PS4 Announcement Discussion

DuoDex

I think the control system could easily be made to work for console....

Flight Scene - well, pretty much already there, key bindings can be context based - so for example if you approach your vessel on EVA, "x" to grab "x to climb" "x to board" etc. (much like the almighty F key was until they changed it for boarding. Still annoyed by that.)

VAB/SPH - I was sceptical about this one at first, as I thought that the VAB is fiddly enough with a KB/mouse. It's actually quite simple! You have two modes - "stack" and "symmetry"

When in stack mode the part you select will automatically place itself at the bottom of the vessel stack. Symmetry mode (activated by R1 - each time you press R1 you go up a level (ie 2x symmetry, 4x etc) - parts will auto snap radially to a piece. You then use the left stick to select the part you want them attached to, and the right stick to fine tune. I think it would work quite well. Hell, I think auto snap is something the PC version could benefit from.

The thing is though... and this is my main concern. Who is going to buy it!? Is there a massive clamouring for a semi-realistic space simulator on PS4? Am I missing something? There is a reason that simulators don't do well on console... players aren't interested! (obvious exception - Ace Combat - although that's not exactly a simulator - I'm probably forgetting a few). Or if they are, they own a PC!

Also in my few years with this game I have never seen anyone asking for the console version.

I have seen it asked, though it's rare.

They should really put 64 bit support/Unity 5 first.

If you check on what's been announced so far, Harvester says that the Unity 5 port was actually sped up by this decision because the company that they're outsourcing the PS4 port to has more Unity 5 experience than Squad does, and was willing to help out in the initial work. Really, we're going to see Unity 5 and probably 64 bit Win support before the PS4 port is released.

in both cases there's a chance that PC users will be from this moment more or less ignored due to focus on other platform.

There's also a chance that an asteroid will kill us all before any of that happens. Simply saying "a chance" without even a guess at the probability kind of feels like fear mongering.

Since squad themselves are sticking with the desktop platforms and outsourcing the PS4 port, I really don't think you could call this a "focus on other platform"s. I do agree that the PC version of KSP could be harmed if they switched to primarily developing a PS4 version and then porting that to the desktop platforms, but that's not what's happening here unless Squad is lying out of their rear orifice. I just don't see that happening prior to KSP 2 or some other update that is almost a complete rewrite.

Personally, I've got no firm concerns about this announcement. It's possible that they may actually lose money on this, it's possible that the PS4 port may not be as playable as the PC version, and it's possible that they could flip around the prioritization, but really, none of these are likely enough to affect the current players of KSP. I'll keep my eyes open to see if anything like that is coming down the pike, but it's way too early to start fretting over it.

The closest thing to a concern was the fact that the announcement replaced the dev notes instead of being the big item on the dev notes. I can see where the announcement is very big from their point of view, but as a player that has no interest in playing consoles, it doesn't affect me in any way other than the probably-unlikely events discussed here.

As soon as the game crashes on PS4 for the first time, reviews will kill it. PC users are usually much more forgiving when it comes to bugs, because they can simply patch it or add mods, PS4 players are not. They expect a finished and polished game or rip it apart.

As happy as the devs might be right now, I am pretty sure that will boomerang back. The sales will - sophisticated guess - barely cover the cost, and during the development time too many bugs have been ignored to make anyone else happy. I just recommended the game to a friend, and after playing the demo he summarized it as: "Fun game, but with all the bugs not worth 40 bucks". Scale that, then take a guess how many customers Squad lost by focusing on PS4 instead of PC.

I have seen it asked, though it's rare.

If you check on what's been announced so far, Harvester says that the Unity 5 port was actually sped up by this decision because the company that they're outsourcing the PS4 port to has more Unity 5 experience than Squad does, and was willing to help out in the initial work. Really, we're going to see Unity 5 and probably 64 bit Win support before the PS4 port is released.

There's also a chance that an asteroid will kill us all before any of that happens. Simply saying "a chance" without even a guess at the probability kind of feels like fear mongering.

Since squad themselves are sticking with the desktop platforms and outsourcing the PS4 port, I really don't think you could call this a "focus on other platform"s. I do agree that the PC version of KSP could be harmed if they switched to primarily developing a PS4 version and then porting that to the desktop platforms, but that's not what's happening here unless Squad is lying out of their rear orifice. I just don't see that happening prior to KSP 2 or some other update that is almost a complete rewrite.

Personally, I've got no firm concerns about this announcement. It's possible that they may actually lose money on this, it's possible that the PS4 port may not be as playable as the PC version, and it's possible that they could flip around the prioritization, but really, none of these are likely enough to affect the current players of KSP. I'll keep my eyes open to see if anything like that is coming down the pike, but it's way too early to start fretting over it.

The closest thing to a concern was the fact that the announcement replaced the dev notes instead of being the big item on the dev notes. I can see where the announcement is very big from their point of view, but as a player that has no interest in playing consoles, it doesn't affect me in any way other than the probably-unlikely events discussed here.

PS4 runs on x86 but another OS, no idea that but guess some unix derivate (everybody exept windows does), think its 64 bit only.

Control in VAB might be an issue, solvable but probably feel clunky at least to some degree. However its no time pressure, real time strategy games don't work on consoles because of controls and time pressure. Flying should work well probably better.

Now as long as an external company do the porting I don't see the problem. It will increase sales, pc will stay the main platform and I don't see that changes.

it also makes sense to start the work now even if the game need more fixing as the porting will take time.

Except action groups. Also selecting parts in flight has no elegant solution that I can think of.

Selecting parts would be hard yes, you would need an cursor controlled by an stick, action groups are doable perhaps not 10 but at least 4 or something.

Porting UI is always very hard.

I have so far only seen a few people ever mentioning they want a console port.
Keep in mind the forum is a self-selected group, probably biased strongly towards those who already own KSP.

Indeed that may be one reason some of the Squad staff pay more attention to Reddit - more potential customers there.

Selecting parts would be hard yes, you would need an cursor controlled by an stick
I think that would be a disaster, even using the touchpad it would very much feel like a PC UI shoehorned into a console. A menu system would work better with the gamepad I feel.

LoL, Upsilon, you've pointed out problems in points 1-2-3... then ask for a compromise? I agree with your first paragraph, but what do you have in mind?

Here's more or less what I had in mind. Perhaps it strikes you as naïve, but at least it's something.

Let's say we had a system in place where at least one developer was on the Forum daily. This developer would mostly be reading the stuff in the Suggestions and Development subforum and General Discussions. If there was a dedicated group of people who wanted a certain reasonable change to occur with the game, that dev would respond to the thread, stating, "Yes; I hear your statements; give me a little time and I'll talk to my fellow members of SQUAD about the feasibility of that feature." Then, s/he would talk with the developers and reach a conclusion about the change, saying either "This looks like a possibility" or "Sorry, but this probably won't happen because of these reasons."

While I'm sure some would complain about 'wasted time,' I think it would be nice have a little more say in how SQUAD's time is actually spent.

In exchange for this added transparency, Forum-goers would be held to a higher standard in terms of politeness and courteousness, perhaps with slightly increased moderation. The thing is, I think that if there was a steady two-way conversation going, there would be fewer people screaming, because they would not have to scream to make their voices heard. I think that a lot of Forum-goers aren't cautious with their words because they think that SQUAD isn't listening too hard. If they could prove to us that they understood our points, the Forum would likely be a more positive place.

Again, some of you guys may think that this is sappy and unlikely to work, but I haven't heard many other suggestions here. Perhaps others can think of a better way to improve the Forum?

If this is discussed too much more, though, we might as well start a new thread. I certainly don't want to be a burden on this one any more :rolleyes:

-Upsilon

Keep in mind the forum is a self-selected group, probably biased strongly towards those who already own KSP.

Indeed that may be one reason some of the Squad staff pay more attention to Reddit - more potential customers there.

In fact, when I mentioned that I have rarely seen people asking KSP to be ported to consoles, it's possible that every request I've seen has been on Reddit. I'd expect them to be more common there since Reddit has a wider user base, not being restricted to KSP players. This forum is populated almost entirely by people playing an existing version of KSP, which means desktop users.

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2015/2015/6/17/8796869/kerbal-space-program-is-coming-to-ps4-thanks-to-sonys-strength-in

I found this part interesting:

Console controls, Sabido added, are largely being gleaned from community-based mods already available in the game's forums. The PS4 version will feature a new, unified UI system that may carry over into the PC game.

The team at Squad is hoping to have KSP availably by the third quarter of this year.

1. Are there mods that let you play with a DS4 controller?

2. This implies we might get a "consolified" UI, which was a concern of some here.

3. Cool, might hit before x-mas?

• 3 weeks later...

Does no one here realize the Dual Shock 4 controller features a clickable track pad? Like a laptop? As far a cursor control goes, that's about as simple as it gets, for a gamepad. I imagine they could likely also support plugging a mouse or keyboard in, for those that really prefer classic PC controls.

[Caution: pointless complaining incoming]

Pls Squad, make the PC version stable and somewhat definitive before trying to make a PS4 port.

Managing the PS4 version will take time that could be used to improve the PC version. You can just develop the PC version, finish it, and then worry about a PS4 version instead of having to manage both PC and PS4 games at the same time... :/

[Pointless complaining over]

[Caution: pointless complaining incoming]

Pls Squad, make the PC version stable and somewhat definitive before trying to make a PS4 port.

Managing the PS4 version will take time that could be used to improve the PC version. You can just develop the PC version, finish it, and then worry about a PS4 version instead of having to manage both PC and PS4 games at the same time... :/

[Pointless complaining over]

Pointless indeed, because Squad is not porting the game, another company is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.