Helpful 1.0 observations

GoSlash27

Fins are a must for spindle rockets, especially in early career.

(You start out with basic fins now, yay!)

start your career game like so:

launch a mk1 command pod (on its own)

do a crew report

do a eva report from the ladder.

store experiments (right click on the pod while near it)

eva report standing on the pad

store experiments

run over to any other ksc mini biome (the conveyor way is nearest) and do a eva report

get back in the pod.

recover vessel.

get basic rocketry and engineering 101. (you should have 11.9 science)

good luck.

--

edit:

setting min pressure on chutes to .3 is just right to be able to activate them above the atmo.

Edited by icantmakemodels

Not sure what's going on, but I think my Kerbals ate too many tacos. Every time I do EVA they let one rip, sometimes they even fly off. Clean 1.0.2 on Windows.

They aren't clipping that antenna you have on the pod for no reason are they?

This is difficult to explain, but il try my best. When you have a pilot and are using the extra nav modes, (points at waypoint, point normal etc) these only work when your relative velocity is over 1.0 m/s. I nearly always dock by having one craft facing normal and one facing anti normal (so they don't change as you orbit) but once my speed is below 1.0 relative to the target I can only choose normal sas. If I was to change my nav all mode to orbit, then the options would come back. I don't think this is a bug and I hope I've explained it well enough.

…but once my speed is below 1.0 relative to the target I can only choose normal sas. If I was to change my nav all mode to orbit, then the options would come back. I don't think this is a bug and I hope I've explained it well enough.

Imagine you are descending to mun, gently reducing speed to soft touchdown… and then a meter above surface you give a bit too much thrust and instead of 2.5m/s fall you get 0.01m/s rise. Can you see it coming?

Fairing shape matters! A well-shaped fairing is much more important than saving some fairing weight for a blunted fairing. Pointy is the way to go, and that is true for the lower (growing) part as well.

Experiment setup: empty fairing, simple SRB throttled to 45% max thrust to get an initial TWR of about 1.7. SAS on, launch.

orlOi3f.png

from left to right:

#1: mass 7.25t, max height 13.455m

#2: mass 7.29t, max height 13.970m

#3: mass 7.75t, max height 16.545m

#4: mass 8.15t, max height 16.295m

from that point on, the additional mass really starts to hurt, but you get the idea.

might be an interesting challenge for the challenge forum: built the best fairing for a given launcher, while requiring to use the max fairing diameter at least for a short section.

Fairing shape matters!

Yes, I did some testing on that and got similar results to yours. I tried one example in which the height-to-radius ratio of the conical part was 1:1 (half cone angle of 45o), and another example in which the ratio was 2:1 (half cone angle of 26.565o). My rocket's drag coefficient was about 20% less using the higher ratio (i.e. pointier).

Today this happened:

pUEvlgil.png?1

This looks like an exploit, but beware! As I discovered, while you can store massive quantities of data by processing a bunch of experiments at once, as soon as you begin research the lab cuts it off at 500, meaning all the "extra" data is lost, plus it can no longer be processed so the potential data from those experiments is effectively wasted.

^ This. It is no longer viable to have parachutes all open at 50m, as they will take too long to reach full effect and the ship will smack into the ground before they open all the way.

I actually menaged to pull off something like this a few times. They were set on 500m but I opened them at about 100m. Every single time the capsule survived but it was a hell of a ride. Good thing Valentina was on board. Other crew members would sure get grumpy after a series of such agressive landings.

1.0 seems to have revealed a lot of confusion that was present in the community on what to call various types of spaceship, so here's a helpful diagram (really it applies to everything, but I thought people would be most likely to see it here):

l03WwUv.png

Don't know if this has been said before/is obvious, but I'm flying a cargo plane to the North Pole and found this:

-The colder the air, the lower the speed of sound (at least that's what seems to be happening). So if you have a plane flying a constant speed (in m/s, not mach) and altitude going north/south, the planes mach number will actually be going up as the air gets colder further from the equator. By adjusting speed to keep a constant mach you can actually geta quite noticeable fuel saving.

-Control surfaces make more drag the more they are deflected. So if SAS needs a big input to keep your plane steady, it's making more drag. But by pumping fuel forward and back to shift the CoM you can reduce the control surface input needed to stay steady and get a small but noticeable drag reduction and fuel saving.

-Normally physicless/negligibly draggy surface attached mod parts, like the BDArmory autopilots and Flag Decals flags, now create drag, and quite a bit of it, enough to push a craft normally supersonic at sea level down to subsonic.

The atmosphere is much thicker in 1.0.2 making fairings a must and winglets on upper stages necessary!

- - - Updated - - -

The thicker atmosphere from 1.0.2 has made finns necessary on all atmospheric stages (from my observations). Fairings are now a must for non-aerodynamic payloads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.