Whats your favourite rocket?

Tristonwilson12

Definately Ares I, I just like the desing of rocket and Orion too. And I like the purpose of something like car to near earth space for people too(I know it is done by many many other rockets like R7...)

Then Falcon 9FT and Saturn V

Ares_I-X_launch_08.jpg

Edited by Toonu

On ‎07‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 10:58 AM, p1t1o said:

"Rocket" rocket? Sprint missile:

sprint2.jpg

'fraid there're faster ones. Can't beat Mach 25.

cZRdd.jpg

On ‎07‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 10:58 AM, p1t1o said:

Honourable mention, Daedalus:

Daedalus_SV_sml.jpg

I'll make a dastardly mention, then.

ProjectOrion-Starboard.jpg

@DDE "Gazelles" amIrite? Sure there are faster ones now, but Sprint had spunk back in the day. If speed is your thing, then even that teeny Saturn V in the Daedalus pic is faster than a Gazelle :wink: if a little less..."energetic"...at launch :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has to be the Atlas family of rockets. To be honest the Titan was my favorite for a long time because of it's versatility and just plain awesomeness of it, but in the last year or so I have come to love the Atlas family more; mostly because it's been one of the only rockets to rival the Soyuz family of rockets.

Atlas_Line.jpg

12651101_10154003099937074_2785444164860

launch-vehicles-atlas-rocket-family-3-co

The Atlas rocket family was one that started out as a ballistic missile in the late 50s and then became the rocket we used to launch an American man to orbit! Then the same version of the Atlas that launched Glenn into space was continued to be used until 2003 (the 3B configuration). The Atlas continued to be upgraded with the newer technologies that were being developed throughout the decades until we have the vehicle we have today :) . The Atlas has carried man into orbit and continues to carry equally as historical payloads such as Curiosity, Juno and Horizons. It's been a long 50 years, but one where it's been flying for us reliably. Long live the Atlas!

Atlas V is very different from the SM-65 Atlas missile.

On July 14, 2016 at 9:17 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

The SLS for sure, even though its still in development, who wouldn't like this beast?

Space-Launch-System-SLS-NASA-KSC-LC-39A-

Me. I don't like it one bit. Although mostly because it's drowning in bureaucracy. It needs more engines, and not some leftover shuttle ones either.

It also has little to do with the shuttle. Just the SSMEs.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

Delta 4 because it'll be the first I see in person!

HYPE FOR NEXT THURSDAY!!!

Wow... do tell! I've seen the Saturn V at the Houston Space Center and at the Huntsville Space Center. In Louisiana/Mississippi at the Stennis Space Center (it sits on the state line), they have a Saturn V first stage engine. My daughter was three years old at the time and I am 5'5" (1.64 meters) tall.

SF2M84W.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The R-7 looks special in some way, its not the classic cylinder and boosters, it has more shapes, it it has been sending stuff into orbit for like over half a century.

Russia-Moscow-VDNH-Rocket_R-7-1.jpg

I was just barely 8 when the first manned moon rockets were launched (specifically Apollo 11).  I saw them on a small black and white TV, but wow it was so impressive.  It was real.  Sure I loved Star Trek, but this was real people going to the moon, it seemed to me that we would soon be going to the stars for real.  So when I think rocket, I still see in my mind a Saturn 5 headed up into the vast blue sky.

Edited by kBob

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 5:05 PM, NathanMcGuire30 said:

ASTP_Saturn_IB.jpg

My jaw just dropped. I think I know why they did it, but... there has to be a limit to how far you go to maintain commonality across systems.

Saturn V, hands down. The history, the background, the series of quantum leaps in tecnology just to get that thing going where it should go, the missions, the successes. A sure winner.

...followed by Delta 4 Heavy. That thing speaks business. "Aaarrr, I will get this payload into g**dd***ed space if it's the last thing I do". Respect.

17 hours ago, DDE said:

My jaw just dropped. I think I know why they did it, but... there has to be a limit to how far you go to maintain commonality across systems.

The Saturn IB was kind of designed to be a test for Saturn V components, so it has the same upper stage as the Saturn V.  The lower stage, however, is just a bunch of Juno and Thor rocket bodies strapped together with some engines on the bottom.  I agree, it is a cool rocket.

5 hours ago, NathanMcGuire30 said:

The Saturn IB was kind of designed to be a test for Saturn V components, so it has the same upper stage as the Saturn V.  The lower stage, however, is just a bunch of Juno and Thor rocket bodies strapped together with some engines on the bottom.  I agree, it is a cool rocket.

"Yo dawg, I put some rockets in your rocket..." Yeah, surprisingly effective Kerbal engineering.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.