The International Flag of Planet Earth

FishInferno

Well, considering that NASA's money comes from the US... I mean, if I it were to spend a ton of money to put the craft on another planet I'd like to have my face on the rover too. :)

If the mission is international... I guess having an Earth flag makes sense... Not sure.

Yeah, if our tax money went into the finance of a mission me and many other people I know would sure wanna see the American flag on the lander. It isn't unfortunate, it's just appropriate. We landed on the Moon with the American flag many times, we even brought Soviet flags, the flag of our opponent in the space race, to the moon, so why not continue the legacy and the tradition? And if there ever is a multinational effort on a single mission, to save time on deliberation for a flag I'd say to just put all the flags of the involved nations on whatever mothership, lander, or craft's being sent into space. Keep it simple, nobody wants to keep a space mission waiting just because we're looking for a singular flag to represent all the nations involved.

Flags are actually a pretty recent invention - they might not be around forever. A nice symbol that would by definition be applicable to all human beings without any exclusion or prejudice could be a depiction of our brain in profile, as seen by MRI. It's our one physical feature that, when not present, really takes away our personhood.

939c02df67647a4d4a7ff7968b5e6dbf.jpg

A flag makes little sense for the side of spacecraft. Lets just adopt a roundel. I propose the Greek symbol for Earth. Looks good on the side of a white spaceship, and the fields can be colored or patterned for various nationalities.

Just make it a QR code that links to the wikipedia page on humankind

Wow, didn't think phone service was offered on the Moon/Mars.

Pretty similar to my idea of just saying we are here, without symbols or other stuff like that.

I don't think its perfect but i like the color and the way that it has only round shapes. Makes it feel natural and it somehow conveys a good intent of exploration.

And please, the American flag as the world flag Robotengineer?

It was sarcasm...

Here's my flag:

ypDkyJQ.png

Everyone can see it right? No?

Flags are a silly idea. Certainly there are more intelligent and effective ways to express the human race's existence on other planets so that aliens don't go trying to study this anomalous object that's probably going to decay in only 250 years.

Flags are a silly idea. Certainly there are more intelligent and effective ways to express the human race's existence on other planets so that aliens don't go trying to study this anomalous object that's probably going to decay in only 250 years.

Like a giant space station? Or a giant hunk of metal?

Flags are more about Nationalism than human achievement really. NASA wants the American flag because NASA is an American Space Agency.

Given we still don't have a unified Earth (not that that is a good/bad thing), it is hard to picture a Singular Flag representing the collective nations given there is no "collective nations" just a loose set of treaties with the U.N. (Huh, another flag we could use XD)

Edited by Fel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.