[1.0.5] VX Series - Stockalike Engine Pack (No longer supported)

Randazzo

Lrhli1f.png

Download: Spacedock | Curse

Release License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Pre-Release Versions 1.3.31 and later are ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

VX Series Engine Pack - gap fillers and specialty engines

5TTxAU9.png

nMvudfO.png

Designed to fill in the gap in the 1.25m engines as a heavy lift engine.

meWOgsC.png

FMgF4ay.png

A shrouded aerospike engine suitable for landing on bodies with an atmosphere, though it can be used in other roles. Low profile and surface attachable housing simplifies lander design.

aIEnUJI.png

SybulOt.png

Extremely efficient in a vacuum, utterly useless in atmosphere. 1.25m variant.

GMEWVrJ.png

B5AMMQT.png

Extremely efficient in a vacuum, utterly useless in atmosphere. 2.5m variant.

vNxq3p3.png

baZieFq.png

A larger, more powerful orbital operations engine. Slightly less efficient than it's smaller siblings.

ez6bEPJ.png

l4BFIM4.png

Bridges the gap between the Skipper and the Mainsail.

LUgnS56.png

hlzZhCO.png

A powerful 2.5m heavy lift engine that outclasses the Mainsail.

yQYyGoz.png

QDz0wRY.png

At half the mass of the 48-7S, the VADULE allows for more efficient tiny probe design. Extremely fragile. Don't land on it.

What's New

Delete the previous version before installing

Version 1.2.1

• Heat Emissive animations fixed

Edited by Randazzo

these are quite nice. though the orbiter engines are a bit unbalanced, i knocked their isp down to 365 and doubled their mass in the configs for my game.

I wanted an engine that would allow me to tool about around Kerbin and it's moons without much fuss, and thus the Impulse engines were born. They both pack less thrust than their counterparts (Terrier, Poodle) to keep them limited to orbital roles instead of powering interplanetary vehicles, though I imagine you could do so if you were really patient and you'd probably get better performance out of a more powerful engine. Pigeonholing them in this manner was intended to be the balance.

I wanted an engine that would allow me to tool about around Kerbin and it's moons without much fuss, and thus the Impulse engines were born. They both pack less thrust than their counterparts (Terrier, Poodle) to keep them limited to orbital roles instead of powering interplanetary vehicles, though I imagine you could do so if you were really patient and you'd probably get better performance out of a more powerful engine. Pigeonholing them in this manner was intended to be the balance.

there is one other factor in their favor, which is how low profile they are.

and i did only describe what i did for my game, im not saying that's what everyone should have to play :wink:

Beautiful job on the texture! When will the day come that I will learn to texture that good? (probably never. --; )

I mean, they look so stock alike! Did you just get some of the stock engine textures, and remix them into these? Or are they scratch?

there is one other factor in their favor, which is how low profile they are.

and i did only describe what i did for my game, im not saying that's what everyone should have to play :wink:

True. I may or may not have been using them as Mun lander engines lately. ;)

Beautiful job on the texture! When will the day come that I will learn to texture that good? (probably never. --; )

I mean, they look so stock alike! Did you just get some of the stock engine textures, and remix them into these? Or are they scratch?

Mostly from scratch. I "borrowed" the safety tape edges and (what I presume to be) the fuel line texture for the top from one of the stock engines.

This post by Porkjet really opened a door for me. You can see the difference (or I can) between the Yellowjacket (the first one I created) and the Constellation (done after reading that post).

And thanks for the compliments to everyone, I'm pleased you all like it. :)

Edited by Randazzo

True. I may or may not have been using them as Mun lander engines lately. ;)

Mostly from scratch. I "borrowed" the safety tape edges and (what I presume to be) the fuel line texture for the top from one of the stock engines.

This post by Porkjet really opened a door for me. You can see the difference (or I can) between the Yellowjacket (the first one I created) and the Constellation (done after reading that post).

And thanks for the compliments to everyone, I'm pleased you all like it. :)

Oh, ok thank you. :D

I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but the Mark IV Space Planes parts mod has a small engine used for Vtols called the yellow jacket, Just in case you wanted to keep names from repeating.

Didn't know that. Perhaps I'll switch over to "Hornet".

Ooooooh! I can't wait for that! :D

Although, that kinda means I have the Quadroodle form the Taurus pack, my own engine, the Rottweiler, AND this... But still! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah! That sounds cool! :D

Sorry I missed your comment, this thing gets buried fast.

And you may have those things, but do those things have five independently gimbaling nozzles? ;)

Actually it might end up with only four. I'm really having a stinker of a time finding a setup I like for it. It somehow always comes out looking too bulky or as if it should be much more powerful of an engine.

Edited by Randazzo

It seems that your mod is doing alot better than mine... lol. XD

I like to think our mods are related, as they both fill in current game gaps. But just in different ways. Like mine does this:

Mainsail, Skipper, Poodle.

Swivel, Private, Terrier.

But yours fills in the ACTUAL gaps, from 1.25 to 2.5.

It seems that your mod is doing alot better than mine... lol. XD

I like to think our mods are related, as they both fill in current game gaps. But just in different ways. Like mine does this:

Mainsail, Skipper, Poodle.

Swivel, Private, Terrier.

But yours fills in the ACTUAL gaps, from 1.25 to 2.5.

The Hornet and Constellation plug what I thought were gaps, but the rest are just things I wanted. ;)

I like these, it's always nice to see someone new adding some engine variety.

Glad you like them. I was a little worried that KSP needed another part pack like I need a hole in the head, but those packs are usually pretty part hefty. Keeping this relatively small, I can spin mild laziness into a selling point. lol

Dude, Randazzo, stop. My gamedata is approaching singularity-level awesomeness after adding this. the impending rerelease of the Mk4 system will probably cause my install to implode.

Just kidding, keep making more awesomeness.

That's a pretty awesome compliment, thanks!

One more little bit of mass to add to that sigularity: The "Catalyst" 3.75m orbital engine is available on GITHUB.

It'll be added to the main pack when I update the release, but it's playable and available for anyone who wants it now.

Parts look great. I'll give this a whirl tomorrow. In looking at the stats, though, it seems like the two impulse engines and the VAD are somewhat OP (almost as much thrust, lower weight, smaller form factor, higher Isp) compared to stock. The impulse and the VAD in particular would likely muscle out the Terrier and 48-7S. If you're really intending them as orbital engines, maybe they could be non-throttleable? I know that some of the Realism Overhaul engines operate that way, and if it could easily be added, it would make it very difficult to use them as lander engines, bringing the balance closer back to stock. (I'm not a modder, BTW, and have no idea how easy or difficult what I'm proposing would be...)

The Hornet and Constellation plug what I thought were gaps, but the rest are just things I wanted. ;)

Oh, well I guess that is true. So they're kinda related?

- - - Updated - - -

Parts look great. I'll give this a whirl tomorrow. In looking at the stats, though, it seems like the two impulse engines and the VAD are somewhat OP (almost as much thrust, lower weight, smaller form factor, higher Isp) compared to stock. The impulse and the VAD in particular would likely muscle out the Terrier and 48-7S. If you're really intending them as orbital engines, maybe they could be non-throttleable? I know that some of the Realism Overhaul engines operate that way, and if it could easily be added, it would make it very difficult to use them as lander engines, bringing the balance closer back to stock. (I'm not a modder, BTW, and have no idea how easy or difficult what I'm proposing would be...)

Well, the Vadule has a 4m/s crash tolerence.

All the engines will be receiving minor balance adjustments now that I've had time to play a career game with them installed up to the point where I'm expected to start executing Jool missions, which I think has given me a better grasp of them than the playtesting I was working on before.

The orbital engines have been slightly debuffed, slightly lower thrusts and slightly lower ISP, but not by much. The Impulse is the closest in thrust to it's counterpart (now at 40), but the Big Impulse currently provides 130 thrust, and I'm toning that down to 120 which is less than half the poodle. They also unlock at different points in the tech tree and are more expensive than their respective counterparts. I'm pretty satisfied with the changes.

The VADULE is definitely the most guilty of parties, and I'll just come out and admit it's a return to the OP 48-7s of pre-1.0 lore. I liked it. ;)

some real fuel .cfg would be nice also that way u can as u add engines easlity update it without it all being at once

I'll have to look into it, I've never used real fuels.

some real fuel .cfg would be nice also that way u can as u add engines easlity update it without it all being at once
I'll have to look into it, I've never used real fuels.

RF configs for engines generally are released as a part of an engine config "pack", since they require a bunch of specific items to be set and RF is used both in stock-ish installs and RO installs.

I've been watching this mod for a bit, and I was going to set up the Vanguard engines in the Stockalike pack. So, unless you wanted to do it yourself specifically (which is perfectly, just let me know so we can make sure there are no conflicts!), I can release the RF configs with Stockalike. RO generally has other specific needs (like an engine to resemble visually the one they are recreating), so I'll leave those configs to the RO team if they want.

RF configs for engines generally are released as a part of an engine config "pack", since they require a bunch of specific items to be set and RF is used both in stock-ish installs and RO installs.

I've been watching this mod for a bit, and I was going to set up the Vanguard engines in the Stockalike pack. So, unless you wanted to do it yourself specifically (which is perfectly, just let me know so we can make sure there are no conflicts!), I can release the RF configs with Stockalike. RO generally has other specific needs (like an engine to resemble visually the one they are recreating), so I'll leave those configs to the RO team if they want.

I'm quite happy to leave it in your hands, I was just perusing the RF Stockalike Configs post and being confused. lol

I'm quite happy to leave it in your hands, I was just perusing the RF Stockalike Configs post and being confused. lol

It's a bit less complicated than it seems. There's just a lot of moving parts to remember. I use generators to make all of my configs, so I don't have to worry about the math. I can't begin to imagine having to do the configs from scratch every time.

At any rate, the engines will be ready to go in the next "release" of Stockalike.