Kerbal-Kon 2015: Can We Make It Happen?

BagelRabbit

Here in the States, considering the age group of a large number of KSP players (I'm assuming mind you), I don't know if you'll want to look beyond September as most will be back to school.

You're very likely correct, though I did state that the convention should probably happen before mid-August on the original post :)

Is there any way (or rather, someone) who has direct contact with the folks at Squad that they can ask about sales demographics data for KSP? That could help a lot in trying to target locations to hold a series of conventions, or simultaneous conventions (live feed video conference between them all - that would be fun). How about hitting up the educational angle of KSP and looking to schools or college campuses for event hosting?

Choosing a school or college campus would be a great angle to approach this at (and kenbobo's university suggestion is a good one). It may cost less money overall to just attend an existing convention, though. Does anyone know how much it would cost to rent out a few buildings at any given university for a weekend?

What about having regional conventions?

Having multiple regional conventions wouldn't be a bad idea at all (in fact, it would be nice to organize some of these meetups in the future). That being said, it would definitely be quite cool if there was a single convention that was considerably larger than all of the others.

If there was a larger convention, hundreds of KSP players from around the world could meet and greet in a single building. We could organize dedicated panels for craft construction and the like, recruiting only the best of KSP players. The chances of KSP celebrities dropping by to visit would increase exponentially. We could even get a little bit of media attention, if we coordinated our efforts well enough. So having one larger-scale "Kerbal-Kon" would benefit pretty much everyone involved.

I've updated the original post, by the way. Of the conventions suggested, I'm really liking the one in Oregon... though there may well be better conventions out there. It sounds as if a lot of notable KSP players are on the East Coast... are there any appropriate conventions there?

-Upsilon

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

Yeah, I knew the conventions I listed for Vancouver weren't a good fit for KSP, but those were the only ones here that were remotely like KSP. I have to say the FlightSimCon next year sounds like a perfect fit.

Maybe a bunch of KSPers could dress up like kerbals to crash the AnimeCon :cool:

The panels would also be streamed, right? I would watch a craft design panel with Rune, MajorJim, Gusturbo, and MadRocketScientist. (Apologies to any great craft designers that were left out, those were the ones that came to mind ATM)

Yeah, I knew the conventions I listed for Vancouver weren't a good fit for KSP, but those were the only ones here that were remotely like KSP. I have to say the FlightSimCon next year sounds like a perfect fit.

Yes, FlightSimCon sounds like a perfect fit. It's something to look forward to, to be certain :)

Maybe a bunch of KSPers could dress up like kerbals to crash the AnimeCon :cool:

Hee hee. That would be fun, though perhaps a little difficult to pull off...

The panels would also be streamed, right? I would watch a craft design panel with Rune, MajorJim, Gusturbo, and MadRocketScientist. (Apologies to any great craft designers that were left out, those were the ones that came to mind ATM)

I think that one of the top priorities for any major Kerbal-Kon would be the ability to livestream it. I'm well aware that many people wouldn't be able to come, so if at all possible, it would be nice to livestream the panels and major events. Perhaps (as was almost the case at Denver Comic Con 2015, which I went to*) there could also be streams featuring small groups of KSP players building and flying craft together.

*A big source of inspiration for this idea was the KSP booth at DCC 2015, where I spent many happy hours with DasValdez. I built a pretty VTOL and we flew around some planes and rockets. He was going to livestream the event, but sadly there was no internet in the games room... otherwise, I would have had five minutes of Internet fame.

-Upsilon

Or maybe the West coast... I'd love seeing the Seattle Center house a KSP convention. I'm already a volunteer for BrickCon and I would love to aid in setting up a convention for my more recent hobby. :)

South-East coast USA please. :)
Midwest OK?

Again, the easiest and least expensive way to make this happen is to choose an existing convention (even though our own convention would be nice, kenbobo, it would likely cost a lot to rent the thing out for a full weekend. Maybe you could ask how much it would cost to rent out a fair bit of the convention center?) If you guys can find an appropriate convention in the midwest/near the East Coast that runs between mid-July and mid-August (or if the cost isn't too prohibitive and we can rent out our own convention center), I would be happy to add that option to the list on the OP.

I'd love to go. Maybe us light-green group people should get a T-shirt with the Light Green Group pips printed on it.

That would be awesome, though I'm not sure how many people would get the reference (a similar Reputation system exists on many forums, and members of the KSP Reddit may not get the reference). Still, though, bringing KSP t-shirts, hats, custom-made cosplays, buttons and pins, plushies, bracelets, headbands, scarves, or jewelry would be more than appropriate. (If they don't already exist, then make them! KSP players seem to be a creative enough bunch... :))

-Upsilon

[EDIT: I just realized that SpoKon would be right up your alley, Avera9eJoe! If we do choose a convention site on the West Coast, it would be great if you could lend a hand...]

That would be awesome, though I'm not sure how many people would get the reference (a similar Reputation system exists on many forums, and members of the KSP Reddit may not get the reference). Still, though, bringing KSP t-shirts, hats, custom-made cosplays, buttons and pins, plushies, bracelets, headbands, scarves, or jewelry would be more than appropriate. (If they don't already exist, then make them! KSP players seem to be a creative enough bunch... :))

Well then we'll wear our reddit flaires too!

Oh and one more thing seeing as this is on the topic of KSP things that we wish where happening this year but aren't officially planned, The Kerbal Cup.

It was linked to FIFA last year and seeing as this year there isn't a big game, there hasn't been a Kerbin Cup. Last year it happened around June 10th, which passed a few weeks ago. I'd be happy to run one though... if it got enough important people to back it. And a worthy prize for the winning team.

Oh and one more thing seeing as this is on the topic of KSP things that we wish where happening this year but aren't officially planned, The Kerbal Cup.

It was linked to FIFA last year and seeing as this year there isn't a big game, there hasn't been a Kerbin Cup. Last year it happened around June 10th, which passed a few weeks ago. I'd be happy to run one though... if it got enough important people to back it. And a worthy prize for the winning team.

Prize= free entry into kerbal-kon 2015

Sorry for wrecking your train of thought here, but I think that a) you are vastly underestimating the time needed to organize a Kon and B) vastly overestimating the willingness of various convention groups to host a Kon that hundreds (if not thousands) of people would attend.

I stand by my earlier suggestion - a SQUAD approved convention at a gaming or aerospace meeting would be best (hence my suggestion of FlightSimCon for next year).

Not if there is only one person there to attend it. :wink:

First off, thanks for the poll! I've put a link to it in the original post.

From the limited data gathered so far, it seems as if a lot of people want to attend a convention on the West Coast... which is another vote in favor of the Spokane convention. Unfortunately, tickets aren't being sold for this convention, which means that either the convention is sold out or cancelled... or maybe just that ticket sales haven't started yet. I'm not sure. Regardless, we may need to find some more locations. Anyone up for some serious searching?

Sorry for wrecking your train of thought here, but I think that a) you are vastly underestimating the time needed to organize a Kon and B) vastly overestimating the willingness of various convention groups to host a Kon that hundreds (if not thousands) of people would attend.

You may be correct. (No worries about wrecking my train of thought; I want this convention to be the best it can possibly be if it happens, and your points are valid.)

I will, however, counter with the following statements:

a) most of the organizing would fall on the shoulders of the regional convention managers, who often have volunteered their time and energy to make the convention a success. If we simply use an existing convention as a way to get together, individual community members really don't have all that much to do to make this plan a success, do they? I'm wondering what I'm 'vastly underestimating the time needed to organize,' perhaps you can clarify this a bit :)

B) pretty much all conventions strive for increased traffic, as this leads to more money for the convention, the vendors, and the local community. Perhaps convention staff would not approve of our presence if the population of the convention doubled, but they probably wouldn't mind selling several hundred extra tickets if they could do so without overwhelming the con (kon?).

Oh, and do you really think that thousands of people may attend? I had tentatively decided that the KSP population of such an event would be, at most, about 500. Five hundred extra people wouldn't be too much for a medium-sized convention to accomodate, as far as I know. I just pulled the number 500 out of a metaphorical hat, though, and I'm not sure how many people would actually end up attending.

I stand by my earlier suggestion - a SQUAD approved convention at a gaming or aerospace meeting would be best (hence my suggestion of FlightSimCon for next year).

I would love for this to happen too, though it seems as if SQUAD is rather reluctant to arrange a major space at a convention themselves. You're likely in a better position than me to ask whether they would be willing to arrange a major event at FlightSimCon or elsewhere; it might be worth asking about.

I did PM KasperVld to ask whether creating this sort of thing would be okay, though he hasn't replied yet... perhaps he'll offer some other ideas as well.

-Upsilon

You could always fly over to the UK and come to my house to host the convention.:cool:

Must be a mansion.

Also, who voted for the southern statss (How can you peoppe understand the 95% of southernors who have the accent?!), and who voted for antartica?

Must be a mansion.

Also, who voted for the southern statss (How can you peoppe understand the 95% of southernors who have the accent?!), and who voted for antartica?

There must be some KSP fans at the Antarctic research station! Or some snarky voters. I bet the latter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.