Several Question About -opengl & -directx11 & etc

1) I read somewhere that the argument '-forcedirectx11' saves about as much memory as '-forced-opengl'. I tried to use forcedirectx and my RAM usage was about 3.2 gigs; can anybody tell me if this is a real flag or not? I googled it but found nothing

2) When exactly does the 32bit game crash? Is it when 3.9gigs of memory are used, 3.7gigs, 3.5gigs? Is it random?

3) I used the aggressive version of 'Texture pack compressor' and saw almost no savings in memory. Is that normal at all? I installed it with CKAN, and the process seemed like it went through, with the initial long loading screen and everything, yet I observed almost no memory savings.

I would greatly appreciate any info, thanks!

it's -force-d3d11 if you want to use directx 11 that's why you didn't see any change there.

32 bit crashes at about 3.4 GB. Really though at the menu you should be under 2.0 GB otherwise you're probably going to have a bad time. Game should be hovering around 2.4-2.8 GB during play, if it starts there and climbs out of that zone you're probably going to crash. Check your log for null reference errors.

ATM might be having some issues, you're better off making sure that all your textures that can be dds are. Also make sure if you're using texture replacer you're on the very newest version. EVE 7.4 may or may not be working right as well. Try removing that and see what happens. I had a lot of EVE related nullreference errors, removing it as much as it hurt to do so fixed my memory climbing problem.

Finally, if you're really fighting for memory space you should try using textures at 1/2 in the options menu. Pretty much did what ATM did... kinda... not really. Not sure how big of an effect that has as the dds files should be loaded to our video cards not physical memory. In my experience though, this version seems to run about the same as .90 with dds textures and DDSLoader as far as memory use is concerned (other than the memory leaks that were plugged).

use "-force -d3d11" to Force it into DX11 (with the right drivers and shaders you can get way better visuals than DX9)

Look up the KSP x64 Unity 4 hack to make the Unity 4 engine run in x64 mode and expand your available memory beyond the 4 Gig limit.

"warning" some Mods may not work with the x64 mode.

So far Iv found one.. the Achievement mod.

use "-force -d3d11" to Force it into DX11 (with the right drivers and shaders you can get way better visuals than DX9)

Look up the KSP x64 Unity 4 hack to make the Unity 4 engine run in x64 mode and expand your available memory beyond the 4 Gig limit.

"warning" some Mods may not work with the x64 mode.

So far Iv found one.. the Achievement mod.

How does forcing dx11 improve the game visuals?

How does forcing dx11 improve the game visuals?

I do not know, to be perfectly honest. All I have are my test results:

NO TARGET PARAMETER: 3gigs used at startup menu

OPENGL: ~1.9ish gigs used at startup menu, only noticable bad visual effect is pixilated outlines on earth/vehicles and non-smooth transition when zooming in/out.

DX11: ~2ish Gigs used at startup menu, ~2.1 gigs used on launchpad, ~2.3 in flight

Good: No more pixilated horizons, no OPENGL-like graphics. Looks GREAT.

Bad: Pilot names & some contract & misc text are slightly smooshed together if they are long. I do not see any other visual errors, and definitely none of significant consequence.

Conclusion: Do DX 11 instead of OPENGL if you get similar savings, because it looks a LOT better.

-force -d3d11

Edited by OddFunction

I do not know, to be perfectly honest. All I have are my test results:

NO TARGET PARAMETER: 3gigs used at startup menu

OPENGL: ~1.9ish gigs used at startup menu, only noticable bad visual effect is pixilated outlines on earth/vehicles and non-smooth transition when zooming in/out.

DX11: ~2ish Gigs used at startup menu, ~2.1 gigs used on launchpad, ~2.3 in flight

Good: No more pixilated horizons, no OPENGL-like graphics. Looks GREAT.

Bad: Pilot names are slightly smooshed together if they are long. I do not see any other visual errors, and definately none of consequence.

Conclusion: Do DX 11 instead of OPENGL if you get similar savings, because it looks a LOT better.

-force -d3d11

KSP is a Dx9 game right? Forcing other modes won't improve visuals. It will jar change memory usage right?

KSP is a Dx9 game right? Forcing other modes won't improve visuals. It will jar change memory usage right?

I do not know.

The only 'improved visuals' I can confirm is the transition from OPENGL to DX11. I don't really have a need to test the difference between DX9 and DX11 because DX11 is working beautifully for me at the moment.

I suggest you give it a shot if you have memory issues :)

This is where all the -force-whatever comes from [Link]

They are Unity3D game engine commands, generally a Unity game will support D3D9 on Windows and OpenGL on OS X and Linux by default, I'm not sure if Unity has export options for D3D11, maybe in U5.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.