The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

Woohoo! were riding a big fire cracker into the sky boys

http://i.imgur.com/d3PCvvW.png

New Ares 1 Rocket

Crew 8

Stages 3

almost 400t

parts about 150 or so

Download

If you want something that looks accurate but does not fly as well Download

Hey man, I will have a look at it today and see what I can do. Had a very rough night last night so it will be a bit later in the day..

That looks really awesome! Are there any plans for the delta IX launching Iris?

- - - Updated - - -

Just downloaded, and there are a few problems. When rolling to point east-west, the ares pushes over to the right, an I cannot get it pointed straight. Second, when staging for the second stage, it's set to release the fairing covering the fuel, and I don't think it is meant to. And third, upon circularizing, it nearly shakes itself apart.

Not unless it is in the book.

I did notice some of these problems, was just glad to get it into orbit for the first time really. If you fix anything let me know so I can include you in the list, thanks for testing!

I let it rise naturally on the SRB"s and then pushed it gently over at the end.

The second stage is a bit wobbly right now.

When I hit staged the second stage it was already around 30km up so the fairing was just deadweight by then.

It is in the book, if you haven't read it I won't spoil it for you. I can give you my updates, if you want

I have read the book several times, I don't remember it specifically, and I am not sure it is necessary as part of the game play. I am reading it again to fill in details so I will see. Wikipedia says it was launched on a Pegasus XL. I would be ecstatic if you fixed issues and uploaded the craft file.

I just read it a couple of days ago, and it launched on a delta IX rocket, from what I remember. I will fix it up, and give you the file in a few hours.

I have been doing some work on it as well, you may want to test this version, it's 2 stages (like the original) it's much lighter and flies much better. 75 parts, 166t the SRB's will push your apoapsis to 100km and then a skipper (closer to the J-2X than the poodle and and not as overpowered as the Rhino) to circularise. It's close to the 2/3rd scale as well (it's 10m short, from the silhouette it's the upper stage that is short). Might need an empty tank to extend it a bit.

Download

aHSa8uY.png

Edited by selfish_meme

Are you sure that you want this to be near real- scale and the rest ksp scale?

I am not going for a scale replica, more of an functional/aesthetic one, if they happen to coincide then that's good but not necessary, the only reason I mentioned it was it happened to be close and the second stage was looking short. Functional first, aesthetic second and scale last.

Yup, just saw Hadrian's Wall, and anyways I apologize for the temporary thread derail.

What about Stonehenge? I've always wanted to see it, but a few complications have arisen by the fact that I live on a different continent than it.

OK Ares 1 work is at a good spot, I did some work on a Duna Descent Vehicle as well. Seats 6 (tick) is a tin can (tick) has multiple chutes (tick) has thrusters to control descent (tick) has enough TWR for a short hop (tick). From the book I imagined something rough and ungainly. This is what I came up with.

hvSE4ci.png

spbqswF.png

T7AxjaY.png

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am in love with fairings, they are so useful for crafting ships.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.