Progress in trouble

Kryten

New update: activation of manual TORU control system failed at 00:50 UTC pass. New data from USSTRATCOM (finally reliable) (188 x 260 km – Inclination: 51.65 deg) suggest that Progress has at least a week before it orbit finally decays, and not a few hours. The orbit parameters suggest a third stage issue with the Soyuz launcher: "It is plausible that issues emerged late in the third stage burn of the Soyuz leading up to a botched separation of the Progress spacecraft, sending the spacecraft into a tumble or causing a re-contact between the Progress and the Block I stage, presumably due to residual thrust after an improper engine shutdown and so damaging equipment on the spacecraft leading up to the loss of communications and possibly upsetting the attitude control system of the craft - explaining a later onset of the spinning motion."

I must note, that this launch is something special, because it is second Progress launch on Soyuz 2-1a. The main difference between Soyuz 2-1a (launcher involved) and Soyuz FG (launcher, used for Soyuz spacecraft) is in flight computer - FG uses old and proved analog version, 2-1a uses new digital control system.

True, however Progress M-25M was a complete success.

- - - Updated - - -

MAJOR UPDATE: "the JSpOC has observed 44 pieces of debris in the vicinity of the resupply vehicle and its upper stage rocket body, however, it cannot confirm at this time if the debris is from the rocket body or vehicle itself" (link), suggest an energetic event.

Aaaaand it's going down: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8513021/russian-spacecraft-out-of-controll

Roscosmos has not officially admitted it unrecoverable at this point, but it's very much pointing towards it. Insider info says it's already starting to suffer from atmospheric drag and may come down as early as May 7th.

Edited by Streetwind

You're a jerk, sir, and made me mad until I tried to quote you.

;)

Then put your hidden text as visible if you're "not serious."

It was intended as a joke :)

I usually use that trick with "sarcasm", maybe I should have used "JOKING!" :D

if it was visible I would have missed all the fun ;)

edit

also, note that I put a black dot at the end that was giving away the presence of text there...

Aaaaand it's going down: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8513021/russian-spacecraft-out-of-controll

Roscosmos has not officially admitted it unrecoverable at this point, but it's very much pointing towards it. Insider info says it's already starting to suffer from atmospheric drag and may come down as early as May 7th.

Ooo I wonder if we'll get to fine Russia this time!

KBKhA, the producers of the third stage engine, are saying that the stage was burning too long due to a control system issue. As Progress separation is done on a simple timer, this would lead to it attempting to separate from a a still-burning stage and being shunted about by it.

KBKhA, the producers of the third stage engine, are saying that the stage was burning too long due to a control system issue. As Progress separation is done on a simple timer, this would lead to it attempting to separate from a a still-burning stage and being shunted about by it.

Sounds like the new craft design is causing trouble.

Roscosmos said that they saw signs of depresurizzation in the propulsion system of the Progress. Telemetry data looked fine until 1.5 seconds after separation.

Not "after" but "before" separation: "Úþüðрþò þтüõтøû, чтþ тõûõüõтрøѠѠúþрðñûѠÿрþÿðûð ÷ð ÿþûтþры ÑÂõúуýôы ôþ õóþ þтôõûõýøѠþт рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠ"áþю÷-2.1ð". "ÃلĄÂú ø ÿþûõт рðúõты úþÑÂüøчõÑÂúþóþ ýð÷ýðчõýøѠÿрþхþôøû ò штðтýþü рõöøüõ, þôýðúþ ÷ð ÿþûтþры ÑÂõúуýôы ôþ рðÑÂчõтýþóþ òрõüõýø þтôõûõýøѠúþрðñûѠþт трõтьõù ÑÂтуÿõýø ÷ðфøúÑÂøрþòðýþ ÿрþÿðôðýøõ тõûõüõтрøчõÑÂúþù øýфþрüðцøø. ßрø ÑÂтþü òÿþÑÂûõôÑÂтòøø ñыûþ уÑÂтðýþòûõýþ, чтþ þтôõûõýøõ трðýÑÂÿþртýþóþ óру÷þòþóþ úþрðñûѠÿрþшûþ ÑÂòþõòрõüõýýþ", - ÑÂúð÷ðû óûðòð àþÑÂúþÑÂüþÑÂð.

Not "after" but "before" separation: "Úþüðрþò þтüõтøû, чтþ тõûõüõтрøѠѠúþрðñûѠÿрþÿðûð ÷ð ÿþûтþры ÑÂõúуýôы ôþ õóþ þтôõûõýøѠþт рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠ"áþю÷-2.1ð". "ÃلĄÂú ø ÿþûõт рðúõты úþÑÂüøчõÑÂúþóþ ýð÷ýðчõýøѠÿрþхþôøû ò штðтýþü рõöøüõ, þôýðúþ ÷ð ÿþûтþры ÑÂõúуýôы ôþ рðÑÂчõтýþóþ òрõüõýø þтôõûõýøѠúþрðñûѠþт трõтьõù ÑÂтуÿõýø ÷ðфøúÑÂøрþòðýþ ÿрþÿðôðýøõ тõûõüõтрøчõÑÂúþù øýфþрüðцøø. ßрø ÑÂтþü òÿþÑÂûõôÑÂтòøø ñыûþ уÑÂтðýþòûõýþ, чтþ þтôõûõýøõ трðýÑÂÿþртýþóþ óру÷þòþóþ úþрðñûѠÿрþшûþ ÑÂòþõòрõüõýýþ", - ÑÂúð÷ðû óûðòð àþÑÂúþÑÂüþÑÂð.

oh interesing. thanks for the correction!

In the meanwhile, Soyuz third stage has reentered in Earth's atmosphere. source

"Rotational spin."

Is there some other kind of spin he's differentiating it from? (Serious question. Common usage would say 'no', but he seems to be using it as a technical term?)

That is an odd way to put "arse over tea kettle."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.