[WIP] Nuclear Warfare [No Longer Supported]

HiAmerica

If i'm reading this right, I could fire this at the second landing strip and it would destroy the ksc? Doesn't that seem just a little bit over powered, I don't think that the largest thing we have today is that big.

edit: Grammar and spelling

dude we have more powerful nukes than you might think, if you want to see how powerful then use this online sim http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/.

• 2 weeks later...

Two Things...

One, From what I'm reading.... this will destroy about half the planet with one explosion? That does seem a bit OP. Yes, we have have nukes of that size, but shouldn't it be scaled down to match the game? Like a 10km radius bomb would be sufficient, and would scale appropriately for gameplay. IRL, one nuke takes out one city, not all of them. Or maybe I'm misreading this.

Two, As to ICBM's, I have a functioning one in BDA, but it deploys 4 Jdams not nukes, but switching over would be easy. As I'm still learning the new targeting systems, It currently uses legacy targeting. It's a 2 stage missile/rocket, with enough DV to orbit. Initial launch takes it to 200k-ish on an inclination that takes it towards the target, and then what remains of the second stage, it fine tunes the reentry to reenter at a steep angle on a target. The payload is shrouded, and that is jettisoned at 50k above the target, with the idea that the second stage engine/tank plus the fairing shrapnel will add radar returns and hopefully confuse radar tracking. The payload has a small probe core, 2 drogue chutes for stability, a service bay for batteries and C&C parts, And 4 Jdams on a long truss. Whole thing is capped with a heat shield, which is jettisoned when you pop the chutes. I can get the weapon on any target on the planet in 15 minutes or so from launch. I use MechJeb to help with the reentry adjustments, as it takes in account planet rotation.

• 3 weeks later...
any way you could make/add a missile/cruise-missile that can be launched from low orbit? every time i try launch missiles(Nuke or Non-nuke) from orbit to surface they just burn in atmo. :mad:

Hey, that is just an excuse to go all out with over engineering a re-entry vehicle for the missile. Launch it inside a fairing and strip the fairing once it has slowed down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.