Wait, WHAT? (Fairings)

Frybert

So the new fairings don't weigh anything at all and the fairing base weighs (literately) a ton? Really?

ETA:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116910-Am-I-missing-something-or-stock-fairings-are-massless

ETA 2:

Ok so according to the Devs the mass of the fairing is supposed to be applied to the mass of the base. This is not occurring either.

ETA3: Fixed.

Edited by Frybert

This is craziness. How could this have been missed? I certainly recall them talking beforehand about how people could use giant fairings, but they'd be taking a huge hit from the mass penalty.

Hrm. I mean, the Falcon 9 fairing weighs something like 2-4 metric tons, so the time at which you jettison a payload fairing should be fairly important - not so soon that drag wrecks your ship, but not so late you lose a lot of performance from the extra mass.

actually i think that the fairings DO weigh something depending on their size, but ALL the mass is contained in the base !

having a smaller fairing is better, lighter, but once you jettison it the base stays in place, ALONG WITH THE MASS

wow! did we get a wrong copy of early expirimental or were we just right for thinking squad couldnt deal with all the bugs and changes with a small QA and Exp. teams? i mean we arent forgiving but these are probably stuff that others will but still they should have done a 0.95

actually i think that the fairings DO weigh something depending on their size, but ALL the mass is contained in the base !

having a smaller fairing is better, lighter, but once you jettison it the base stays in place, ALONG WITH THE MASS

Ah yes. The weight of the base changes with the size of the fairings, but doesn't go down after jettison.

Fairings are massless by design... http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116910-Am-I-missing-something-or-stock-fairings-are-massless :(

I really can't get why it's so.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes. The weight of the base changes with the size of the fairings, but doesn't go down after jettison.

Nope, the mass of fairings isn't added to the base.

Edited by ddenis

So... the only way to use stock fairings well would be to enclose your payload AND orbital insertion stage inside the fairing so that the fairing base can be dumped as soon as possible? That's going to be a difficult design to optimize.

So... the only way to use stock fairings well would be to enclose your payload AND orbital insertion stage inside the fairing so that the fairing base can be dumped as soon as possible? That's going to be a difficult design to optimize.

Well, I guess that's what the Atlas V 5XX does, at least.

so what is the purpose of heaving less fairings?

this is ridiculous! why then have fairing sizes at all?

The "mass" of the fairings probably counts towards the mass limit of the VHB or Launch Pad. Without upgrading the buildings you might be unable to fit fairings around a large payload.

But fairings do weigh something... I just checked it out...

How have you checked? Don't trust everything that's written in the engineering report. :)

Moderator's answer:

The fairing panels don't have mass by design, only the bases, and if this is the worst fail in 1.0 then Squad did pretty good :)

pretty sure this isnt the worst fail in 1.0.....

Hey, i still think that ksp 1.0 is awesome btw, im criticizing, and i think many things are wrong but i love it overall !

Vulcan does this three stage where first is SRB, second stage is inside fairing.

I remember seeing streamers pointing out that fairings actually weight depending on how you biuld them, and it was showing all the numbers and such. Might be a bug?

The GUI when you're building the fairing says it weighs more, but the actual weight doesn't change.