[Closed] KSP Experimental Tester Applications! Thanks to all who applied!

Ted

On the matter of being 18 or older to apply, it is due to persons under 18 in most countries not being able enter into legally binding contracts. In full transparency, there are ways around this with parents or guardians entering into the NDA on behalf of you and we have in the past done this on one occasion but don't plan to do so this time around. Additionally, the age requirement is also to do with experience, not just professional but interpersonal. I'm sure many of us have cringed at the things we used to post online back in our teens.

Professionally, we are looking for people with some experience in testing and general scientific methodology. This is mainly because the Experimental Team isn't a mass of hands to throw a build to, they're experienced testers who can follow detailed test cases and know what areas of the game are likely to break in different scenarios. Thankfully, and hopefully, we're past the point where we need a group for the former!

As always, exceptions can be made for, well, exceptional applicants. So please do apply even if you're under 18, even if just to give me something to read, and you never know. :)

Thanks!

Edited by Ted

Demonstrating your skills in problem solving and report writing, together with helping others troubleshoot goes a long way. The support section of the forums, and especially the bug tracker are excellent arenas to showcase your abilities. Regardless of your age or qualifications, we are always impressed with people that go out of their way to help, so beyond the current application form, build a reputation for yourself as a potential tester too.

Good luck to all those applying by the way.

I applied even though the age limit is definitely broken. My parents (or should I say, parent) would be glad to sign it for me and make sure I did it.

YAY FOR UNITY EXPERIENCE

ALSO A LITTLE BIT OF BUG REPORTING EXPERIENCE

On the matter of being 18 or older to apply, it is due to persons under 18 in most countries not being able enter into legally binding contracts. In full transparency, there are ways around this with parents or guardians entering into the NDA on behalf of you and we have in the past done this on one occasion but don't plan to do so this time around. Additionally, the age requirement is also to do with experience, not just professional but interpersonal. I'm sure many of us have cringed at the things we used to post online back in our teens.

Professionally, we are looking for people with some experience in testing and general scientific methodology. This is mainly because the Experimental Team isn't a mass of hands to throw a build to, they're experienced testers who can follow detailed test cases and know what areas of the game are likely to break in different scenarios. Thankfully, and hopefully, we're past the point where we need a group for the former!

As always, exceptions can be made for, well, exceptional applicants. So please do apply even if you're under 18, even if just to give me something to read, and you never know. :)

Thanks!

Thanks Ted! I applied anyway even though I'm not 18 yet.

Well I've applied again, all I can hope is that some of the people that consistently spot bugs just after release are some of the ones that get chosen to spot the bugs before release...

I can't apply even if I wanted to, I asked my parents and they were afraid that my computer would "die". They're afraid of everything XD.

Your parents need to relax a little. Computers these days have so many fail safes it's incredible.

Besides, my parents let me do all sorts of experimental stuff on my computer when I was a teenager. This was even back before computers had all the fail safes. The way they saw it, doing so was educational. (The educational argument works very well.)

Your parents need to relax a little. Computers these days have so many fail safes it's incredible.

Besides, my parents let me do all sorts of experimental stuff on my computer when I was a teenager. This was even back before computers had all the fail safes. The way they saw it, doing so was educational. (The educational argument works very well.)

They HATE excuses, let me tell you.

Thanks!

Ah heck, why not? Applied. :)

Well, while I've definetly done bug reporting with various mods, I don't have any 'professional' experience. Also, I can definetly be detailed, though if you've seen any of my big report posts, they tend to be sort of run on, but yeah, I just like to write down my progress I guess?

Would it be fine with that kind of thing?

Ah heck, why not? Applied. :)

To all the people who are underage and are applying anyway: Why do you do this? You know you won't be accepted and you are just giving additional work to a person who will have to deny all those invalid applications.

Now imagine that this person could do some actual work to make KSP better in that time instead of having to go through all those requests...

Also, if you can't fill this form correctly, how do you expect Squad to believe you can fill a bug report? :)

Thanks!

To all the people who are underage and are applying anyway: Why do you do this? You know you won't be accepted and you are just giving additional work to a person who will have to deny all those invalid applications.

Now imagine that this person could do some actual work to make KSP better in that time instead of having to go through all those requests...

Also, if you can't fill this form correctly, how do you expect Squad to believe you can fill a bug report? :)

Thats why. Read one page back and you will often find your answer :)

Because I believe I could work to make the game better. I also found the form fairly simple to complete.

And besides, for anything but a contract, what difference does being one year underage make? Especially when Ted has expressed that one should apply anyways?

If people don't apply, and they are exceptional, then we miss out on the chance to work with exceptional people regardless of age. Is worth the time, especially if you can demonstrate those values that the "Tednical Director" outlines. That said he will have lots of applications, so if your not lucky enough to get chosen, there is always next time

Incorrectly filled out forms are easy one to exclude when parsing applicants

In the time between applying for this and now, I've made an account on the bug tracker. Is there a way I can update my application to reflect this?

Unfortunately not, sorry.

And yepp, Starwhip, TriggerAu and Vanamonde hit the nail on the head :)

To apply as a tester or not, so many little things are bugging me to a point to stop playing and streaming...

Just the NDA is killing me as I would love to do this during stupid things for people to lol about :/

Ted, befor I consider this, in what stage is the Unity 5 testing in?

I will only apply if there is a chance we can help make sure that the Unity 5 release is stable from the get go as that`s where the future of KSP lies.

I also want to ask a tiny little question regarding our time reporting bugs, because of ancient simple bugs that the community fixes in hours after a release, not getting fixed in the KSP code (stock bug fix modules) the next release, wich is quite embarrassing to say the least when helping people "oh don`t worry, that`s just stock and is an old bug".

I have done alpha, beta and Bughunter for CCP (eve-online) so I know how it works.

question: I mentioned in my application that I was building a new machine. Is it possible to update the specs in the application without actually submitting it again? (specs are inside the application for the new machine)

question: I mentioned in my application that I was building a new machine. Is it possible to update the specs in the application without actually submitting it again? (specs are inside the application for the new machine)

You can't change your application once it's submitted.

Just submit it again.