Hypothetical- Geosynchronus Kesseler Cascade

Rakaydos

So, hypothetically something goes catastrophically wrong on a geosynchronus satelite, throwing debris in all direcion, messing up another satelite, and another, setting off a chain reaction that kills every satelite orbiting at the geosynchronus altitude.

What would this mean for life on earth? What would it mean for Nasa's DSN and solar system explorations? How important is geosynchronus orbit to our modern world, and how is that likely to change in the near future?

It wouldn't be nearly as bad or as sudden as you say. Geostationary sats are all travelling at the same speed with attitude control and station-keeping.

First of all, space is mindboggingly big. GSO is at an altitude of 36000km, which makes the entire perimeter of the orbit 36000+12000+36000*pi = 264000 km. That is a hell of a long line to string 400 satellites: one satellite every 660 km. Some areas are more crowded than others, but the closest distance between two GSO sats is about 70 km.

To intercept another satellite, any debris would have to be going either faster or slower than a geostationary sat, which means that it would flying either above or below geostationary orbit. It would only intersect the geostationary altitude twice on each orbit, and you would have to be extremely unlucky if those two intersections happened to be on the same inclination AND and on to collide with another sat when the average distance between two sats is the size of Germany. Your odds of debris killing off every GSO satellite are infinitesimal.

Edited by Nibb31

This makes no sense. GEO stuff is coorbital by definition. Any debris sent prograde ends up out of GEO. Any sent retrograde lowers out of GEO, radial shifts PE/AP, etc, etc. Any nearby stuff is only hit at the velocity the initial shrapnel has.

It is principally a concern with crossing orbits (near the poles) due to the high crossing velocities (where such an impact can deposit large amounts of energy in the Gary.

what is the gary

Gary is the entity (gender non specific) that controls and tracks any deposited energy inflicted due to polar orbits.

I can't believe you don't know this...

EDIT: "Gary" must now become the new meme for anything regarding orbital misinformation. (Full credit to Tater - no disrespect - but a simple typo can become a grand historic meme in good context)

Edited by Wallygator

Sorry, my machine has some drive errors, and I'm stuck on my phone until my new SSD arrives today… autocorrect and a tiny screen.

No idea how it turned "target" to "the Gary." It is likely the fact that iOS8 put a . next to the space bar just to screw up my typing.

EDIT: computer update (venting). Amazon shipped my 1 TB SSD… in an envelope. Does an envelope warn someone in a vehicle in a warehouse, airport, or at UPS not to drive over it? Of course not, it's too tiny. If that happens, does it offer any protection? Nope. Does the metal case of the SSD crush under the weight of a vehicle? Apparently so. Now I will not have my machine fixed until Friday or Saturday. I've gotten things that are tiny, and indestructible in boxes vastly larger than the item from Amazon, and yet a small, fragile, electronic part comes in an envelope.

Edited by tater

Sorry, my machine has some drive errors, and I'm stuck on my phone until my new SSD arrives today… autocorrect and a tiny screen.

No idea hot it turned "target" to "the Gary." It is likely the fact that iOS8 put a . next to the space bar just to screw up my typing.

Regardless, You have inspired a new Meme - All Hail tater!!!!!

Gary is the entity (gender non specific) that controls and tracks any deposited energy inflicted due to polar orbits.

lol got it

"Gary" must now become the new meme for anything regarding orbital misinformation. (Full credit to Tater - no disrespect - but a simple typo can become a grand historic meme in good context)

seconded

tater you should put that in your signature

Edited by Findthepin1

It wouldn't be nearly as bad or as sudden as you say. Geostationary sats are all travelling at the same speed with attitude control and station-keeping.

First of all, space is mindboggingly big. GSO is at an altitude of 36000km, which makes the entire perimeter of the orbit 36000+12000+36000*pi = 264000 km. That is a hell of a long line to string 400 satellites: one satellite every 660 km. Some areas are more crowded than others, but the closest distance between two GSO sats is about 70 km.

To intercept another satellite, any debris would have to be going either faster or slower than a geostationary sat, which means that it would flying either above or below geostationary orbit. It would only intersect the geostationary altitude twice on each orbit, and you would have to be extremely unlucky if those two intersections happened to be on the same inclination AND and on to collide with another sat when the average distance between two sats is the size of Germany. Your odds of debris killing off every GSO satellite are infinitesimal.

You forgot to add 264000000m/86400s = 3055 m/s those and most of the debris would be crossing at oblique angles at nearly the same speed, so they might toss a satellite off its orbit but there is no certainty that it would be destructive.

Satellite is more likely to be taken out by meteorites or intentional acts of sabotage.

EDIT: computer update (venting). Amazon shipped my 1 TB SSD… in an envelope. Does an envelope warn someone in a vehicle in a warehouse, airport, or at UPS not to drive over it? Of course not, it's too tiny. If that happens, does it offer any protection? Nope. Does the metal case of the SSD crush under the weight of a vehicle? Apparently so. Now I will not have my machine fixed until Friday or Saturday. I've gotten things that are tiny, and indestructible in boxes vastly larger than the item from Amazon, and yet a small, fragile, electronic part comes in an envelope.

I recently received an actual HDD (not an SSD) in an envelope. Of course, it was dead when it arrived.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.