most out of IR, but certainly not required. Eventually the current IR parts will be retired in favour of the rework, but there's not ETA on this.

Thanks for the clarification. So I need a decent "parts pack" to enjoy the experience. Are there any that are as popular as the "rework" one ?

There's this mod which adds a selection of parts for making a Kanadarm (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112881), but the Rework is really the only all-encompassing pack that's being designed to allow for anything. I'm on a bit of a hiatus from modding at the moment though, so some of the cool stuff in the Utility Pack hasn't been updated to 1.0.x yet.

There's this mod which adds a selection of parts for making a Kanadarm (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112881), but the Rework is really the only all-encompassing pack that's being designed to allow for anything. I'm on a bit of a hiatus from modding at the moment though, so some of the cool stuff in the Utility Pack hasn't been updated to 1.0.x yet.

The arm looks nice but I won't bother with an additional mod just for it (for now).

Sorry, I was understanding, until your last sentence :) How does the "Utility Pack" relate to the base of Infernal robotics, or to the "rework pack" ?

The utility pack contains the more specific parts in the Rework pack (a robot foot, for example).

- - - Updated - - -

So is that not ending now with the 1.0.3 release?

Edited by wisnoskij

The arm looks nice but I won't bother with an additional mod just for it (for now).

Sorry, I was understanding, until your last sentence :) How does the "Utility Pack" relate to the base of Infernal robotics, or to the "rework pack" ?

If you go to the Model Rework thread you'll see that the parts are broken down in to 3 separate packs, giving you a choice about how many parts you want to install. The third one (the Utility Pack) contains cool stuff like active struts, magnets, surface samplers and wheels, which aren't specifically robotic but work very well with the rest of the parts. It's this pack that doesn't work with KSP 1.0.x, the other two are fine.

So is that not ending now with the 1.0.3 release?

I WAS waiting for 1.0.3 to arrive before updating my mod, but unfortunately real life has got in the way so I'm having a bit of a longer break from the mod now until I have more spare time again. Read here for my post on the matter.

I have no idea if this is a problem on the mod's side, or outdated information in CKAN, but when trying to install via CKAN, it tries to download:

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases/download/v0.21/IR_v0.21.zip

which is kind of broken (404/{"error":"Not Found"}).

Let me know if I should open a github issue in either side. Thanks !

I have no idea if this is a problem on the mod's side, or outdated information in CKAN, but when trying to install via CKAN, it tries to download:

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases/download/v0.21/IR_v0.21.zip

which is kind of broken (404/{"error":"Not Found"}).

Let me know if I should open a github issue in either side. Thanks !

Open a git issue with them. We did not add Infernal Robotics to CKAN (to my knowledge), so someone else must have done so.

I checked with the CKAN guys, they were really nice. Someone added IR into CKAN by referencing the KerbalStuff page. From there, CKAN is supposed to automatically update itself. However, on KerbalStuff, IR is declared to work with KSP 1.0.2 only, and ckan does not want to install it for KSP 1.0.4.

Would you mind updating the compatibility on Kerbalstuff to 1.0.4 ?

I checked with the CKAN guys, they were really nice. Someone added IR into CKAN by referencing the KerbalStuff page. From there, CKAN is supposed to automatically update itself. However, on KerbalStuff, IR is declared to work with KSP 1.0.2 only, and ckan does not want to install it for KSP 1.0.4.

Would you mind updating the compatibility on Kerbalstuff to 1.0.4 ?

There's going to be a new version of IR coming out soon, so not much point updating the compatibility.

I'm getting problems with overheating on my space station, to be exact with my robotic arm attached to it.

The robotic parts have a really high Cond Flux values like -5000 to -20000 or very high values. This causes my robotic arm to overheat very fast.

I'm using the old robotic parts and NOT the rework.

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nkxij928pnpppmj/AAC6ivpE94yJB6CjJKFGK-qla?dl=0

I'm using quite a lot of mods, if you need a list I will post it here.

There's going to be a new version of IR coming out soon, so not much point updating the compatibility.

I don't know how soon, or how you value that, but having the mod available through CKAN would make life easier for some (potential)users in the meantime (I'm not talking for myself, as I now have learned enough to install manually with "old" compatibility info).

I don't know how soon, or how you value that, but having the mod available through CKAN would make life easier for some (potential)users in the meantime (I'm not talking for myself, as I now have learned enough to install manually with "old" compatibility info).

We are waiting for KSPAPIExtensions to update to 1.0.4 and we'll post the update to usual places (KS, Curse, Github). How CKAN handles current version is entirely out of the scope of this thread.

The IR toolbar (not the stock one) tool in the VAB doesn't open when I click on it. Is that the toolbar mod's fault, or IR's? I'm using 1.0.4 if that helps.

Edited by hieywiey

@hieywiey

I believe you have to add IR parts to your vessel before you can open the IR window.

@Perry Apsis

You could put KAS winches + attached magnet/grabber on your IR arms. Or use the magnets and grabbers without a winch.

But watch out when using winches in space! It's very difficult to not accidentally spin out of control.

I think the Kraken attack when using docking ports the wrong way is a limitation of the game engine. There are other mods like USI Kolonization Systems which suffer from similar circumstances.

It seems like much of what I'd like to be doing with IR ends up violating the "Do not attach IR parts directly (or indirectly) to docking ports." Are there any thoughts about a fix for that?

The biggest problem is that IR parts go haywire after docking.

If you dock a vessel with IR parts to another vessel, you simply shouldn't use the IR parts untill you undocked the vessel again. So the vessel has to return to its original state again before using IR components, or bad things happen.

Similarly, if you build a ship with two segments and use dockingports to connect the two segments, expecting the two to run autonomously from eachother after "undocking", then you shouldn't use any IR parts after seperating them. Again, bad things will happen to at least one of the two.

The cause of this is supposedly that the root of the vessels change after docking (seperately, they have a root each, docked together, they have only 1 root, so the rootpart which is used by IR disappeared)

I just updated to 1.0.4 but I will not even open KSP, not even to see if the update works till I see IR update for 1.0.4 :D I use this mod so much that I can no longer imagine playing KSP without it "Deus ex IR"

God's speed guys.

Edited by Fuel

I just updated to 1.0.4 but I will not even open KSP, not even to see if the update works till I see IR update for 1.0.4 :D I use this mod so much that I can no longer imagine playing KSP without it "Deus ex IR"

God's speed guys.

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases/tag/v0.21.3

Or you can wait for KS and Curse release, but sirkut is a bit busy

The cause of this is supposedly that the root of the vessels change after docking (seperately, they have a root each, docked together, they have only 1 root, so the rootpart which is used by IR disappeared)

Wouldn't it be possible to assign the new rootpart to the IR parts?

@GrafZahl

The problem is IR parts need to be attached in a specific way on a vessel. The model rework mod shows it in an easy way.

The small arrows show where the base of that part is. If you dock two crafts the root part of the vessel can change. If you got into a situation like I built in this screenshot one of the joints will be oriented the wrong way and thus not work correctly anymore.

Sure you could 'simply' rotate the joint in the right orientation and reattach it to the vessel in the plugin. But it's very likely to provoke the kraken that way.

Ag11GdK.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.