Needed: Small Eve Lander/Return Vessel

I'm not sure if this has been done before but I'm looking for a small Eve return vessel to get some Kerbals off of the planet. You see I set up a colony in a previous version of the game and now in version 1.0 the rules of the universe have changed and none of the return vehicles work any more. I've ported the save file to version 1.0 - you can download it here to see what I'm up against (it's a sandbox game). So I guess my question is: What is the smallest craft that you can get into orbit from the surface of Eve with one Kerbal on board?

E3aYnRk.png

All I need is a craft that can drop down from Eve orbit to the surface and return back into Eve orbit with at least one Kerbal on board. It doesn't need to be an SSTO, just something small and compact. My poor Kerbals are going stir crazy and want to get home!

03Y3vnF.png

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

I wonder how my pre 1.0 EVE sea lvl 4 seats lifting craft doing in 1.0. Anyone care to test it out for me?

I remember it, I am not sure it will work properly. Are you seriously interested in a test?

Edited by Signo

Picking through the photos I think I found your Eve9 lifter. I'm pretty sure that's not going to do the job now. The problem is drag. You can have all the dV you like but with Eve's thick and deep atmosphere you will lose all the dV fighting your way up. Your craft now has to be thin and tall, or at least made of a few thin and tall stages, all topped (and preferably bottomed too) with nosecones.

I've tried a couple of times and unfortunately the drag from the heavy atmosphere will stop any craft from reaching orbit unless it is very aerodynamic (also my base is nearly at sea-level). I think I'll test out Foxter's design next - I always like to make some changes to craft I download, hope you don't mind. I sort of need ladders so I can get the Kerbal on board...

JR

I've tried a couple of times and unfortunately the drag from the heavy atmosphere will stop any craft from reaching orbit unless it is very aerodynamic (also my base is nearly at sea-level). I think I'll test out Foxter's design next - I always like to make some changes to craft I download, hope you don't mind. I sort of need ladders so I can get the Kerbal on board...

JR

Just put a lander can on the bottom and transfer, you can leave the can on Eve when you take off.

They can now, it's only 4000m/s

On Eve the problem is not the delta-V it's the aerodynamic drag.

Thanks signo and JR. Very much appreciate your testing.

Unfortunately Sirine I don't have good news. I wasn't able to get your craft into orbit - once you get beyond about 50 m/s the drag just bogs you down too much... sorry.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.