We're working on 1.0.1

KasperVld

Is KSP 1.0 even using the new Unity? I really don't understand how a developer can release a game without fixing something so critical! Even if they cannot fix it I cannot warrant a 1.0 release until it was fixed for a game like this. what happens to all those people who just bought KSP for the first time and try to build that awesome base? Uh oh after all those hours he finds out that it don't matter that he has 16 gig ram he's NOT BUILDING HIS BASE! lol 6fps will make people go nuts and call for their money back!

Is KSP 1.0 even using the new Unity?

No. Unity 5.0 has only just come out, and it takes weeks to read and understand the differences between the old product and the new product, and months to adapt code to work with it. Porting to Unity 5.0 is a very long-term project, and I will be surprised if we see it finished in 2015 -- and that assumes that 5.0 doesn't have even worse bugs than previous version! Yes, that does happen -- a brand-new, massively upgraded version of an existing product comes out, and along with all the lovely new bells and whistles there's a bucket-load of lovely new bugs to go with them.

So don't hold your breath.

And as so many people have said all over the forum, the 64-bit problem is all up to Unity, and not something Squad can fix.

No. Unity 5.0 has only just come out, and it takes weeks to read and understand the differences between the old product and the new product, and months to adapt code to work with it. Porting to Unity 5.0 is a very long-term project, and I will be surprised if we see it finished in 2015 -- and that assumes that 5.0 doesn't have even worse bugs than previous version! Yes, that does happen -- a brand-new, massively upgraded version of an existing product comes out, and along with all the lovely new bells and whistles there's a bucket-load of lovely new bugs to go with them.

And as so many people have said all over the forum, the 64-bit problem is all up to Unity, and not something Squad can fix.

Most of what you said is true, about the upgrade being a big project and taking time and resources. Likewise, there is a chance that there are new bugs in Unity 5. Nevertheless, Unity 5 is out there and massive amounts of developers are using it, and doing amazing things with it.

Yes, the Win64 problems were caused by the Unity 4 engine issues. However, Unity has address those issues, and many others, and has released a new and updated version. Therefore, in now falls to Squad to update its engine so that these limitations and bugs are fixed. You can't pass the problem off to Unity anymore. They've done their part, now its time for Squad to do theirs.

Being a game developer that also transitioned from Unity 4 to 5, I have to say it does not take that much effort. Most of the conversion is automatic - Unity's upgrader script handles it. What remains isn't all that difficult to fix manually.

All Squad needs to do is - just try. Fork the project and upgrade the forked project to 5, see how much fixing is necessary.

The main reason why they didn't go unity 5 is because it was released so close to 1.0s release date that adding it in would just create delays. They did say that they would do it after 1.0s release

I don't know how extensively those other game devs modded their installation of Unity.

I seem to recall that Squad... well. I'm certain any Unity developer would run away screaming and sobbing with all the mad hacks implemented.

If I recall correctly.

It's still speed. I never read anywhere surface speed record. I saw speed. Maybe surface was there, but if not, they really need to specify.

Oh and I actually did set mine to surface speed and it still didn't work.

Speed is always relative to something, you could complain that you're not getting all the records instantly due to the speed relative to Kerbol.

I don't know how extensively those other game devs modded their installation of Unity.

I seem to recall that Squad... well. I'm certain any Unity developer would run away screaming and sobbing with all the mad hacks implemented.

If I recall correctly.

Agreed. By its very nature KSP stretches the game engine to its limits. Very few engines are designed to deal with the tremendous distances present in KSP, nor do many games model vehicles made of multiple interconnected parts for which physics must be calculated. It's not surprising that workarounds have had to be used, and that upgrading the engine for KSP might be more complex than upgrading for more conventional games.

I was hoping this update would be out by the end of today so I would advance my space program over the weekend. The overheating on that nuclear engine is taxing my launch costs by having to use other engines for deep-space missions.

I was hoping this update would be out by the end of today so I would advance my space program over the weekend. The overheating on that nuclear engine is taxing my launch costs by having to use other engines for deep-space missions.

I just got a pop-up message from Steam saying that KSP 1.0.1 is now out, so hopefully that's gotten addressed...