PCGamer Review KSP!

I'll admit I was scared the review would be by some newbie who wouldn't be willing to put in the effort to learn how to play. So glad that didn't happen.

That will come later. People forget that KSP isn't currently owned by everyone who will ever own it. Equally one should expect responses from established reviewers who may have spent just a few hours in the game. To me, that is equally important.

Because it will capture not only (to be fair) partly biased articles that are clouded to some degree by nostalgia, but a gamer's first experiences and how they translate from being entirely unaware of how the Kerbal's work, to having some kind of success. Not everyone that may play KSP tomorrow, has the game in their collection, today.

As for the reviewer's penchant for using Minecraft as a comparison; it's entirely different yes, however some core mechanics are similar, in that it's a form of lego-like construction and exploration.

- - - Updated - - -

That's nice. It's just too bad that a percentage score is the most meaningless metric in game reviews. 96% of what? How do you arrive at that number? Why not 97%?

It's a result. A metric. Made up. From arbitrary values. Be it a percentage, a number, a fraction or a picture of three people holding up signs. Looking for logic, in the illogical, expecting statistically relevant data from a single persons review, is a fairly pointless exercise.

However, the human race, as a whole, seems a bit pre-occupied and indeed is entirely geared to 'put things in boxes'. So they can define, quantify and most importantly 'rate' or 'value' something. Because that is how we are taught to look at the world. Ironically this box preoccupation has little to do with science and logic. Thus, a number is invented, in order to quantify.

Whether it's scientifically valid, is almost never a consideration. People generally don't care. Something that gets ninety percent or so, must be good, right? I doubt you'll find many will question much beyond that. :)

Edited by kofeyh

Ok true, however I think that in the context of giving something a score saying that you rate it 96/100 makes more sense to people than simply saying 96% though that may be me being pedantic. I mean I knew what I ment.

I think that most people able to play KSP to at least a basic level are able to understand this. 96% is less typing also. :)

Holy crap that's a high score.

However, the human race, as a whole, seems a bit pre-occupied and indeed is entirely geared to 'put things in boxes'.

Here's my issue. Some reviewers at least break up the box into several boxes like:

• Graphics
  • SFX
  • Music
  • Stability
  • Pacing/Progression
  • Originality
  • Modability
  • Replay value
  • etc.

This article finally put into words why I don't give up in frustration:

Make no mistake, whatever you choose to do, KSP is a difficult game. It's demanding from the very start, and does little to handhold you through what are, at times, some complex concepts. Its challenge is very particular, though. There's no ........ to the difficultyâ€â€no special cases or rule bending set pieces. Through its basis in real world scientific principles, KSP's challenge is merely a bar it expects you to match. It's not arrogant, vindictive or malicious. It just is. Design a top-heavy rocket with more fuel tanks than stability, and it will fall over and explode. You're not judged for this failure, you're just left to discover it. This is physics, the game is saying. What did you expect? Its logic is grounded and real, and thus consistent and always fair.

They obviously didn't test it on OS X.

Just Sayin...

Windows version 96/100 sure no problem

OS X version... how about a 12 because thats the average playtime between crashes

Still, I love this game and it deserves every bit of positive market response it can get.

Edited by Wallygator

They obviously didn't test it on OS X.

Just Sayin...

Windows version 96/100 sure no problem

OS X version... how about a 12 because thats the average playtime between crashes

Still, I love this game and it deserves every bit of positive market response it can get.

I think that magazine may just be geared towards PCGamering

Since before "hello I'm a Mac". It's their own advertising. There's nothing else to be said here.

Exactly, the "I'm a Mac" and "I'm a pc" advertisements from Apple set that definition when the company doesn't even call it's own products pc's.

There are better places to complain about the stability of the OSX version than a thread discussing a review in a magazine -- regardless of what the review did and didn't say.

So, hie thee hence to the support forums.

Yay! Good for Squad! Very proud of what this little project has grown into!

Not sure where else to put this though- I was a little annoyed by the lack of Mk3 wing boards in 1.0. It seems like such a simple thing to add...

Grammar pet peeves from an proficient English student- Title should be PCGamer has Reviewed KSP!

*has

Either is correct: it depends on whether you are considering "PC Gamer" to be a discrete entity or a named collection of entities. Which choice of words a person uses can -- if they are using language thoughtfully -- betray their attitude to the subject of their sentence. Usually "have" is used when the the writer is implying "the people at PC Gamer", and, of course, if they said "PC Gamer Magazine" then "has" would be more appropriate. In the absence of context to separate the entity from the collection, "have" and "has" are equally valid.

Incidentally, if you REALLY want to be a grammar ...., you should quote the title of the thread in quote marks. ie

Title should be "PCGamer has Reviewed KSP!"

Either is correct: it depends on whether you are considering "PC Gamer" to be a discrete entity or a named collection of entities. Which choice of words a person uses can -- if they are using language thoughtfully -- betray their attitude to the subject of their sentence. Usually "have" is used when the the writer is implying "the people at PC Gamer", and, of course, if they said "PC Gamer Magazine" then "has" would be more appropriate. In the absence of context to separate the entity from the collection, "have" and "has" are equally valid.

Incidentally, if you REALLY want to be a grammar ...., you should quote the title of the thread in quote marks. ie

It could also be PCGamer review: KSP

Readers there, are replying with the inevitable "Why didn't you pick my favorite mod?!"

I am absolutely fine with their choice of mods. Also this statement has no conflict of interests whatsoever :P

I'm actually pretty happy with their selection of showcased mods. I didn't know some of those (besides the super popular ones) existed, and I'm downloading them and trying them out right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.