Two things that tend to get in the way when playing

abowl

Hello,

Unfortunately the nav ball sometimes gets in the way when trying to for example land. There is a mod for that, that lets you slide the navball to the left or right. Very usefull. But when it comes to EVA missions how do you guys go about it? In my experience the kerbal tends to be in the way more often than not. When playing with KIS i can imagine this a real pita. But even collecting science and resetting experiments on EVA can be a bit of pain. Is there a first person mod or something like that, that helps with the EVA stuff? :) Thank you

Huh, I've never had a problem with the Kerbal on EVA being in the way, except once with an early version of KAC I accidentally attached a pipe to the Kerbal's head. Nothing good happened on that trip.

There was a 1st Person EVA mod but it's been idle for a year and I doubt it'd still work.

EDIT

There was a 1st Person EVA mod but it's been idle for 6 months and probably won't work in 1.0.

My biggest problem with EVA is being unable to change the Kerbal's orientation about the pitch axis (face-up or face-down). Yaw and roll, no problem, but pitch seems stuck on some orientation determined by how the Kerbal exits his pod, which works on the caprice of the Kraken so I can't predict what I'll end up with. This is quite annoying because it often means the Kerbal has to fly head-first or feet-first to the ship. Which is a problem because when he gets there, he can't grab the ladder with the top of his head or the soles of his boots. No, he has to hit the ladder/hatch with his belly or he can't grab it. And this happens no matter what view mode I have the camera set in.

I can, of course, click-and-drag to TEMPORARILY reorient the Kerbal in pitch, but as soon as I give the Kerbal a new movement command, he reverts to his original orientation even if I've rotated the camera beforehand.

Aaarrrggghhh!

Fortunately, there's a mod for just this problem: Taniwha's FreeEVA. I only just noticed this has been updated to 1.x :)

- - - Updated - - -

And here I thought "cat" was going to be one of them.

LOL, yup, I definitely have this problem. Not only does my cat enjoy jumping up on my keyboard when I'm playing the game, but he LOVES to hit the spacebar and then bat at the prematurely staged rocket parts as they fly across the screen :).

Hello,

There is a mod for that, that lets you slide the navball to the left or right. Very usefull.

I am interested and wish to know more... I've been trying to find this for a while but for some reason it exists in some sort of magical blind spot for me.

Ah, beautiful. Thank you. I needed to get slapped in the face with it.

To highlight just how egregious my blind spot was (is), I had looked at this several times (because "Enhanced Navball" just sounds like a mod that would offer that feature) but managed to miss the "sliding navball" feature every time, and only notice the "vector ghosting" featureâ€â€because apparently my brain decided that a mod that contained both of those was too far-fetched. :blush:

By far the biggest problem for me is RAM allocation (#modittillitcrashes). I need 64 bit Kerbal. Like to the point where I'm almost ready to install Linux specifically for that purpose.

A first-person in-helmet view whilst on EVA would be pretty sweet. Especially if it has Chatterer integration for breathing sounds. :)

Wait, that isn't a stock feature already? o.O Wait, is that Hullcam that adds that ability? Gah! Well, anyway, in my (heavily modded) install, I can right click on an EVA'd Kerbal and "switch to camera" which places me in an in-helmet view. Yeah, that's probably Hullcam VDS.

. . . is it bad that I genuinely have no idea what features are modded and what are stock anymore?

Edited by JDCollie

By far the biggest problem for me is RAM allocation (#modittillitcrashes). I need 64 bit Kerbal. Like to the point where I'm almost ready to install Linux specifically for that purpose.

If you're not already, might I recommend force-running the game in DirectX 11? I've had some (pretty) good success with this in my own over-modding 32-bit endeavors (although I feel your "about to break down and install Linux" pain), although I still can't get everything to run in cohort with Astronomer's Interstellar visual pack.

I hate using OpenGL because of the lack of shadows. :rolleyes:

If you're not already, might I recommend force-running the game in DirectX 11? I've had some (pretty) good success with this in my own over-modding 32-bit endeavors (although I feel your "about to break down and install Linux" pain), although I still can't get everything to run in cohort with Astronomer's Interstellar visual pack.

I hate using OpenGL because of the lack of shadows. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I'll give that a try. Thanks :D

My biggest problem with EVA is being unable to change the Kerbal's orientation about the pitch axis (face-up or face-down). Yaw and roll, no problem, but pitch seems stuck on some orientation determined by how the Kerbal exits his pod, which works on the caprice of the Kraken so I can't predict what I'll end up with. This is quite annoying because it often means the Kerbal has to fly head-first or feet-first to the ship. Which is a problem because when he gets there, he can't grab the ladder with the top of his head or the soles of his boots. No, he has to hit the ladder/hatch with his belly or he can't grab it. And this happens no matter what view mode I have the camera set in.

I can, of course, click-and-drag to TEMPORARILY reorient the Kerbal in pitch, but as soon as I give the Kerbal a new movement command, he reverts to his original orientation even if I've rotated the camera beforehand.

Aaarrrggghhh!

Fortunately, there's a mod for just this problem: Taniwha's FreeEVA. I only just noticed this has been updated to 1.x :)

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, yup, I definitely have this problem. Not only does my cat enjoy jumping up on my keyboard when I'm playing the game, but he LOVES to hit the spacebar and then bat at the prematurely staged rocket parts as they fly across the screen :).

I've found this situation an extreme annoyance since I first started playing the game. I think I even put in a request about it at one point. How I missed the FreeEVA mod?... I don't know. I'm going to check it out though. Thanks for making note of this.

Still, what FreeEVA does should IMO be stock game... same with docking cameras. I'm still so patiently waiting for Romfarer to update this mod - or see to it being included stock.

Edit:

Checked out that mod. Excellent! I'm happy again ... well, partially anyway. Docking cameras.

Edited by LordFerret
results

Don't forget the crap contract system that has you landing on Eve with 3,000 units of ore and requires you to launch from Eve with 3,000 units of ore... after your first Mun landing no less...

Contracts are the cancer of the game.

Don't forget the crap contract system that has you landing on Eve with 3,000 units of ore and requires you to launch from Eve with 3,000 units of ore... after your first Mun landing no less...

Contracts are the cancer of the game.

To you. I enjoy the challenge they present. No I do not take every single contract that comes my way, but more often than not, I find them forcing me to think creatively and problem solve something I normally would not do. I wish there were more ways to earn cash, but contracts are a valid method.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.