[1.0.2][May20] WasdEditorCamera: FPS editor controls

FW Industries

Thank you FW Indstries for this great mod. I've been looking for something like this for years now!

...and on that same line of thinking, do you think it would be possible to have the WSADcamera in the internal of ships? Technically its an EVA but there has to be a way to detach the camera and set it free to roam the internals of the KSP crew parts. This is the ONE aspect of KSP-cinematic's that is missing! This would be a logical step I think for this mod (if at all possible, of course).

In any case, I appreciate your efforts on this greatâ€â€and fundamentally usefulâ€â€mod.

-Evitable

- When moving parts around the camera is clamped to editor bounds but the part isn't. If you clip the part through the wall you can't select it anymore. But undo will move it back.

is there an UNDO in the stock KSP VAB editor???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Would it be possible to keep the mouse wheel scroll for up/down movement? Also, it would be convenient to have the camera controls automatically switch back to default when you have a part selected since WASDQE will now rotate the part instead of move the camera

This is cool. Too bad the rail textures are one-sided so if I move up to look over a rail you just stare over a ledge, not surprising tho since you're not supposed to be up there :) Interesting how you can look at the outside of the VAB while editing in there, but it doesn't load Mission Control. Whereas you can see inside the SPH from the outside when editing from there, and the entire exterior of the VAB and Tracking Station are loaded even though they aren't visible out the SPH opening. Interesting.

What's the number I have to change to make the default speed slower?

There's a config in the mod folder. You'll prob want to play with acceleration and friction.

When version for 1.0.4 will be added :3 ?

Works fine in 1.0.4

With this mod installed, if I right click a part and move the camera around, it's super laggy and stutters no matter which mode I'm in (FPS or stock). With it not installed, there is no stuttering.

Can't reproduce under 1.0.4 - there wasn't any log spam when the frames dropped?

Edited by Gaiiden

Is CKAN no longer working? I haven't tried it in a while, but I posted the original version. If there's something wrong, let me know and I can update it.

No, CKAN is working. Just that a dropbox account isn't the most reliable. Kerbalstuff is where a lot of the authors put their mods.

If you do put it there, then you should update your .netkan file to use that instead of the dropbox.

• 2 weeks later...
Would it be possible to keep the mouse wheel scroll for up/down movement? Also, it would be convenient to have the camera controls automatically switch back to default when you have a part selected since WASDQE will now rotate the part instead of move the camera

Ditto this.

I'm so used to using the mouse wheel scroll that it took me a while to even figure out how to use this properly.

Also, the problem with a selected part is very real. Many times I have a part which I need to move to a different part of the ship, but that part of the ship isn't visible because it is either too high or too low. Having the mouse wheel work would solve this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto this.

I'm so used to using the mouse wheel scroll that it took me a while to even figure out how to use this properly.

Also, the problem with a selected part is very real. Many times I have a part which I need to move to a different part of the ship, but that part of the ship isn't visible because it is either too high or too low. Having the mouse wheel work would solve this problem.

Oh, I just found the "switchmode" key (the 5 key) which switches between the two modes. And it works even when a part is selected.

I just died and went to heaven!

Yay!

I just looked at the cfg file.

Do you have plans to add a cfg window? If not, would you be open to a contribution for a cfg window along with a toolbar button (to get to the cfg window)?

If so, could you put this up in GitHub so that I can easily push the changes to you? If not, I'd be ok with sending you a zip file with the updated code

LGG

You better believe I'll reconfigure the keys to ESDF! WASD = Waz Dumb. ESDF = Ez Da Fantastic!

I assume this is compatible with 1.0.4? Installing neow!

edit: yes, seems to work just fine with 1.0.4.

Edited by Sarxis

I'm working on an updated version of this with the following changes/additions:

• Added configuration window
  • Added ability to enable/disable mouse wheel in Editors
  • Changed "sneak" key from left shift to left control to avoid conflict with mouse wheel left shift
  • Toolbar button which shows if wasd is enabled or not
  • Enabled scroll wheel when part is selected (still working on this)

It's all working now, I just need to add some error checking before releasing it.

My reasons are:

1. I don't like config files which can't be changed
  2. I wanted to be able to use the scroll wheel while in wasd mode.
  3. I wanted to know when I was in wasd mode

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm working on an updated version of this with the following changes/additions:

• Added configuration window
  • Added ability to enable/disable mouse wheel in Editors
  • Changed "sneak" key from left shift to left control to avoid conflict with mouse wheel left shift
  • Toolbar button which shows if wasd is enabled or not
  • Enabled scroll wheel when part is selected (still working on this)

It's all working now, I just need to add some error checking before releasing it.

My reasons are:

1. I don't like config files which can't be changed
  2. I wanted to be able to use the scroll wheel while in wasd mode.
  3. I wanted to know when I was in wasd mode

OH NICE!! @linuxgurugamer thanks man!

Just an ETA update:

I had a lot of problems getting the comboboxes to work properly, but I've just finished that.

I have to implement a "Defaults" button, but don't think I'll have time today, and I'm going to be away until Wednesday.

I expect to have a release of this either Wednesday or Thursday.

Since I haven't heard from the author, I'm going to make this a new mod, called "WasdEditorCamera Redux", unless someone can come up with a better name :-)

Hi all,

I just released the update.

File uploaded to CKAN, so they should get it soon. This mod is set to conflict with the older one

Please try it out and let me know your comments.

I'm going to create a new thread for this in a day or so.

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

linuxgurugamer said:
Hi all,

File uploaded to CKAN, so they should get it soon. This mod is set to conflict with the older one

I'm going to create a new thread for this in a day or so.

I'm not seeing any files (besides the readme and the license) in your GitHub repo.

linuxgurugamer said:
Hi all,

1) Icon doesn't show

2) Buttons in config menu doesn't match

uQRcDXE.jpg

3) When selecting some part camera jumps to that position where it was during default camera mod. This is worst, because now we cannot use an advantage of precise cam positioning when construct something. :(

4) When switching back to default camera it slower down rotation around vertical axis...

Switching back to May20 version until fixed version :)

Still great mod, cant wait for the new version! :)

I'm not seeing any files (besides the readme and the license) in your GitHub repo.

sorry, it was uploaded this morning

- - - Updated - - -

1) Icon doesn't show

2) Buttons in config menu doesn't match

http://i.imgur.com/uQRcDXE.jpg

3) When selecting some part camera jumps to that position where it was during default camera mod. This is worst, because now we cannot use an advantage of precise cam positioning when construct something. :(

4) When switching back to default camera it slower down rotation around vertical axis...

Switching back to May20 version until fixed version :)

Still great mod, cant wait for the new version! :)

Nuts.

This is what happens when I do something late at night.

Can you tell me your screen resolution (ie: what are you running the game at)? It lines up properly on my screen, so I'll need to do some checking. Also, for some reason, the entire right side is missing in the settings.

Re # 3, strange, because I didn't touch that code at all. This may be a result of switching back to default camera mode when selecting a part. Are you in the VAB or SPF when doing this?

Re. #4, can you elaborate? Is it with keys or mouse, or both? I do see that comparing the rotation in the default, it is slower than the rotation in the WASD using the mouse, but that is a config option which can be tweaked

thanks

Edit:

I fixed the following:

1. Settings dialog was messed up. Looks good on my screen, please get back to me with a screenshot if it is not good on yours

2. Fixed missing toolbar icon

0.3.0 is released, please try it out and get back to me.

Re. # 3, I've tested this both in the VAB and SPH, by creating a long rocket (pod + two SRBS stacked together), moved in close to the pod with the normal mode, switched to WASD mode, moved to the bottom of the lower booser and selected it. In both cases, the camera did not jump. Can you do a video to show me what's happening so I can reproduce it?

Re. # 4, go into the Settings and change the "Sensitivity" setting to something like 6 or 8 and see if that helps.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.