[1.0.4]Civilian Population 1.7.5.1 (Update to 1.0.5 in Progress)

Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?

• Keep IVA's (they are fun to look at!)
    • Remove IVA's but offer in an Optional Download (would take more time to implement but doable!)

Thats one heck of a Construct by the way! would love to see a screen shot when its finished

thats the least you can expect ;)

its meant to become a Girder for catched asteroids in my new station for generating fuel & co on demand instead of having to refuel it all the time.

but lifting 1.200.000 KG into space is enough... should not become any larger.

P.S.: check the nodes pls, im sure my fix is not right :D

thats the least you can expect ;)

its meant to become a Girder for catched asteroids in my new station for generating fuel & co on demand instead of having to refuel it all the time.

but lifting 1.200.000 KG into space is enough... should not become any larger.

P.S.: check the nodes pls, im sure my fix is not right :D

Haha i am. I hope the new T, L, and X core girders help a bit

1.7.1.1 Hotfix!

• Fixed regular Core Girder model orientation. (Cosmetic issue, but would make folks who already have them on ships look weird)
  • Added CLS (Connected Living Spaces) config that should have shipped with last patch.
  • Doubled power production on Reactor Module increased weight to compensate. (to compare it was about 2.5 times the size of the OKS-PDU, but weight a tad less and put out the same power. Fixed this)
  • Fix nodes on the 18x18 girder, (they were backward)

Download of course on the front page via Kerbalstuff (CKAN should pick up the update shortly)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

can you provide me a 18x18 curved truss WITH core?

no need for CLS, can fix that on my own ;)

name = truss18x18NoCore

=>

name = truss18x18Core

thanks

I'll see what i can do :) I don't wanna add to many more structural Parts, and buff up the download size too much more. But that's reasonable request, Ill get around to it soon.

Assuming the hotfix fixed the issue for ya?

Assuming the hotfix fixed the issue for ya?

yop, doing fine.

just needed to strip down my girder; had reached 4.000 tons cause i wanted to get bigger and bigger :D

edit:

check that picture, please; is that just my KSP, or is one sid of the junction not rendered properly?

b0fYZ9e.png

Edited by Speadge

I absolutely love CivPop. The one thing i do wonder is why it takes 50 kerbals before any reproduction can take place. Isn't that a bit odd?

I would like to suggest reducing that number to two but adding an extra check whether or not there is room for a newborn.

I absolutely love CivPop. The one thing i do wonder is why it takes 50 kerbals before any reproduction can take place. Isn't that a bit odd?

I would like to suggest reducing that number to two but adding an extra check whether or not there is room for a newborn.

50 was the default setting before i took this project over, so far I haven't touched that specific aspect (reproduction)

Id be open to reducing the number, but i don't think id take it as low as too. If your sending out a seed colony that's not coming back, you'd want a little more genetic diversity in the gene pool :P I'd say now lower then 10 to 25 individuals.

yop, doing fine.

just needed to strip down my girder; had reached 4.000 tons cause i wanted to get bigger and bigger :D

edit:

check that picture, please; is that just my KSP, or is one sid of the junction not rendered properly?

http://i.imgur.com/b0fYZ9e.png

Speadge, I was able to reproduce that, so its not just you. Also able to fix it for ya :) ill upload a fixed .mu file for you to drop in your GameData\NetherdyneAerospace\CivilianManagement\Assets Folder. (dont wanna drop a whole hotfix for just that file, but it will also be included in the next patch)

Speadge, I was able to reproduce that, so its not just you. Also able to fix it for ya :) ill upload a fixed .mu file for you to drop in your GameData\NetherdyneAerospace\CivilianManagement\Assets Folder. (dont wanna drop a whole hotfix for just that file, but it will also be included in the next patch)

well, that would be Kind, but dont rush this. i dont Need it fixed. just wanted to mention it. thats to small to be seen in space

- - - Updated - - -

Are you building a Bork ship by any chance?

almost :D

no, the plan is to build a Station with an Asteroid-mining in ist Center.

most build stations on asteroids.. that was way to casual :D - just wanted to go way bigger than that.

turns out: the Grabbing Unit doesnt work well with Tweakscale - anyway, another topic

Speadge, that station looks great.

I do think that a minimum of about 10 would be better for the reproduction. After all, they would probably be a little choosy about who to reproduce with :cool:.

On the subject of cores for the large trusses, I think it might be best having a separate model for the core, and using the .cfg to add the frame and core into one part. It would save on memory.

In other business, here are some pics of a small pod house I've been working on. Still not sure how big it should be, so here it is in two sizes, alongside the current smallest housing unit:

Small:

141qic4.jpg

Not-so-small:

r2qnar.jpg

It's a simple design, with the large window on each side doubling as a door, to save space. I wanted it to be less kerbal-dense than the 4-kerbal pod (which only makes sense as a living space if the cryo-sleep beds are in use constanly). I thought the smaller size would be suitable for maybe 3 civilians, or the larger size for 5. I'd appreciate any thoughts about the design, as well as which size would be best.

Speadge, that station looks great.

I do think that a minimum of about 10 would be better for the reproduction. After all, they would probably be a little choosy about who to reproduce with :cool:.

On the subject of cores for the large trusses, I think it might be best having a separate model for the core, and using the .cfg to add the frame and core into one part. It would save on memory.

In other business, here are some pics of a small pod house I've been working on. Still not sure how big it should be, so here it is in two sizes, alongside the current smallest housing unit:

Small:

http://i62.tinypic.com/141qic4.jpg

Not-so-small:

http://i57.tinypic.com/r2qnar.jpg

It's a simple design, with the large window on each side doubling as a door, to save space. I wanted it to be less kerbal-dense than the 4-kerbal pod (which only makes sense as a living space if the cryo-sleep beds are in use constanly). I thought the smaller size would be suitable for maybe 3 civilians, or the larger size for 5. I'd appreciate any thoughts about the design, as well as which size would be best.

Wow! looks good.

Nice Cosmic :D I'm preferential to the larger size myself. I do like the idea of of having a texture switch with the cores on the girders, though i always hate to add more dependecies, (would use fsTextureswitch , firespitter) though if you have MKS, you always have Firespitter.

In other notes, Should finish a numbers pass by this Friday (thank goodness for days off work :P) Have a few smallish bug fixes to pop in as well.

hey there, just a little update to keep this thread alive.

you can see a newly captured class c asteroid... i start wondering if i overscaled a bit.

By the way, anyone know how to make with tweakscale upscaled grabbling units work?

lGmmdwx.png

Spredge, id imagine you just need to write a tweak-scale config(see the Tweakscale thread for more info ) for it (not guarnetees on how well it would work, the grabbing units are kraken-bait as-is :P)

Wonder how a E-size asteroid compares in size :)

thanks.

i have a Tweakscale.cfg for the AGU shipped in stock mod already. but everytime i scale it up just a bit, i cant connect anymore.

really frustrating when having a 10m AGU inside this girder and u finally made orbit with it , catched an asteroid, brought it back, navigated into girder - cant dock :D

I had a lot of trouble, myself, trying to stop a class E asteroid from hitting Kerbin. I even went so far as to build a giant rocket man with two extra-large grabbers:

160f0j7.jpg

There were two main flaws in my plan. After realising - once I arrived at the asteroid - that AGU's don't work with TweakScale, I had to edit my save file to get them back to normal size. But, once I'd done that, I found that it's very difficult to grab an oddly-shaped object square-on with two grabbers at once, and very difficult to keep aligned to the centre of mass.

Back to CivPop, I'm currently trying to get to grips with animations in blender and unity. I've been planning for some time to add automated harvesters to the small hydroponics module. Half the supports around the middle have strip lights (for when you get stuck on the wrong side of the Mun, etc.), and the other half have little robotic units on them. Each unit moves slowly up and down the support, while the arms on each side grab bits of plant as they go. I'm trying to get the two different movements to be separate simple animations which work at the same time, so I don't have to set 100's of keyframes. I should have some progress soon.

I had a lot of trouble, myself, trying to stop a class E asteroid from hitting Kerbin. I even went so far as to build a giant rocket man with two extra-large grabbers:

http://i60.tinypic.com/160f0j7.jpg

There were two main flaws in my plan. After realising - once I arrived at the asteroid - that AGU's don't work with TweakScale, I had to edit my save file to get them back to normal size. But, once I'd done that, I found that it's very difficult to grab an oddly-shaped object square-on with two grabbers at once, and very difficult to keep aligned to the centre of mass.

Back to CivPop, I'm currently trying to get to grips with animations in blender and unity. I've been planning for some time to add automated harvesters to the small hydroponics module. Half the supports around the middle have strip lights (for when you get stuck on the wrong side of the Mun, etc.), and the other half have little robotic units on them. Each unit moves slowly up and down the support, while the arms on each side grab bits of plant as they go. I'm trying to get the two different movements to be separate simple animations which work at the same time, so I don't have to set 100's of keyframes. I should have some progress soon.

Nice i like the idea :) If you need any help with the animations shoot me a PM!

Ive completed a mockup of how i want the CivPop UI to look. (and maybe 1/10 of the way through actually coding it :P) but ill post a screenie for feedback later on when im on my home PC.

A quick update on WIP revision of the large apartment complex.

14qqzr.jpg

Kerbals can now walk around inside the observation deck.

30kc0md.jpg

It still needs a bit of tweaking, and I'll be adding a bit of new texture to it, but it's mostly done.

I also tried to make a small video to show the new animation for the automated crop harvesting on the small hydroponics module, but my computer said 'no'.

Edited by Cosmic_Farmer

A quick update on WIP revision of the large apartment complex.

http://i62.tinypic.com/14qqzr.jpg

Kerbals can now walk around inside the observation deck.

http://i61.tinypic.com/30kc0md.jpg

It still needs a bit of tweaking, and I'll be adding a bit of new texture to it, but it's mostly done.

I also tried to make a small video to show the new animation for the automated crop harvesting on the small hydroponics module, but my computer said 'no'.

Nice! Wrapping all the last bits up for a patch this weekend. Lemme know if you want me to hold off to include the large apartment. Its looking good. Awesome work as usual! You rock!

I can grab a vid/gif of the new animation on the small hydroponics. Not sure if you were doing anything for the medium/large, but ive started working on one for the medium :)

Also a quick shout to a streaming bud of mine Oaktree42 who has been streaming while using the CivPop mod and has helped with a bit of feedback as well. (check him out for great KSP gameplay! )

He also linked me to some really interesting reading on Generational Starships, and a concept i'm wanting to pursue (haven't decided if I will fold it into CivPop or if it will be a standalone. )

Modular Generational ship: Center structural hub with interchangeable Living/working/support modules around the exterior. Ment to be VERY large. :) (and yes its ment to spin!)

full paper on its concept found here

II-Vessel-Characteristics.jpg

Edited by rabidninjawombat

This mod is such a mindscrew. What kind of measurement are civilians calculated in? Metric liters? So given that the average human has about 70 liters of volume, a kerbal standing in roughly half the size would be around 35-40 liters. So it's safe to say around 40 liters of depleted kerbonium is 1 civilian. That's all nice and dandy until you remember...

...2.4/4 civilians.

I hope you didn't need to chop up any kerbonauts to get that .4 :D

Gotta test out this version, hope me luck with the crashes!

Nice! Wrapping all the last bits up for a patch this weekend. Lemme know if you want me to hold off to include the large apartment. Its looking good. Awesome work as usual! You rock!

Aw shucks,:blush: thanks. I got held up a bit with the apartment complex due to IRL party/hangover issues, but almost done. I'll just run an in-game test and then submit it. I didn't have any immediate plans for animations on the medium or large hydroponics. I'll send you the blend files I have for those. When I get round to overhauling the farm, I was planning to add harvesters there, too.

I checked out Oaktree42. He seems to do some interesting and entertaining stuff. I didn't find anything with this mod in it though. I'll look again at some other time.

That super-massive colony ship looks really interesting. I really like the idea of having one of those colonies built on the inside of a rotating tube. Like this:

nasa+space+colony+moon.jpg

Alrightman: It would be better to have it displayed in whole kerbals, but I don't think the game engine allows it. I just think of the whole numbers being fully-grown kerbals, and decimals being kerbal children (they must exist, right?).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.