Prograde and Retrograde approaches to the Mun

Leaving Kerbal orbit for the Mun I use a Maneuver Node. I am unable to tell if this will put me on a Prograde approach or a Retrograde approach until I transition in to the gravity field of the Mun. I can always make a correction but would like to avoid that if possible. Is there a way to tell when creating the Maneuver Node?

Edited by teatime

When you have the encounter with the Mun, switch your focus to the Mun and you can see your trajectory line near the Mun. You will also see a small marker to show where you will leave the Mun's SOI. That will show you which way you will end up once you have Munar insertion.

Happy landings!

switch your focus to the Mun

By the way, when I switch focus, it's often very hard to refocus on my ship once my maneuver is done. Sometimes double-clicking the ship doesn't work, so I have to switch to another ship then switch back, or press F5/F9.

By the way, when I switch focus, it's often very hard to refocus on my ship once my maneuver is done. Sometimes double-clicking the ship doesn't work, so I have to switch to another ship then switch back, or press F5/F9.

To switch focus back to the ship in map mode, press backspace.

As Starhawk said, focus Mun. Your hyperbolic trajectory must always be counter-clockwise. Remember : you'll enter the SOI by the line side and exit by round symbole side. If youn rotate the Mun view so the entry point comes from the bottom, your trajectory/periaps must always pass/be on the right side of he mun (or any other body).

If you're not in that case, create a node few minutes away and tweak it to be in that configuration. Those mid-course corrections are usually cheap.

-> For a simple flyby, or single landing : prefer an equatorial orbit

-> For a science stripping : prefer a polar orbit with a mother ship/space station.

Please note that some missions require clockwise orbits : some satelites placement, some crew recovery, some junk recovery.

One more hint as to which side you approach is to judge by the resulting gravity assist maneuver. If it's a speeding up one (and you end up with an orbit with significantly higher periapsis, or with an escape trajectory) it's prograde. If your new orbit leads to a direct fall to Kerbin, you've aimed for retrograde. And if your orbit goes way high above and below, you're in for Polar.

...or collision course.

Edited by Sharpy

As previous posters have suggested, set your focus to the Mun to see your trajectory there (you can use backspace afterwards to restore focus to your ship).

Note that you can still tinker with your maneuver node that's over near Kerbin, even while focused on the Mun; this is very useful for fine tuning your periapsis. For best efficiency, you want to aim for as low a periapsis as possible.

I usually just 'Tab' or 'Left-Shift Tab' in the map view until I get back to my ship - you will cycle through Minmas, Duna, ..., Eeloo, and back to your ship. If reverse-tabbing, you will cycle through Moho and back to your ship. Personally I find that easier than re-selecting my rocket, particularly in (crowded!) low Kerbin orbits.

I usually just 'Tab' or 'Left-Shift Tab' in the map view until I get back to my ship - you will cycle through Minmas, Duna, ..., Eeloo, and back to your ship. If reverse-tabbing, you will cycle through Moho and back to your ship. Personally I find that easier than re-selecting my rocket, particularly in (crowded!) low Kerbin orbits.

So did I, until I found out that backspace focuses on your ship :).

Changing conics draw mode changes how the Mun portion looks from Kerbin, but you'll ALWAYS see the fly-by right while looking at the Mun.

Also, I don't like to use left-shift-tab, too many mishaps with thrust. Backspace and tab out again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.