aerodynamics are unbearable...

hobbez

argh..i can't stand the new physics in 1.02. I didn't have a chance to play with 1.00, but my friend whom i'm playing with right now claims that they've changed since 1.00. Is it so? I know we've taken liberties in the past with ship design pre-1.00, but i'm not really enjoying the game in this state.

In 1.0 there wasn't any distinction between a terrible and a good plane. Literally everything flew there.

1.0.2 has a bit more drag, but also more lift and less wing-drag. It's an adjustment to the new atmosphere, really not as of a deal huge as some people make it.

It's an adjustment to the new atmosphere ...

There were changes to the atmospheres between 0.90 and 1.0, but no changes between 1.0 and 1.0.2. The difference between 1.0 and 1.0.2 is in the drag and lift multipliers. Drag losses in 1.0.2 appear to be roughly double what they were in 1.0.

The whining about the new aerodynamics is unbearable. It's not perfect, but come on the thousand threads by people who just can't sit down for 5 minutes to deal with something new have made this forum from a place for interesting info and fun new ideas to a negative dump of people blabbing on about every little negative detail they can find.

Oh good. I was starting to worry that there weren't enough threads rewording the same arguments.

ah, the night is yet young! we can fit a few more in before sunrise.

But really. The answer to all this is simple. Forget everything you have ever learned about KSP. Forget everything you have ever built. The new aero is just about a whole new game.

I advise playing through some of the tutorials as well, I did and I've played KSP for quite some time now. They help, and they are by no means below any of us here.

One the one hand, I get that it can be little frustrating a) relearning everything and B) having to rework and throw away designs as aerodynamics are tweaked in the 1.0.x releases.

One the other hand, I just finished two years throwing away my entire save game with every release. This way is a huge improvement.

So, given the nature of this game, i assumed that posters of this forum would be more mature than the likes of blizzard forums, but i may have been mistaken.

In response to one of the replies, at the time i posted my message with regards to aerodynamics, i didn't spot another thread about on the front page. And if there's already been numerous posts about this, all i can say is: good! Hopefully squad will notice and address this.

The game didn't feel ready for 1.0.

So, given the nature of this game, i assumed that posters of this forum would be more mature than the likes of blizzard forums, but i may have been mistaken.

In response to one of the replies, at the time i posted my message with regards to aerodynamics, i didn't spot another thread about on the front page. And if there's already been numerous posts about this, all i can say is: good! Hopefully squad will notice and address this.

Address what? In the poll on this same forum 50% of voters said 1.0 aero is better, over 40% voted for 1.0.2 (which technically isn't a change in the 1.0 aero, but drag values etc on parts). Only about 29 people (about 8%) voted for 'old' aerodynamics. It's a shame you don't think it's fun, but for the vast majority of players the new aerodynamic model is an improvement after some getting used to.

Edited by ColourOfFire

Let me guess - you don't think its "fun" because you can't actually get anything to work? Perhaps, as others have suggested, follow the tutorials in game. And forget everything you used to know about KSP. Treat as though you have only now just bought the game.

The whining about the new aerodynamics is unbearable. It's not perfect, but come on the thousand threads by people who just can't sit down for 5 minutes to deal with something new have made this forum from a place for interesting info and fun new ideas to a negative dump of people blabbing on about every little negative detail they can find.

I don't think you understand. The new aero is utterly and completely crap in that it really doesn't meet the quality standards I've come to expect from Squad. It's totally unrealistic. You can come straight in from the Mun for a re-entry, without a heatshield, and nothing will break. Shuttle-style aircraft with small wings land so slowly you could almost catch them with a scooter (I'm talking about the motorized kind). You can pull a bazillion gees at Mach 4 and, again, no structural failures whatsoever.

E: That is not to say that the 0.90 aero is better, which is isn't, but seriously, Squad? You really need to tweak things a bit. More re-entry heating, less lift, stronger aerodynamic stresses.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

The new aero is utterly and completely crap. It's totally unrealistic. You can come straight in from the Mun for a re-entry, without a heatshield, and nothing will break.
Ah yes, as opposed to the old aero, which I recall had very realistic reentry heating, true-to-life aerodynamic stresses, and definitely NO infinigliding. :)

Ah yes, as opposed to the old aero, which I recall had very realistic reentry heating, true-to-life aerodynamic stresses, and definitely NO infinigliding. :)

Please read that again, apparently I edited the post while you were typing yours. My point is that they were supposed to make it more realistic, but it looks like they failed, apart from the reduced drag.

Even the most patient people can get flustered after replying to thread after thread on the same topic posted one after another, go and have a look at the second page of the general discussion to see what I mean.

Another thread on the same topic was posted about 3 hours before you, considering that the longest time between replies to the first and last thread in general discussion is about 10 hours at the moment I highly doubt that it wasn't on the first page when you checked. Even if you missed it (which is fair everyone makes mistakes) the second page is full of threads devoted to the topic of the new aerodynamics.

Apart from the aerodynamics does this apply to any other part of 1.0? Because I think that it is fine.

My point is that they were supposed to make it more realistic, but it looks like they failed, apart from the reduced drag.
I agree that there's room for improvement. However the new model is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one, and I doubt Squad is capable of designing an aerodynamic model that can be entirely realistic, or that they want/need to. They just need one that is good enough, and I think the new model is much closer to that than the placeholder we've had for so many years.

A very well documented way to get support for your opinions on an internet forum is to insult everyone else on the forum with a blanket statement.

Considering the huge leap forward that they made with the aero modelling in 1.0, I'm willing to give them some leeway. even if it's still bad (in some people's eyes, other players absolutely love it, go figure, a forum with differing opinions on the same subject), it's a huge improvement over the previous aero model.

argh..i can't stand the new physics in 1.02. I didn't have a chance to play with 1.00, but my friend whom i'm playing with right now claims that they've changed since 1.00. Is it so? I know we've taken liberties in the past with ship design pre-1.00, but i'm not really enjoying the game in this state.

no they're not you just have to change the way you do things that's all the old tricks will not work with the new aero

I agree that there's room for improvement. However the new model is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one, and I doubt Squad is capable of designing an aerodynamic model that can be entirely realistic, or that they want/need to. They just need one that is good enough, and I think the new model is much closer to that than the placeholder we've had for so many years.

True, however, I think they probably should've done a bit more testing before releasing 1.0 since aero is such an important part of the game. But at least the community has provided them with a ton of feedback on the subject so the next update will probably make it a lot better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.